10 position rotary switch with momentary button?

Does anyone know where I can get a rotary switch that has 10 positions, and when you push it, it is a momentary switch?

I don't know if anything like this even exists really.

It could have 10 distinct contacts for the rotary, or it could be bcd... either way would be fine by me.

If it exists, I'd like it to be pretty small... like 1/2" wide and

1/2" tall... give or take a bit.

Thanks for any help. I've been looking around... and I haven't found a 10 position rotary switch that you can also push like a button.

Buzz

Reply to
buzzweetman

I'm not sure if such beast exists, the closest would be a push button, a debounce circuit (such as NAND gates), a 4017, and transistors to control whatever you wanted to control.

--
sales@platshop.com disgust me.  sales@platshop.com spams a lot in game
so I am posting sales@platshop.com as often as possible so sales@platshop.com

Interesting... but in my case, I really do want a rotating knob.

Anyone else?

Reply to
buzzweetman

If you need only one, build your own. I would find a BIG knob that would fit the shaft of mthe rotary switch. I would then install a very small pushbutton into the knob and wire it in series with your single point of contact that rotates. This would work only if your switch had a stop at the end so you wouldn't endlessly twist your wires.

Otherwise, drill a hole through the center of your shaft all the way through. Affix a pushbutton to the underside and place a plunger into the hole. Have th plunger stick out a little on the top and cover it with a flexible membrane. So when you push on the plunger, it then contacts your pushbutton and completes the circuit. Even use a microswitch for the pushbutton.

Yeah, it's a little work, but as a hobbyist, I do this kind of stuff all the time. And if it's for production, you have a prototype for a switch house to make for you if it's economically feasible for you.

Al

Reply to
Al

Al wrote in news:no.spam- snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Another DIY idea is to take a pot apart and use the shaft and wiper part, with the bushing that holds it. Etch a track pattern of copper clad board to form ten sectors and use the wiper to select them, and a hole through the centre to allow a push along the shaft axis to push a switch contact closed. How well this can work depends on far too many things to post about, you'll have to look at a few pots and pushbuttons to see if something will adapt.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

If he's going to do that, then he might as well find a car radio with a control that is both a variable and an on/off switch. The mechanics are thus taken care of, and that dual shaft doesn't have to be worked out. Extract the control/switch and use that as the basis for the construction.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I still have not found what I am looking for OTS.

As you guys suggest, I am planning on building my own. I am just working on a hobby... and I only need one part.

Making my own, for my particular application, is really as simple as gluing the rotary switch on top of the momentary push button. But if one did exist, it might last longer than my homemade one.

Thanks for the suggestions. Buzz

Reply to
buzzweetman

I haven't seen what you're asking for. What you can find are rotary encoders with detents, which also have a momentary press switch.

The difference is that a 10-position rotary switch has a common which connects to one of ten individual contacts for the positions, giving an absolute position indication.

A rotary encoder only provides relative position by means of quadrature outputs, and usually does not have an end stop, so it can be turned more than 360 degrees.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Does it have to be a pushbutton?

You might cook up something with a metal insert in the knob, and then some circuitry connected t the metal so it's a touch activated switch. It would depend on the application, because I suspect you end up with false triggering, because it's so easy to brush against the metal, while a physical pushbutton requires real pressure to activate.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Eric Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@donnybrook.brouhaha.com:

If a similar device is found with decade count in BCD output, the 4028 BCD to decimal decoder IC can convert to 1 of 10 outputs that track the direction of the knob. There might be a single IC that can take a quadrature encoder output and convert to decade BCD but I didn't find one.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote in news:faihak$q44$1 @theodyn.ncf.ca:

Does it even have to be on the knob? Why not a button beside the rotary control?

Reply to
Gary Tait

yeah, some of those car radio controls are gems of multipurpose functions!

my last pioneer unit had three rotary controls that did 12 functions!!

it had features i didnt even use!

part,

board

Reply to
HapticZ

even a pc mouse with rotary optical sender may be of some use.

Reply to
HapticZ