75 Ohm connector on back of Phillips DVD surround system - what is it and how do I adapt it to F style?

Hello,

A friend of mine has a Phillips DVD / surround system that he bought for cheap somewhere. It has an FM tuner in it, and the FM antenna input is labeled 75 ohms, but the connector is not the standard 75 ohm coaxial "F" style. I suspect that it is either a proprietary style that Phillips uses, or more likely a European style that we don't generally see here in North America. It has a push-on type (unthreaded) outer ring about 10 mm in diameter. There is a hollow center pin of about 2.5 mm in diameter. I am looking for a way to adapt it to the "F" style. Does anyone know what this connector might be, and who makes an adapter for it?

thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Forsyth

Dave, I suspect the antenna socket is a standard 75 ohm PAL coaxial socket similar to that shown on this page

You will need a "F" female to PAL male adapter similar to part #1113 shown here

Ross Herbert

for

is

"F"

uses,

North

I am

this

I had the same problem last year. I asked here and they gave me a strange name, but it's generally called a Euro connector and I got the adapter from Radio Snack. Here's a URL. I believe it's the 278-265.

I put brackets on the above URL to see if it helps with the wrap problem. i don't think it will, from past memory.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Hi all,

I thought it might be a PAL connector, but I couldnt find any exact specs or good pics of one to verify.

many thanks!

Dave

Reply to
David Forsyth

It did as you should be able to see.

However, you have the wrong item as that is the same as the socket on the receiver with a hollow pin. The one you need is 278-261 which has a solid centre pin which guzzinta the centre hollow pin of the socket.

HTH

-- Graham W

PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial WIMBORNE
Wessex Dorset UK Astro Society's Web pages, Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

Reply to
Graham W

They were designed in the UK in the 1940s. The proper designation is "RECMF" (Radio and Electronic Manufacturers' Federation), but they were generally known as "Belling-Lee", since that's who made them. They also occurred on some UK made mobile radio gear that I crossed swords with in the 1970s, despite their being nominally 75 ohm. Usually made of aluminum. IMNSHO, they're crap.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Sounds like the standard antenna connector used in Britain (and Australia?). I've always known them as Belling Lee connectors. They are usually really cheap and nasty but I've been told that they are actually a very good impedance match - far better than the "UHF" or

239 connector.
--
Jim Backus OS/2 user since 1994
bona fide replies to j  backus  jita

for

is

coaxial "F"

Phillips uses,

North

in

For those non-natives, these are called PL-259 and SO-238 here in the 'states'. PL meaning plug, and SO, well you can guess that one. They can handle a kilowatt, but I wouldn't push a 'Belling-Lee' that far.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

You can get varying degrees of quality of the Belling Lee connector from different manufacturers.

PL-259's and SO-238's are also known by those names here in Australia, as well as probably most parts of the world.

Belling Lee 75 ohm RF connector as used in Australia and other countries.

PL-259 50 ohm connector

Regards David

Reply to
dmm

Those were originally military designations so everyone would use the same name even though they were replaced by newer designs on military radios.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida