Soldering Iron Recommendations?

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Each to their own, but the WLC100 is ok...

Reply to
TTman

I have one, good for general stuff. Temperature control isn't really good, looks like just a triac control to the heating element. As a result its easy to burn thru tips. If I had to do it again I'd go with WES51 or the WESD51. Or a Hakko

Martin Riddle

WES51 looks AOK, ordered, Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Fix it! That's what I did when mine fell apart, and I couldn't be happier.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

What kind of soldering station would you reccommend to do the repair work?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I splurged on an Edsyn 951SX about ten years ago, and running it

8/5/365 I've gone through two tips in all that time.

It is a real workhorse.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix a soldering station with itself.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It would cost more to re-cable, re-connector, replace the cracked base, than to buy new.

I ordered the WES51. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Wow!!! Ten years ago, and they are still on the market.

Not a bad price scale either. If I was looking, I'd buy one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Garber

Zen can't solder worth a damn, no matter what he uses. ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Is the iron still good? I have a spare base (or more) but no irons left. A so called 'engineer' recently bragged about throwing away about

35 irons that were intermittent. He was happy that the other irons three worked. Sort of. Most of the time. :(
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the asylum - they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop gap, and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much advantage over the standard X25.

Reply to
ian field

The Metcals are the best irons. The SP200 system is about $290. They warm up in seconds and have impressive heat control.

John

Hi Jim,

I too, have an aged WTCP that has been repaired several times. The heater and thermal switch have both been changed over the years. Still use it for the heavy stuff with 600 to 800F tips.

When we started to do some SMT work, I bought a cheapie (it was $100 at the time) JF96ESD through Ameritronics

Nice thing is that it is variable temperature. We were making the change from Tin/Lead solder to Lead Free and I wanted to be able to experiment with different working temperatures. Mostly this is used by itself but for larger work that involves ground planes, we have a zephytronics hot air fountain (130-150C) for pre-heating.

Only problem I've had with the JF96 is that the cord between the base and handle developed an open circuit. Found where the open was and spliced it back together. Been working for about 3 years since without any further problems.

Sort of funny working days with an esd safe SMT iron and at nights, doing artwork with an arc welder and OxAcet torch.

Reply to
Oppie

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see to fix them...

btw- on the topic of Zen- Q: What did the Zen master say to the hot dog vendor? A: "Make me one with everything"

Reply to
Oppie

Some people have backup glasses (I do). Some people have backup soldering irons (I have a $3 non-temperature controlled piece that I'm quite skilled with).

Reply to
pimpom

He said "cheapy replacement", the Antex irons are cheap as chips and last for years.

Reply to
ian field

Those of us who are myopic just get closer (though there are limits, especially when cutting, grinding, soldering etc.)

I could even dig up an old, essentially unused, Weller soldering gun if I had to. Or a fairly decent butane powered soldering iron.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Interesting - Antex used to be rubbish many years ago, Wellers were far better.

Ian

Reply to
Ian