PDA/handheld that can do CAD?

Hello,

Let me repeat a question I asked on the Cadsoft group since there are also users of other CAD systems here: Is there a PDA or other handheld that can be used for schematic entry and editing, plus maybe writing the module spec to go with it?

In other words something that has enough RAM and Flash to run Eagle or similar programs but where the processor does not have to be powerful. Of course I don't plan to do layouts that way (don't do layouts myself anyway).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Have you checked into the Sony Vaio UX series?

Reply to
Donald J. Miller

Well, I didn't want to spend close to $2k on it and I don't need all those extra gizmos like the built-in camera. I was more thinking about the range well under $500.

If Compaq/HP had the wits to build on their old Aero series they could really roll up the market. But it seems they don't...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If you have some sort of network available, you could go for a "thin client" type of solution: Run the software on a powerful computer and then remotely log into that computer from the PDA.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Usually there won't be a network. Unless I'd send up a Learjet that flies alongside and provides WLAN :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Would that be a WLearjet ? ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

And when you are in a DC-3 you could send a Lancair alongside which would then mutate into a WLANcair :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Eagle does not seem to use a lot of memory, less than the 20mb. The real hurdle is running it on Win CE. If it uses any functions that are stripped out to make it CE then your out of luck. Hmmm, there are simulators.....

Martin Riddle

Plus I'd have to run more stuff later, such as the IAR compiler. Would be nice if that PDA could run regular Windows, just without the glitz and on the lowest possible resolution.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The other problem is they usually run a risc processor so you'd have to recompile for that target. The only one that is 86 compatible (I think) is the geode, but they arent PDA's.

But there are quite a few cad packages for PDA's, third party.

Merry Christmas!!

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Doesn't have to be a PDA, just something small and with plenty of battery life per charge.

That's mostly not an option because soon enough I'd have to run some compiler or PSoC software that doesn't come other than for Windows.

Oh well, I'll go bargain shopping for a laptop then after Christmas. The ads with today's paper were disappointing though. Not much on sale. I was hoping they'd get rid of laptops that aren't quite up to snuff for Vista (which I don't want) but it seems that might not happen.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

If you're looking for a small system you might take a look at Samsung's Ultra Mobile PC.

Runs the Windows XP Tablet System on a Celeron Processor IIRC from what I saw on the CompUSA card underneath it though the Web Site says they're available with Mobile Pentium M's as well. They claim a 10 hr Battery life with the Power Bank option.

They're probably more expensive than you were thinking of but you might find one at a discount after a while.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Thanks for the hint, Robert. Interesting PC although I don't know how compatible the XP "tablet edition" is. $1100 sounds a bit steep. And that only buys 3hrs battery life. Longer life comes at extra cost. I guess I'll pass for now.

I need to be able to run pretty much any mundane Windows program. Not gaming or any high performance stuff, just Word, CAD, SPICE, databases and so on. That rules out pretty much any PDA. No clue why they are generally so paltry on RAM and program space. Often under 100MB in program storage alone while $20 USB sticks are already at 512MB. Seems they are stuck in the last century with those things.

Just heard on the news that the merchants were unhappy with Christmas sales and also with after Christmas day sales. Well, duh! To my utter surprise laptop prices actually went up substantially right before Christmas and they kept them up there. That's not a strategy to boost sales but it makes people wait until they see what shakes out after Vista shows up. What are they thinking?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

This one is the smallest PC I've seen:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

The main reason I mentioned it is "XP Tablet Edition" is full blown XP. Just the additions to use it as a pen based writing platform.

Q4: Will my Windows XP Professional-compatible programs run on Windows XP Tablet PC Edition?

A4: Yes. Because Windows XP Tablet PC Edition is a superset of Windows XP Professional, programs that are compatible with Windows XP Professional also run on Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

I didn't think you'd go for it now because of the cost but it's something to keep an eye on to pick up on sale if you see it.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Indeed. Thanks. I bet one can also connect a keyboard in case a document needs to be created.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thank you. But unfortunately it wants that dreaded flash plug-in before they show anything so I can't see it. Pretty poor web site design IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The display I saw had pictures of a keyboard and other devices attached.

The Tablet PC (besides writing on the screen and it turns that into text) also has a virtual keyboard on the screen that you can tap but it's more for short notes or commands. Perhaps one of those devices that project a Keyboard onto a flat surface would match the portable/lightweight theme.

Or it seems to have enough power (with the Mobile Pentium M) to run Dragon Naturally Speaking as a speech recognition app.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

You also might keep an eye on:

Their handheld PDA has a full Windows/Linux capability with 256 MEG RAM and

15GB Hard Drive. They claim only preproduction Models in the last half of 2006 so it's anyone's guess when it might be in production.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Neat idea, but the 256MB RAM and 640x480 seem like significant limitations in my mind. Not that it would help Joerg any, but I suspect that a Windows Mobile PDA with a 640x480 is actually more productive than the Tiqit because the Win Mobile applications would have been written with the lower screen resolution in mind (heck, most PDAs are only 320x240 or even 240x240) whereas regular Windows apps typically would assume a 1024x768 or higher resolution.

It could make a pretty nice Linux tablet though... something like GNU Radio might run pretty well on it (although even there, GNU Radio's most popular bit of hardware seems to be the USRP which is USB 2.0 only at this point).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad