99SE how to close the paste mask over a pad (fiducial)?

I can't for the life of me find how to close the *paste* mask over a pad so the finished pad is not tinned during manufacture.

Checking the pad properties there is an (advanced) option for paste mask "override". I've tried various values including negative values and it seems to have no effect on the paste mask around the pad.

Any help please?

Thanks.

Reply to
DTJ

Hmm, strange! I thought I'd done this before, and if you set the paste mask override to -50 on a 50 mil pad, you'd eliminate the aperture. You would get a new aperture in the aperture list with a zero width. Don't look at the main PCB on-screen display, this will NOT show the override! You have to create Gerber files, import them to a blank PCB and then view that in single layer mode. Only then will you see the effect of either paste or solder mask overrides.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks Jon - you are right it does work but it does not indicate that the mask has changed in the normal pcb view of the paste layer.

I generated prints of the layers and I could then see the paste aperture disappear when the value was set to negative. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
DTJ

There are several overrides available, for inner layers, solder mask, solder stencil, etc. I don't think that ANY of them actually show up on the main PCB view, but they all affect the Gerber output. At least, they DO allow you to control the final output.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yep, I was disappointed it didn't show on the normal view but it seem to be working and showing in the print views. Thanks.

Reply to
DTJ