wire wrap cad software

Hello,

This question is to all those that prototype using wire wrapping. Currently, I have a large design that I want to wire wrap, and have done the all the CAD drawings in Orcad. (I generally do everything in Orcad) The problem with this is that I don't really want to wire wrap directly from the schematic. Also, I have heard from friends that there used to be some software that converted netlists to a list of wirewrap connections. Also, this software was intelligent enought to not give more than three wraps per post, etc. Apperantly the software gave a listing of the order and between what chips the wraps needed to go. I have searched on Google using different search criteria, but nothing.

So, any help locating an application that does this would be great.

Regards, John

Reply to
John Sosa

PCB does something close - when you first import a netlist, it creates a "rats nest" showing the minimum spanning tree for each net (doesn't everyone do this?). Since sources for PCB are available (not everyone does *this* ;), you could easily modify the spanning tree algorithm to disqualify any pin with three rats to it already, then you can highlight each net one at a time as you do the wrapping.

Of course, you still have to place all your footprints and such first, but the advantage is that since it know where everything is, it can minimize wire length.

Hmmm... as you do each wire, you can push that rat to a hidden copper layer, removing it from the display. As long as you don't use the "optimize rats" partway through a net, else the three-link-max rule won't work.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I haven't seen a Wire Wrap program in twenty years. However if you use Ocad, the placement tolls will allow for getting an efficient arrangement, and select the routing method which chains the connections so there will never be more than two connections per point (Wrap) and use the NET list to create a wire wrap list by editing it into a easy to work with format and provide a check off box for each wire.

Reply to
Clarence

In article , John Sosa writes

When Vutrax started out Wire-wrap was the norm and it still produces this sort of output if you want it - a wiring order list of wrapping points with wire length included, never using a pin for more than two wraps. Experience showed the most error freed method was to ignore IC pin numbers etc. and work by coordinates. You can choose your own column/row naming or numbering conventions. You can also output a check-list for 'buzzing' out the wiring in an efficient order.

You may be able to export a simple pin to pin net list for your design and import this and use the wire-wrap output. For new projects you can use the whole Schematic > routing >

Finished board. The wire-wrap output is available after schematic analysis and placement and part of the rats-nest suite.

Vutrax can be downloaded from one of

(Main UK site)
(Central Europe Mirror) Free for evaluation and DIY size projects up to 256 pin with no time limits, no required internet access, or other tricks. Available for Windows 95 through XP, and Linux.

--
Roy Battell.
    To use this address remove the digits included to remove Spam ...