Telephone Tip/Ring Question

Two lines coming in...

How much risk is it to assume that both "Tips" are essentially earth ground potential? ...Jim Thompson

No worries! Should be fine!

I also have a nifty bridge for sale...

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sounds like a joke in the making.

A Tip and a Ring go into a bar...

Seriously though, take a look here

Oppie

You can't assume either is at ground potential.

-- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Nico Coesel

Probably not a good idea to do that. Back in the days when the subscriber phones had local batteries it was important. However with the advent of no battery phones in the early 1900's it made little difference which side was grounded. My father was an installer and was taught in the 40's that ring/tip red/green were not critical. Even if the tip were always ground that ground may not be the same as the electric company's ground in your home/office as the phone co often pounds in their own ground rod which can be many feet, and volts, away from the electric ground rod. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Probably about that same as assuming chandeliers, wall outlets, and thermostats are wired properly.

Get a meter and check it.

Reply to
flipper

I wasn't clear...

What I'm driving at, can I run a ringer from Ring to Earth ground?

(I don't have enough pairs :-) ...Jim Thompson

I wasn't clear...

What I'm driving at, can I run a ringer from Ring to Earth ground?

(I don't have enough pairs :-)

...Jim Thompson

No!

The lines are supposed to be floating equally above ground for full differential pair noise reduction.

You may get line voltage spikes from either line to ground on lightning induced faults etc.

mike

Reply to
m II

Neither Tip or Ring are grounded. It's a balanced Line. Grounding either one will give you hum and allsorts of headaches. But that may be what you want ;)

Martin Riddle

message

Well it wasn't critical until the 1960's when DTMF aka Touch Tone made the scene. The early 35 type DTMF dials had to have the correct polarity to function properly.

It was telco's early trick to prevent people using Touch Tone if they didn't pay for it.

Nope. It's a balanced pair. And if I remember correctly FCC regs require anything you connect to it to have at least 5 MegOhm DC impedance from both tip and ring to earth.

Reply to
flipper

Well, that was how selective ringing party lines worked. but modern CO's use tip to ring. You can not ground tip; it is NOT grounded except during the ring cycle. And it's not at audio ground, period.

Unbalance the pair and you'll not hear anything but 60Hz.

David Lesher

This is a test, Only a test.

Why is Tip called Tip and why is Ring called Ring??

First correct answer wins bragging rights.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Because that's what they're wired to on the switchboard 1/4" phone plug.

Back at ya. What is on, or off, hook called on, or off, hook?

Reply to
flipper

Back in the old telephone plugboard and operator days, these referred to the plug's tip and ring.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

message

Way back when, (back to the 70s or 60s), the polarity would reverse when the called party answered. This was called supervision or reversal and propagated all the way back through a long distance connection.

boB

Reply to
boB

There is really not much to brag about. The answer was already given in the Wikipedia article that Oppie posted on 2/8/2011 12:46 PM.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

I was a "victim" of this once. I had just moved into a new apartment, back when the Telco guy had to come in to hook up the phone. I finally got all moved in, and picked up the phone to call whoever to tell them I was moved in, and the touch-tone didn't work. I got dial tone, but when I pressed the touch-tone buttons, all it did was blank the dialtone, and go back to dialtone when I let the button up.

I "flashed the hookswitch (switchhook?)" - you know, in the old movies, when they'd rattle the button or rattle that hook where the earpiece hung on the _really_ old phones - "clickety, clickety, Hello, Operator?" - ten times, because I knew that that was how the old dial phones worked - it simply interrupted the current loop - and finally the operator answered. I told her what the problem was, and she said, "Oh, sounds like polarity."

They sent out a Telco guy, who swapped the red and green leads, and I had touch-tone. If they'd told me that that was all it needed, they could have saved a service call, but I was but a mere customer.

I suppose I could have figured it out - I was a tech at the time, after all, but hey, I think it was illegal to mess with your own phone back in those days.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

They're like the glans and prepuce[1] of the conceptually penile phone plug.

Hope This Helps! Rich [1] or Forced Infant Genital Mutilation scar.

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nice going, you mental deficient. Drug your children yet again?

Reply to
m II