Best Monitor?

Has been since at least Windows 3.1 (and DOS before that, for text content). And, in Windows, Alt-PrintScn captures the window in focus.

The capture programs allow you to specify a custom area of the screen for capture, view it inside a lightweight viewer and maybe do some minor editing. XP has a clipboard viewer, but it's pretty much deprecated (run->clipbrd). Windows 7 drops the clipboard viewer entirely and adds the snipping tool, which has similar functionality (not quite as good) as the tool Jim recommended.

They don't do anything you can't do with the print screen key and an image editing program.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Except for any modern content. Even in the early days of say "Doom", one could cap the desktop, but the window where the game was would be a black box.

Microsoft paint allows you to do the initial crop just fine, then open the result in a real editor if you want to do real editing.

Exactly. Open editor, paste in captured bitmap and begin creating your final result.

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

[snip]

Right click its tray icon and you get selection options. I almost always process in PaintShopPro if the image has further usage. Often I just want to print an area. ...Jim Thompson

There's a whole bunch of sub-techonologies under TFT. IPS, PVA variants, and TN are all common TFT technologies. Cheap monitors are TN, PVA variants are appearing for 10 or 20% more cost than TN and IPS is double cost over TN. TN works fine for office and design work, but really annoying if doing graphics work.

Reply to
qrk

I think the high voltage of CCFT is what makes it less reliable. However the better displays are still CCFT lit due to the light source being wider bandwidth.

One of the crappier displays is the Apple Cinema line. Yeah really. For fine art photography, the Sony Artisan was the reference.

Reply to
miso

I have a pretty nice vid card for it being nearly 5 years old.

It is a GTX 260 and has dual outputs. Had you read my other post, you would have seen where I have a 2048x1152 and a 46" HD screen on the other port.

So the only shit in the room is that which is oozing from your mouth.

Reply to
Hellequin

My CRT has a 185MHz clock. You are the bitch, shit mouth.

Reply to
Hellequin

You numptie. Each GTX260 connector *is* a dual-link capable port!

Dual-link does not mean two separate physical connector ports. It is a capability of each port itself, on a dual connector card either or both could be dual-link (and usually are these days).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:24:02 -0800) it happened miso wrote in :

One reason I did not buy a LED 3D 46 inch, but a CFL, is that in the newer LED things they use local dimminh of the LEDs to enhence / reduce the light / dark areas. More and mroe pictures get manipulated to maybe save energy, or make sets look better in specs, while actually the picture is less and less what the original is. Not that it matters that much with mpeg2 at low to medium bitrates. It is - on a big screen - really bad looking at all the artefacts that now stick out of on mpeg2. It is in fact worse than normal resolution analog was, if you count in the motion artefacts, the artefacts around sharp objects, much more crap, interpolated images, what not. So add to that dancing LEDs behind the screen and really why not switch of the TV and burn some candles with Chistmass much nicer effect.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The other possibility is a problem in the CCFL backlight. My boss has a pair of Radius screens that started to flicker and go dark, and it got worse. I opened up the worst one, and the backlight power supply (it had 2 per screen) had the tails of through-hole parts that poked through a mylar shield behind the PC board and were sparking to the conductive RFI shield coating on the case. I cut the leads flush and fashioned a new shield for the inverter boards. These monitors are still working quite a few years later.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson