Kicad: creating PCB traces (basic question)

In the Kicad PCB layout package (pcbnew) how do I draw a track between two component pins? What I mean is: suppose I place two component footprints (say 2 x 16-pin DIL's) on the sheet, select the copper layer, and try to draw a trace between one pin on one component and another pin on the second component. When I then try to draw a trace between them, I can't, because clicking on the start pin commences the trace OK, but clicking on an endpoint pin doesn't seem to work. I didn't draw a schematic - I just want to do a small layout.

This is kinda basic, and I'm wondering why it doesn't work.

Thanks, J.

Reply to
bigfoot2

Hi, J.,

I think you problem is that you try to draw the circuit directly on PCB layout, and not drawing it on a schematic, as it's more usual and KiCad expects.

When you try to draw it, KiCad detects there's no net (you will see "Err type 1" on the pad you are starting the trace, in the status bar) and doesn't allow you to connect it anywhere, preventing you to do it by error.

If you disable DRC (DRC OFF ... usualy, the first button on left button bar) you may be able to draw this trace without need to draw the schematic.

Regards,

Quitus

Reply to
Quitus

Yes,Quitus, you are correct. Turning DRC off allows you to manually draw traces without a having a schematic. I need this to draw various shaped traces and thicknesses to test out my PCB etching tank.

Thanks for your help.

John.

Quitus wrote:

--