NE-2 I-V Curve ??

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Of course tanh is single-valued, unlike the I-V of a NE2.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Unless you are clever, like me >:-}

Look back over my piece-wise-linear curve-fitting posts, using TANH, with all derivatives existing and finite.

In this particular case, as I envision it, there are not even any break-points involved.

What I seek right now is a reasonably accurate I-V curve. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Reply to
John Fields

Thanks, John, that looks like a good starting point. Thinking TANH

do is specify the peak and valley currents and voltages and one (or maybe 2) I,V points out on the "tail", though my gut feel is that the tail slope should intercept 0,0 until you start to smoke it. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

 Click to see the full signature

Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?
Reply to
John Fields

As do I, recently posted here. But I'm on a "crusade" to make Spice models that don't have convergence issues.

What are the topmost complaints we see here about Spice models?

(1) Doesn't match the behavior of the real part (2) Won't converge, or very slow simulating.

I aim to change that, and make some money from model-making, while I'm at it. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hey! Don't you know, his highness has proclaimed, "Math and simulation are both crutches"? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Accurate I-V curve? There is no such thing, actually, except possibly under lab conditions. To design reliable circuits, you need a handful of parameters, and the curves are useful only for the general pattern of response. Gaseous conduction devices are not at all like semiconductors in the details, although thyratrons are similar to thyristors.

First is breakdown voltage. This is measured in the dark, but is lowered by UV (sunlight, fluorescent lamps, ...) If I recall, it's around 70 volts.

Before breakdown, impedance is essentially infinite. After breakdown, voltage drops to a fraction of the breakdown voltage. The higher the current the lower the voltage.

There is a current below which the glow will extinguish. One must remain below this current for a finite time, so all the ions have decayed or wandered away, before reapplying voltage.

There is a lot of information available:

..

The standard text on the physics was "Gaseous Conductors - Theory and engineering Applications", 1941, by James Dillon Cobine. This book was available from Dover for many years.

Cobine, James Dillon, Gaseous Conductors: Theory and Engineering Applications, Dover Publications, New York, 1958. paperback, xx+600 pp,

5 3/8x8.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

John Fields

--
Yup, but that's when anyone else is "crippled".

When he is, though, he paint wings on those crutches.
Reply to
John Fields

 Click to see the full signature

That's what I need right now... get the core model right, then embellish with ambient light, etc.

(I'm very aware of ambient light issues... once turned off my monster tube amplifier while I went on vacation. It was located in a dark attic... and utilized OA2's for regulating various grid potentials. When I returned and powered it up... KABOOM... electrolytic gunk everywhere :-D

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

So, who's going to pay you big bucks for a better model of an NE-2?

 Click to see the full signature

Neons are famously erratic. Local electric fields, ambient light, radiation will change the striking voltage. And they sputter away their own gas over time, eventually failing.

If you build an RC relaxation oscillator with two neons in parallel, small changes in the mentioned parameters will shift the discharge from one lamp to another.

LEDs are better behaved.

 Click to see the full signature

It's true. You get into all sorts of trouble simulating stuff that you don't understand. And I do mean *you*.

 Click to see the full signature

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE_2 Spice model. Unless, maybe, business is very, very slow.

 Click to see the full signature

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE-2 Spice model. Unless, maybe, business is very, very slow.

 Click to see the full signature

Has nothing to do with business... this is my play period... amusing myself solving math problems for which you would not have a clue >:-}

You amuse yourself by being an asshole.

I amuse myself with finding interesting solutions to math and engineering and simulation issues.

Someday I will be remembered. You? Bwahahahahaha hah! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature