Best Monitor?

I'm looking for recommendations for a new monitor... my ViewSonic
croaked last night :-(

Borrowed the wife's, so I need a quick answer ;-)

Thanks!

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Get one with LED backlight. They stay very cool.

Re: Best Monitor?
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:24:09 GMT, nico@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel)

Yep that was what was wrong with both my ViewSonic's, CFL backlit :-(

I'm considering this one...

ViewSonic VX2450WM-LED 24-Inch (23.6-Inch Vis) Widescreen LED Monitor

http://tinyurl.com/7s7aehl

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

CFL?  Compact fluorescent?  Or do you mean EL?  I don't pay attention to
what lights up my display -- it's just magic.

Chances are high that it wasn't the light emitter that broke down, but
rather the wiring or the electronics -- meaning that if it'll break with
the current technology, it'll break with LEDs, too.

Re: Best Monitor?

I hear the common failure with LED backlighting is loosing a string.
resulting is a square portion of the LCD without a backlight.
Cheers

Re: Best Monitor?

   You mean 'CCFL backlit'.  Cold Cathode, not Compact. :)

Re: Best Monitor?
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:29:32 -0700, Jim Thompson

I've had very good luck with the Dell Ultrasharp series.

Re: Best Monitor?

We got three of these at work, they are pretty good for the price. 16:10
too...
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760254-REG/Samsung_2443BWT_TAA_1_SyncMaster_2443BWT_TAA_1_24_Widescreen.html

Cheers

Re: Best Monitor?

I use a Samsung B2240. It was cheap (cheaper than the 24" jobs, and
takes up less space) and it works fine.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitors/professional/LS2 =
2CBRMBV/EN

Resolutions is 1680x1050, response time 5msec (not fast enough for
gamers, but the contrast ratio is better - at 70,000:1 - than you get
with faster LCDs).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Best Monitor?
On Dec 16, 10:29A0%am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@On-

I am very happy with my Acer x223w.
Of course, I'm at that age where eyesight goes to shit anyway....,
along with everything else.  :)
Seriously though, I run it at 1680 x 1050 just fine, and I don't play
video games or watch movies on it, at least not regularly.
It's probably in the $200 range?  Newegg.

Re: Best Monitor?

I have a ViewSonic 27" LCD with a TV panel in there, 1920*1080.
Inexpensive, IIRC I paid around $250 a year ago, works wonderfully.

Downside: I doesn't heat the office as well as the old Trinitron monitor
did :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Best Monitor?

Get a Merrimac instead.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Best Monitor?
Geez. That was UN-civil... :-)

Re: Best Monitor?

  I have a Haier 40" LED LCD display.

  3 HDMI inputs and two or three others, including VGA.

  I input from my PC's HDMI out, however. AND my Xbox 360, AND my PS3.

 And my PC has a second monitor, which I use at my desk.  It is a 24"
Samsung @ 2048 x 1152.  One of the highest res LCDs that they made.  I am
sure that the new LED backlit jobs will have some high res offerings soon
enough.

Re: Best Monitor?
Best for what is the question? TN is fine for schematics. Images need
TFT or SPVA.

For my money, I go with NEC displays. I suggest 16:10 format rather than
16:9.

Re: Best Monitor?

IPS displays are nice. I have a Dell U2410 and although they had
production problems I got a good one.
I see Panasonic has IPS in TV's now. Their Viera LED line sports IPS
glass. I have to find a retailer that has them and check them out.

Cheers

Re: Best Monitor?

I have the HP LP2475w also an IPS for the ability to do close to
photoreal controlled wider gamut colourspace imaging but it is
unnecessary for circuit diagrams (full HD 1920x1200 is nice). Out of the
box brightness settings will burn a hole in the back of your head - some
people compain about this in reviews.

But the question remains "best for what?" if the intention is mostly to
deal with circuit diagrams I would probably go for the largest pixel
count that my graphics card could handle and adequate display quality.

The Dell 27" U2711 IPS would be one I would consider now if I was in the
market for a replacement (it is also both IPS and 2560x1440 WQHD res).
Never seen one in the flesh so check reviews for known gotchas.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

The equivalent NEC model is twice the price.

One thing to consider as the screen gets bigger you need a suitably high
refresh rate to avoid seeing flicker in your peripheral vision. And
check your graphics card can manage this native resolution!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Best Monitor?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

The nice thing about the upper end NEC displays is they have a field
flattening option. They call it "uniformity". Basically the upper end
NEC displays are what goes into the LaCie products. Eizo has a similar
field flattening feature in their top of the line monitors. Basically
these monitors electronically adjust the brightness to compensate for
variation in the backlight illumination.

Some of the HP monitors are SPVA.

Note going beyond 1920x1200 usually requires dual link. You need to see
if you card and KVM (if used) can do dual link. Personally, at some
point, the monitor is simply too big. I wouldn't go past 27 inches.

Note that with windows, too much resolution can be a bad thing. The OS
at present isn't really set up for 2560x1400 on a 27 inch display.

Re: Best Monitor?

How so? I have no problems with Win7 on two 2560 x 1600 displays- the
computer is a couple of years old now. Lots of two head dual link
cards available- quite cheap if a gaming card will do.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Re: Best Monitor?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

The nice thing about the upper end NEC displays is they have a field
flattening option. They call it "uniformity". Basically the upper end
NEC displays are what goes into the LaCie products. Eizo has a similar
field flattening feature in their top of the line monitors. Basically
these monitors electronically adjust the brightness to compensate for
variation in the backlight illumination.

Some of the HP monitors are SPVA.

Note going beyond 1920x1200 usually requires dual link. You need to see
if you card and KVM (if used) can do dual link. Personally, at some
point, the monitor is simply too big. I wouldn't go past 27 inches.

Note that with windows, too much resolution can be a bad thing. The OS
at present isn't really set up for 2560x1400 on a 27 inch display.

Site Timeline