3SK166A dual gate GaAs MES FET replacement?

Hello, I work at a physics lab and we have some custom hardware that have been developed by researches along the years. We are trying to fix one of them, but it uses a component that we are having a hard time to find: It is a N-channel dual gate GaAs MES FET by Sony called 3SK166A.

We need help finding a compatible replacement for this component. Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards, Cassiano

Reply to
cassiano

Just from Googling, one broker claims to have stock on a 3SK166,

3SK166-1, and 3SK166A. I have never dealt with this broker before.

Brokers like this one buy up inventories of old parts from other suppliers, and/or send out random parts with false part numbers on them. Sometimes you will get the genuine part at a bargain price, and sometimes you will get a part that does not work at all.

I have cross-posted this reply to sci.electronics.design, which is much more active than sci.electronics.components . It also has people smarter than I am who might be able to suggest a replacement. :)

What claims to be the Sony datasheet is available at:

Some of the interesting parameters seem to be: Vds 8 V, Vgs -6 V, Id 80 mA, Pd 150 mW, gain about 20 dB. The datasheet gives S parameters and noise figures for a range of 200 to 2,000 MHz. The package is a Sony M-254; it doesn't list an EIA or JEDEC package code.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

They seem to have an Ebay presence as well, selling this part. It may be easier getting it from there.

JW

Hi, I have some 3SK166 (not -A) dual-gate FETs that I purchased as surplus stock from Down East Microwave Inc some years ago.

If you are interested I can mail you a couple of them at no cost. Just e-mail me your mail address and I'll ship them out to you.

David snipped-for-privacy@netscape.ca Toronto, CANADA

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

David Snowdon

If it doesn't absolutely have to be a GaS MESFET, the LO FET in a band IV/V UHF tuner will beat the original on maximum frequency and only slightly more noise figure.

IIRC, these are usually depletion mode DG-MOSFETs.

Reply to
Ian Field