OT: SLR Cameras

SLR Cameras... recommendations? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Olympus OM-1.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

You need to specify, idiot. A or D. Yes, it does matter. Duh.

Reply to
life imitates life

Jim, you really need to give us something to go on with. What type of shooting, your budget, etc. Is compact size important? Low light performance? Zoom range? Do you think you'll start collecting different lenses for different occasions? Or do you think a good general-purpose lens is all you're likely to ever use? Movie mode?

Reply to
pimpom

I already have a Sony DSC-S70 for many years. The body is starting to show signs of wear, though it still functions nicely.

Left it behind in my car when I flew off to my 50th high school reunion in 2008, so I bought a Sony DSC-T300 when I arrived in WV.

It's nice and compact, fits in a shirt pocket, but produces only so-so pictures due to the _dinky_ "Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar" lens.

So I was just mulling. I have 65,000 AMEX points, or could go cash to perhaps $1K, for taking pictures of grandchildren and nature around me ;-)

Actually I like the size of the DSC-S70, something good enough size to hold firmly to, so relatively big wouldn't bother me a bit. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You would be an idiot too for assuming that he means a digital camera, when the Luddite dipshit could be asking about an analog camera.

Movie mode indeed. Try doing brain mode first, then think before you post, but that error is mainly his, as is always the case with him.

Reply to
life imitates life

A camera's lens system only needs to be matched to the image plane it will be casting imagery onto, which is why digital cameras have had smaller lens systems all the up until the more recent larger imaging array chips. Would not expect a _dinky_ brained twit like you to know, much less understand that basic fact though.

You are so stupid that I am surprised that you even know what a lens is. Not surprising really, considering your _dinky_ brain power.

Reply to
life imitates life

Canon, Chicks dig guys with a Canon.

There are Rebates for the Canon products, period ends 4/26. (You must do exactly what the rebate says, they are real picky)

The 50D or 5D are very nice cameras. Although the Rebel seems to make many people happy. And there is a 7D.

Get a good lens, the L series (indicated by a red ring on the lens) offers very sharp optics. This lens in on my list...

Heres a nice non-L 50mm lens, no zoom, sharp photos , fast lens

Expect to spend about $1500 for a body, and some more for a lens. (applies to any brand)

Martin Riddle

I started to type out a reply, but it was becoming rather long-winded and it's already 4 am here now. So I deleted that and decided to continue tomorrow. Uh, you did mean an SLR, not just digital?

Reply to
pimpom

Yes. SLR Digital. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Is he a base brat at Camp Pendleton? Cox Cable internet out of Oceanside? What is he, some 12 year old brat?

Did you see this in his message header? "Summary: What do you think of these ping times eh?" or "Organization: pasticheur.org" [ no site and no archive ]

pasticheur (plural pasticheurs) One who mimics the literary or artistic style of another.

Path: g2news1.google.com!news4.google.com!proxad.net! feeder1-2.proxad.net!news.wiretrip.org!feeder2.cambriumusenet.nl! feed.tweaknews.nl!209.197.12.246.MISMATCH!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com! newshosting.com!69.16.185.11.MISMATCH!npeer01.iad.highwinds-media.com! news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com! post02.iad.highwinds-media.com!newsfe15.iad.POSTED!7564ea0f!not-for- mail From: life imitates life Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad Subject: Re: SLR Cameras Summary: What do you think of these ping times eh? Organization: pasticheur.org Reply-To: life imitates life Message-ID: References: X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines: 15 NNTP-Posting-Host: 72.197.141.212 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net X-Trace: newsfe15.iad 1267306726 72.197.141.212 (Sat, 27 Feb 2010

21:38:46 UTC) NNTP-Post>It's nice and compact, fits in a shirt pocket, but produces only so-so

A camera's lens system only needs to be matched to the image plane it will be casting imagery onto, which is why digital cameras have had smaller lens systems all the up until the more recent larger imaging array chips. Would not expect a _dinky_ brained twit like you to know, much less understand that basic fact though.

You are so stupid that I am surprised that you even know what a lens is. Not surprising really, considering your _dinky_ brain power.

IP address [?]: 72.197.141.212 IP country code: US IP address country: United States IP address state: California IP address city: Oceanside IP address latitude: 33.2746 IP address longitude: -117.3353 ISP of this IP [?]: Cox Communications Organization: Cox Communications Host of this IP: [?]: ip72-197-141-212.sd.sd.cox.net

Reply to
Greegor

NymNoNuts certainly is a first class village idiot.

I'll find some cooperative ($$$) soul in San Diego to trace him, then we'll drown him in a bucket of shit, making a YouTube video of it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

They dig guys with a nice, fat cannon far more.

Reply to
life imitates life

You're an idiot as well. There are digital SLRs too.

Reply to
life imitates life

When you ask a question like, 'what ____ do you recommend' (fill in the blank), you will get an assortment of opinions. So, not to be left out, here is mine.

- Canon and Nikon are the top 2 selling brands. Both have a nice assortment of models to fit your budget and requirements for features. Both accept a wide range of lenses. Both are available in rather large quantities used on (eg) Craigslist. This can be an advantage when looking for additional lenses or accessories.

- Olympus, Sony, and Pentax also have an assortment of SLR models. Check

for a complete list. Not as many cameras from these brands show up on the used market simply because not as many are sold. That might be an advantage when wrangling a price. I've seen some Sony's going for half of their list price.

Personally, I really like the Nikon D200 which was brought to market in late

2005. It's built like a tank and incorporates features of several other more expensive models. Used bodies are going for $600 to $800. It's updated model, the D300 has the same build quality, but it's a little pricier. One thing to know about Nikon is that some models like the D200, D300, D80, and others, have a focus motor in the body of the camera so that you can use older autofocus lenses that were made for the film cameras. The lower end Nikons like the D40, D60, D3000 do not have this in-body motor, so autofocus only works if you use the made-for-digital autofocus lenses.

I'm a Pentax man from the days of film, so I also like the Pentax K200D and K20D. They both have weather sealed bodies and a nice list of features. The K200D can be powered by 4AA batteries which are easy to replace. All Pentax DSLR's have in-body shake reduction which works with any lens, old or new. This is in contrast to Nikon and Canon which have in-lens shake reduction. Those lenses usually cost a little more.

That's my 2 cents.

-N.Morrow

Reply to
N.Morrow

There are a few new DSLRs with HD video modes built in. Cheapest of them at the moment is the Pentax K-x. Even the humble P&S Canon Ixus 100 IS has enough processing power to do 720p HD.

Canon 5D MkII or 7D will do 1080p HD video for up to 12 minutes at a time apparently limited by FAT32 file size of 4GB. 500D is more affordable but not so capable.

He might get a more informed answer in rec.photo.digital but with a clueless specification like that it is doubtful.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Zero contrast makes boring video.

Reply to
krw

Thanks! That was a very copious 2 cents! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

IMHO, Cannon is the best overall choice. My bag has both film and digital Cannon bodies, and the lenses are interchangable.

But I'm sure you will get about the same number who swear by Nikon, Olympus, and other brands, too...

Reply to
PeterD

How about water boarding, but use vomit instead ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature