16x2 Cyrillic LCD available in USA?

I'm looking for a small number (2-3) of standard 16x2 LCDs with a Cyrillic character ROM and the standard 7-wire/11-wire Hitachi-style interface. Backlighting is not important, and I can make do with almost any size. Standard Roman LCDs don't have enough user-defined character spaces for my needs.

Ideas?

Reply to
larwe

Didn't some of the Hitachi-chipped displays have user-defineable characters?

Deep.

Reply to
Deep Reset

Yes, it's documented in the controller datasheets (sometimes); however I have not found any module on the market that has a pure-RAM character generator. All of them have mask ROM plus a _few_ user- defined characters. Not enough to make up the different/missing letters.

Reply to
larwe

I had a suspicion that you are from sovok, but now it is more then a=20 suspicuon. =FA=C4=D2=C1=D7=D3=D4=D7=D5=CA=D4=C5, =C4=CF=D2=CF=C7=CF=CA =D4= =CF=D7=C1=D2=C9=DD =CB=C1=CB =D7=C1=D3 =D4=C1=CD =DA=CF=D7=D5=D4 =CE=C1 =D3= =C1=CD=CF=CD =C4=C5=CC=C5.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

"From" sovok?

I have no cultural affiliation with Mother Russia (the closest I get is that I want to take a tour of Pripyat).

I've simply been asked to mock up a Russian version of something that currently uses a 16x2/5x7 LCD.

Reply to
larwe

Hi,

LCD producers have a portfolio of a certain number of ROM resident font sets. Therefore I see here two ways:

  1. Find a supplier that has already produced an LCD with the Cyrillic font set. In this case, you pay just the 3 pieces you need.

  1. Place an order to a supplier, for custom LCD with the required font set. If you buy at least 2000 of these custom LCD, the supplier won't ask you the money for the tooling.

Enrico

Reply to
zigbee

Not located in the USA, but should be no problem to get.

Have a look at

, search for "LCD". The first of the LCD modules (fifth on the match list) returned this data sheet:

.

You can either figure out a way to buy from Comet in Sofia or find your way to the Taiwanese manufacturer directly.

Dimiter

Didi

Just an idea.. In true Russian style why not construct a complete new display from dot matrix LED modules. Totally impractical I know, but oh so typically Russian. :-)

The other daft idea was to disconnect the controller and put in place your own.

As I said, a bit daft, but more to cross off the list when presenting to Exec. You know, for some reason I thought that the Hitachi interface allowed the whole character set to be reprogrammed on the fly.

Is it possible to redefine a character, print it, and then redefine again. What I mean is, once the UDG is on the screen, can you then go back and output another.

Apologies for not being able to offer any solid answers.

Reply to
Aly

larwe wrote in news:1179080749.274560.197480 @w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I have one I pulled from an old laser printer (NEC silent writer 800 or something, I know it had a big board with a 68000 and a whole bunch of ROMs).

The custom code on the HD44780 is A67. This particular one is EL backlit.

Reply to
Gary Tait

No, I assume it refetches the character each scan. This can be used to useful effect when designing bargraphs, strength or charge indicators; the last Batron I used had only 8 UD characters (standard, I think) and I needed two strength indicators. I just wrote a routine in the ucontroller to redefine a pair of characters as required - so out of 2 characters I got a six point signal indicator...

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK...          Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
 'I find sometimes it?s easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it?s

Using only my steel dentures and solder reclaimed from stolen military electronics, melted over an open fire? :)

I'm looking for a drop-in replacement (more or less) for an existing circuit, where I can just wire it up, change a string table, and be on my way. If I'm going to have to go to significant trouble, then I'll just use a graphic LCD.

I'm aware of LCD controllers that offer a RAM-resident CG set for the whole font table, but I've never seen one in the wild (probably because it would waste so much ROM space in the host side of the equation). All the standard controllers only let you redefine a few characters, typically 16; the remainder are mask-ROM and you're given the option of a custom mask run.

No, the controller doesn't work that way. It's not like UDGs on the Spectrum (are you the same Aly as in c.s.s?) which are really just a fancy way of accessing a fully APA display.

Reply to
larwe

Weird! How do you know it has Cyrillic CGROM? (Or, was that information implicit in the ROM version?)

Reply to
larwe

Thanks for that one... I have found several similar vendors selling such products, but as yet have not successfully made contact with any of them.

Hmm. Suddenly, I wonder if Olimex might be able to help.

Wow, I bet you can help if my next project requires a character LCD with Klingon CGROM? ;)

Reply to
larwe

ÔÏ×ÁÒÉÝ is still a word in Russia? We (Czechs and Slovaks) ditched the equivalent word after 1989.

Roman

Reply to
Roman

ditched the

Word or not, in Google Groups it's unintelligible. I don't know what you're seeing in my quote above, but I'm just seeing garbage hi-ASCII.

Reply to
larwe

Coding page problem. The cyrillic from Vladimir shows fine and the word reads 'tovarish'.

Reply to
Roman

Ok, I went to Google Groups and it reeally shows as garbage even original Vladimir's post. In my Thunderbird it shows fine in both - Vladimir's and mine posts.

Oh, well. Year 2007, Unicode and all that buzz around it and they still cant get it right.

Reply to
Roman

OIC. I think the word has a retro feel, totally compatible with the "sovok" comment. So even if not in current usage, it's appropriate :)

Reply to
larwe

larwe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

What does it mean? I didn't think I knew any Russian beyond da, niet, and a few words picked up via Nadsat in 'A Clockwork Orange', but that one is definitely familiar somehow, but I can't remember why.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

nm, I went Googling.. I'm interested in whether it still has a formalised use though.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan