OT: Latching Door Stop

The door between our garage and house interior is a spring-loaded fire door... PITA when carrying bags of groceries, so I'm looking for a latching door stop, wall or base-board mounted (floor is tile, rather not drill... though I've done such things before).

Any recommendations/pointers? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | Liberalism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

(Twisted a Quotation Originally from H.L. Mencken)

See: "Latching doorstop" on abse.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Large cinder block or brick. Kick door open with foot. Kick brick in front of door so that it stays open. When done, kick brick out of the way so that the door closes. Repeat each time you go through the door. If you need an electronic solution, there is a class of hardware known as "door stops" which are about the correct size and weight. Avoid anything designated as a "boat anchor" as they weigh too much.

Another solution uses a rope and a rope cleat. Tie rope to door. Attach cleat to nearby wall. Pull on rope to open door. Secure with cleat. A rope jam cleat or cam lock would probably be best:

It's also not very difficult to design a mechanical version. All you need is a common door hinge and a spring. On plate of the hinge is screwed or glued to the floor. If that's unacceptable, a no-slip rubber pad should keep it in place. The other plate is held open by a small spring and a piece of chain, wire, or kluckle joint, so that it's normally open at about a 45 degree angle. When the door opens, it passes over the hinge, temporarily compressing the spring. When the door has passed over the hinge, the hinge returns to the 45 degree angle. When the door tries to close, it runs up against the other side of the hinge and comes a stop. To release, just step on the hinge. I can make a sketch if my description is incomprehensible.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

RosemontCrest

over here commercially they use electromagnetic ones to hold fire doors. I expect they are someohow connected to the fire alarm.

I've seen doorstops with permanent magnets, and with gravity-operated hooks, but these probably aren't allowed on fire doors.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

I've had that type. It's not really "latching"... requires jockeying the door while kicking the stop down :-( ...Jim Thompson

I'm currently using my bar-bell set that way ;-)

I have heard of true latching types where you push the door against them... nothing required other than pushing the door. ...Jim Thompson

Buy an electromagnetic fire door latch:

They hold the door, as long as the power is on. Wire it to the lights in the garage, so it turns off when you turn off the lights. This also will close the door in case of a fire bad enough to disrupt the electricity. They are certified fire protection devices, so your insurance company couldn't screw you over.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
Nope; you kick the stop down then push the door as wide open as you
want.  Then, when you stop pushing, the door stays where you pushed

You get an infrared detector, or perhaps a capacitance mat, or maybe radar, something that will reliably notice you are there, and hopefully not trigger on random small animals.

Then you put a motor on the door, so when you trigger the detector, the motor will swing the door open and hold it, closing after a suitable length of time.

Better put a computer in there, maybe 3 or 4, to make it even more complicatd.

I'm too tired to put this in lengthy detail that would match your constant and ridiculous crossposting, that has nothing relevant to these newsgroups.

There's a newsgroup about home repair, that's likely the best place. There's probably forums about home renovation, likely a good place there.

But unless you want to overcomplicate things and make it all electronic, it belongs to none of these newsgroups.

It was bad enough when you took over the .design newsgroup, but do the rest of us really have to see your off topic posts in .basic and elsewhere?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

See

and

It's a pneumatic screen door closer with a position lock, for doors over 60 lbs. I have a similar unit installed at the bottom of my storm door. You open the door and press the button (the button is big) with your foot - that holds the door open at whatever position it is in when the button is pressed. When you want to close the door, you open it just a bit more. That releases the locking mechanism and the thing then pulls the door closed. Works great for me!

Here's another youtube post showing how it works with another brand that does the same thing:

I have no idea which brand is best. The one on my door is a different brand than either of the ones in the urls mentioned.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

There must not be a Home Depot out there in DryBleak Arizona.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You might find something here..

But I like the magnetic thingy.

Martin Riddle

Perhaps it's not a concern but this will most likely void the fire door status.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Perhaps try an "attractive" solution: magnets.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It still blocks fire, when closed... and you _don't_ leave doors _open_ in AZ >:-} ...Jim Thompson

But it can be left open and with no automatic closure.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Have a deadbolt lock? extend the deadbolt while the door is open, and it cannot slam shut. We also have those air dashpot door closers that have the angled catch on the piston that can be used to hold the door open when you want, but that is more trouble.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson