WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Hi.
Anyone know a source for this:
Also known as:
Lacing Cord
Waxed Linen Holdfast.

Used to be (still is?) use in the electrical industry, but I have no
idea what it was used for.

Thanks

Tony  PS....could not find an aus.electrical group, so hoping someone
may know something here :-)
--
"The Gene Pool could use a little Chlorine"

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Anyone know a source for this:
Also known as:
Lacing Cord
Waxed Linen Holdfast.

Used to be (still is?) use in the electrical industry, but I have no
idea what it was used for.

Thanks

*****Tony ,also was called linen thread,(depending on the diameter) and was
made by Millers in Melbourne (long gone).
I have an unwaxed version made by "Barbours" ,it is also quite old.
Have a look at http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17aw.htm it is only one of
many that
I pulled it up in a Google search for "linen thread"

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Old Telstra techs from yesteryear would know this as "lacing twine".  Came
on reels with compressed cardboard ends and also on metal reels.  In the
latter years the "twine" base was nylon with the same type of wax coating.

I don't know of anyone who has actually used it in 20 years or more.

I think this is what you are looking for -
http://www.tecratools.com/pages/telecom/cable_tools.html at the bottom of
the page.
They seem to have all the tools to lace cable as well.

God this brings back memories - err nightmares.  :)

Cheers,
Alan

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Hi
   I use this for fishing and get it from yacht shops, hope this helps.

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Try a craft shop, ask for waxed string.  If we're talking about the same
thing, that is.

The last time I bought some was probably more than 20 years ago, so it
may not still be available.

I seem to recall someone mentioning once that dental floss may be suitable.

Lacing up wiring looms, tied with half-hitch knots in a chain.  Oh, the
memories...

Peter

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

suitable.

Too thin IMO.
Normal string rubbed with bees wax would probably work better.

MrT.

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

Try a tackle shop  they should have something which will suffice .

Re: WTD Waxed Linen Twine

   I bought a tiny roll from a hobby store
as "Synthetic catgut" for $6, it is very
expensive stuff these days. This catgut is
identical to "lacing twine" I used in the
past Don't bother trying at any of the
conventional electrical store chains as
they are all from the "cable tie" era.

I have also have very good results with bees
wax soaking a synthetic string: a friend was
using the sheath from mountain climbing rope
and was throwing away the synthetic inner
cord made from several of these strings.

regards
Mark