Interesting Spice Netlisting Quirk

This time I'll try not to hit "Send" before I enter some content :-(

In developing Spice models/subcircuits it's useful to include within the subcircuit declaration the models used.

But if you add a line to your development schematic...

.MODEL D D

It doesn't appear in the netlist, it appears in the .CIR file (this applies to all Berkeley-adhering Spices, but not to LTspice... LTspice doesn't use a .CIR file, and the .NET file doesn't function quite the same way: .NET is more like a .CIR file, everything is in it, components _and_ test bench, and only exists after a "Run").

Appearing in the .CIR requires going back and manually adding whatever models you want included to your distribution subcircuit.

Anything manual is a nuisance as well as a possible source of error.

Experimenting I found that creating a part with a two-line "template" (PSpice speak :)...

** Force Text ** TEXT

causes it to appear in the .NET file exactly like that. Make text...

.MODEL D D

In the netlist, voila, it appears as...

** Force Text ** .MODEL D D

in spite of (in LTspice speak), .MODEL is a "Spice directive"

So I've invented the "dual" of what I devised many years ago where I wanted to force non-circuit (e.g., test bench) elements out of the netlist into the .CIR file, I did this "template"...

.INC "C:\PSpice\DeviceLib\Spacer.txt" Test Bench Element 1 Test Bench Element 2 Test Bench Element 3 | | |

(Taking advantage that "Spice directives" go into the .CIR file, _unless_ you do the "Force Text" scheme. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Much better..

Reply to
Robert Baer