USB Mechanical Switch?

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect the head-set when not in use? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

short extension cable will save the hub. or cut the cable and insert a switch Or look around in the sound configuration to see if it lets you use different i/o for calls and not calls.

Reply to
mike

Something like this...

I guess just cut the headset cable and insert in-line, in a teensy plastic box ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or this...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Surely you know better than to do that? Mechanically toggling one of the data lines (pins 2 & 3) supposedly works.

-- Don Kuenz

Reply to
Don Kuenz

Are you forgetting I have a headset attached? I want the switch equivalent of unplugging the headset.

Adding electronics seems quite superfluous for a headset. For a harddrive, sure, signal intent, so you don't scramble data. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You got to be kidding me? right?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

OK, so you need to make/break audio and not USB? That may be a hard nut to crack. Newer PCs seem to sense when an audio connection changes. One way of doing that is to use a phone jack similar to symbol D in this schematic:

The tip breaks/makes a switch as the plug is inserted/removed. When plug is removed the tip signal lines(s) get(s) connected to an unknown "black box" circuit.

-- Don Kuenz

Reply to
Don Kuenz

Unplugging the USB connector seems to work. So why wouldn't a switch?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The outer two pins of a USB connector carry VCC and ground while the inner two pins carry a differential pair. Put a switch on either line of the differential pair.

-- Don Kuenz

Reply to
Don Kuenz

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

DIP switches don't have to be designed for a large number of operations. And, I find them annoying to use.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I ordered this...

I'll just leave one output open. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

How does this solve your problem?

Reply to
flipper

Here's one on steroids!

Martin Riddle

Maybe I'm missing something in the problem description but seems to me you can just leave them both plugged in all the time. Set the PC Speakers as your 'default' sound device in Windows so it operates 'normally'. Then tell Skype to use the headset and, in the third option, ring 'all devices' so that comes out the speakers too in case you're not wearing the headset when a call comes in.

Reply to
flipper

The headset is plugged in, but not active. Press the button, they go active. No grappling to get it plugged in, button on edge of desk. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I already have a "plugable" brand 7-port (powered).

I've spent the week unsnarling cables. Ended up with nearly a bushel basket of un-needed cables :-)

I guess that's what happens over the years as you just ADD things on ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This particular box drops speakers and outputs to a headset anytime it senses the headset., which is just fine with me... I use the headset for YouTubing when the wife is still asleep. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

OOOooh, now I get it.

Reply to
flipper

Follow up. Here's a little hotkey program to switch between the two so you could just leave it plugged in.

flipper