How to analyze resistor of an RF coil?

I have an RF coil. Some material having strong absorption for 100MHz RF is placed inside the coil. X", size and position of the absortive meterial is known. How can I simulate the resistor of the RF coil at the specific frequency of

100MHz? Thank you very much!
Reply to
Jim

placed

100MHz?

Do you want to simulate this on something like SPICE, simulate the conditions with a real coil in a real circuit, but without the absorptive material, measure the resistance, analyze the loss in the coil given the material characteristics, what?

If you are going to run at exactly 100MHz and none other you can simulate this quite well by putting an appropriate resistance in parallel or in series with the coil, either in the real world or in your SPICE schematic. If you want it to be accurate for DC _and_ 100MHz then only the parallel resistance will do.

But you really have to tell us more about what you're trying to do before we can help you.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Thank you both very much! My object is to optimize the coil structure to get maximum resistor change.

I hope I can use some simulation method like FEM, FDTD etc. to analyze the relation of the resistor and coil structure.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Jim

placed

100MHz?

Put a variable capacitor in series with the coil and resonate it with the inductor at 100MHz. What remains is now only the equivalent resistance to the lossy material. Measure this by placing the whole thing in parallel with a 100MHz signal and seeing how much it is reduced. Substitute fixed resistors to find the equivalent value.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce