WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Hi. Anyone know a source for this: Also known as: Lacing Cord Waxed Linen Holdfast.

Used to be (still is?) use in the electrical industry, but I have no idea what it was used for.

Thanks

Tony PS....could not find an aus.electrical group, so hoping someone may know something here :-)

--
"The Gene Pool could use a little Chlorine"
Reply to

"Me" wrote Hi. Anyone know a source for this: Also known as: Lacing Cord Waxed Linen Holdfast.

Used to be (still is?) use in the electrical industry, but I have no idea what it was used for.

Thanks

*****Tony ,also was called linen thread,(depending on the diameter) and was made by Millers in Melbourne (long gone). I have an unwaxed version made by "Barbours" ,it is also quite old. Have a look at
it is only one of many that I pulled it up in a Google search for "linen thread"

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

Hi I use this for fishing and get it from yacht shops, hope this helps.

Reply to
BB

Old Telstra techs from yesteryear would know this as "lacing twine". Came on reels with compressed cardboard ends and also on metal reels. In the latter years the "twine" base was nylon with the same type of wax coating.

I don't know of anyone who has actually used it in 20 years or more.

I think this is what you are looking for -

at the bottom of the page. They seem to have all the tools to lace cable as well.

God this brings back memories - err nightmares. :)

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Try a craft shop, ask for waxed string. If we're talking about the same thing, that is.

The last time I bought some was probably more than 20 years ago, so it may not still be available.

I seem to recall someone mentioning once that dental floss may be suitable.

Lacing up wiring looms, tied with half-hitch knots in a chain. Oh, the memories...

Peter

Reply to
Pete

Try a tackle shop they should have something which will suffice .

Reply to
Fester

I bought a tiny roll from a hobby store as "Synthetic catgut" for $6, it is very expensive stuff these days. This catgut is identical to "lacing twine" I used in the past Don't bother trying at any of the conventional electrical store chains as they are all from the "cable tie" era.

I have also have very good results with bees wax soaking a synthetic string: a friend was using the sheath from mountain climbing rope and was throwing away the synthetic inner cord made from several of these strings.

regards Mark

Me wrote:

Reply to
Mark Harriss

suitable.

Too thin IMO. Normal string rubbed with bees wax would probably work better.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T