Zilog Z8 Encore XP help - Page 2

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Yes, we've introduced the Encore into some of our new products mainly
because we were very familiar with the Z8 otp products and it was an
easier transition from existing assembler programs.  I do like being
able to directly address the complete register file on the Z8 in
assembler but this is not an issue once writing in C.
Looking back I wish we had changed to Atmel instead, it's got a lot of
community support (avrfreaks), free C compiler and wide supply voltage
range.  Zilog technical support is no good and I hate trying to
interface from 3.3 volts all the time.  I'm now using Atmel for my own
projects but the boss is reluctant to "introduce two technologies into
the place".
Dean

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

I bought this kit, I found on my laptop that the USB
programmer/debugger wouldn't work (although recognised) on my PCMIA 4
port USB2.0 hub.

Bung it into a normal 1.1 hub on the motherboard and it all worked.

The jumpers (on mine) were in the correct position for the led demo,
and the uP was preprogrammed with it.

What they don't say is that to use the debugger/programmer the debug
jumper must be in position.

Colin

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Thanks Colin,
               I'm checking out the Yahoo groups now and it seems
to be a very common problem: some people have been able to get it
to work by plugging in the USB cable first then the power cable.

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Hope you didn't pay more than $9.95US for the kit:
https://www.soanarplus.com.au/secure /
Just noticed it on Sonars front page.
I know Zilog have always had some of the cheapest dev kits going
around, but this time they are practically giving them away. Guess it's
obvious why!

Dave :)

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

   For what you get, at that price it's a steal! Yesterday I installed
the Zilog software on my work PC (the new 3GHz P4 which was bought in
desperation to try and make Protel 99SE behave), and I had no problems
getting the USB driver loaded and running the Zilog Development Suite.
   I'm just sorry that Mark's having so much trouble with the one he
bought. He did later say that he found the jumper setting
documentation. From looking at the included schematic, it's not hard
to work out what the jumpers do and how they need to be set up. :)
   I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with that tiny
feature-packed 4K micro- when I finally get time.

Regards
Bob

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Hi Guys, yes it was AUD $16 landed on my doorstep
and I can only get it to run on my NVidia chipset
mainboard by turning off USB 2.0 and running on
USB 1.1   . I've flashed the latest BIOS (which
originally had USB problems) and installed the
latest drivers but it's still dead on USB 2.0

I suspect a driver problem combined with some quirk
in the smartcable implementation as my USB 2.0
memory stick works ok at least.

regards
Mark Harriss

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Hi all

For what it is worth, I just got my Z8 & took me a while to get it to
communicate with the PC. I accidently found it worked immediately after
switching on the board (D1 PA2 on steady). It did not communicate with the
PC while the demo program was running. It appears to work on both USB1 & 2
although I can't get it to work as yet on a USB2 PCMCIA card in an IBM
Thinkpad
I have J2,J4, J7 in. Others are in the DEMO position

--
Regards

Chopper

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

If you look at the schematic you'll see the best settings for the
jumpers: I have j3 out and j6 out so the don't interfere with j4
and j7 respectively.

regards
Mark

Re: Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Hi Mark

I did note that, but I found it still worked with them in. Still coming to
grips with it. Lot more involved than a picaxe08 (which I've also just
started to play with)

BTW noticed date sent 17/06/2005 @ 3:19PM. What time zone are you in??
--
Regards