Database interface for Parts - Protel 99SE

Hi,

Does anyone know how I could interface the database from my inventory to a part field in Protel so that when a Schematic is being laid out I can select the appropriate part number ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

David

Reply to
david

Can't be done in P99SE David.

The only option even close to what you are looking for is called database linking. Database linking takes place post schematic symbol placement and requires that you enter (or have already entered in your symbol library) some unique key data by which you can link to a external DBIII or DBIV database and stuff other details into partfields from that database. My comments are precise in that you can only use a DBIII or DBIV version database for P99SE linking. Besides that it is very slow and will only stuff data into the Partfields and a couple of the other symbol fields, not all of them and definitely not the footprint field.

There is some sort of a newer feature in Altium's AD6 that allows construction of a component library from a database. I have never researched it yet but it is probably more what you are looking for. I believe that you construct the part database, add some info about symbols and land patterns for each part and voila you have a custom library based upon your companies custom parts database. You can have all or just some specific parameters from your company database represented in the symbols from the database library, setting those paramemter names to your specific wants/needs.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

It's a PIA initially but you can do what I've done and modify / copy existing components in the supplied libraries & create you own - set up lib fields with your inventory part #'s, manuf part #'s, vendors name, cost etc etc. At least then when you create the BOM the purchasing guy has half a chance of knowing what the parts are. It takes a while to get set up but runs is not too bad to maintain.

r.

Reply to
Robbo

david schrieb:

No way. The scripting interface doesn't offer that. The best that i could get was to put some key value in the part fields, use export to spread and run some macro in openoffice to fill in correct ordering codes. I didn't manage to build a dynamical parts library to pick a new generated part with description etc. previously filled out.

cheers Gunther

Reply to
Gunther Mannigel