Copper "Rivet"/Eyelet

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues? ...Jim Thompson

I have some somewhere, But Do not know where I got them from, its been a long time. Maybe International. There are three sources here

Martin Riddle

Yup, they were from International Eyelets.

Martin Riddle

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

They were widely used at the time but these days even the name has been forgotten. Nevertheless, they seem to be re-invented for through-hole plating. A German company Bungard

sells them. See Through-hole and then Favorite.

I buy smaller quantities i.e. 1000 pcs at Conrad, a German company that is also active in the Netherlands.

Search for partnumber 551678

They also sell some real impressive tools but I still have the tool with some of the 3mm eyelets I ever bought. It's only a simple center pin but it works good enough for the 0.8mm to 1.5mm ones. Did not try the smaller ones so far.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

They were forgotten for excellent reason--they're very unreliable under temperature cycling. At high temperature, the board expands more than the eyelet, and also softens slightly. The board cold-flows a little. When the temperature drops, the preload on the eyelet is reduced. As the cycle repeats, the preload on the eyelet keeps dropping until the copper trace is in tension at low temperature, so it eventually cracks.

Using a big solder blob helps some, but you're much better off using screw terminals.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So one can expect the holes plated by these eyelets might face the same problem. I'll have to think about that one.

The way the old 3mm ones were used, did not gave the problem. They were put in perfboard without copper on it. So no traces, only wires in the holes.

Longer ones are used for rivetting. A lot of vintage tube radios have their tubesockets rivetted on the chassis this way. Faster and cheaper then nuts and bolds. At the time that is.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Recalling my military stuff... the only complaint was about inspection... you couldn't check the wetting under the eyelet edge. I put them on the satellite launcher anyway... 300A isn't going to hack it in a plated-thru hole :-) ...Jim Thompson

The copper in a PTH is the same thickness as the traces, so the stress isn't concentrated at the edge. An eyelet is much stronger than the copper plating, hence the problem.

Sure, if there's no stress concentration, there's no problem.

And the nice convenient ground lugs on those tube sockes are famous for being unreliable. Well constructed gear doesn't use them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Found them at Mouser...

...Jim Thompson

USM, United Shoe Machinery.

John

Cat's meow... swage eyelet into FR4 "Vector board", solder... more durable than the cheap RS stuff. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I haven't completely followed this thread, but we often use "Coto Cups" for relays in test fixtures...

steve

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

I got some Keystone size 24 eyelets. (I have the setting pliers left over from discrete work that I did eons ago :-)

Crimp into board that has no copper or lands, then solder whatever. Doesn't pull out or peel off. ...Jim Thompson

http://www.keyelco.com/dynamicnav/subcategory_contents.asp?SubCategoryID=37
Reply to
John Fields

Yep. I don't have that style of staking tool... quite expensive. But I have a plier left over from GenRad days that does the #24 eyelet to perfection. Only issue is that its reach is limited to ~1.375", which suffices for the present G-job :-) ...Jim Thompson

That might be the source, but a 0.0625" OD (0.045" ID) eyelet is not very useful in leather. I do have setting tools for eyelets up to

1/2" for tarps, and various sewing projects that my wife does.

This is a Sargent brand plier that definitely came from my lab at GenRad (Phoenix). When they abruptly shut the doors I asked, and received permission, to take anything not worth packing up and shipping to Concord ;-)

"G-job" is American slang for a personal build using company stuff. I have no idea of its origin.

"G-man" has various connotations, various government law enforcement agents, or G. Gordon Liddy...

...Jim Thompson

You're sure it wasn't from the old Tandy 'leather craft' days?

A G-job....requiring a G-man?

RL

Reply to
legg

"Government Job". When working on a government contract lots of stuff "used for prototyping" got built and carried home in a briefcase "for study".

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

According to one reference it was from wartime when there might be secret projects that the supervisor was not directly aware of, so saying it was a "Government Job" (when it was actually a personal project) was a way of telling him to get lost.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany