wtd: seagate ST318452LW

Hi all,
looking for an ST318452LW in working order
preferably melb north east suburbs for pickup

remove both deletemelbnospam and melbnospam from the email address

Thanks
Greg

Re: seagate ST318452LW

Hi again,
looking for this to get data freom an old drive. I'm told firmware version
will be improtant for this, so I'm looking for a rev 0002 frimware drive

Thanks
Greg

Re: seagate ST318452LW

your best bet if the firmware matches:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-Cheetah-ST318452LW-18GB-68pin-15K-SCSI-Drive_W0QQitemZ270023095547QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11160QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I thought i could help, but i have a stack of ST318453LW, but no 2's

How has it failed?

On a side note, I've pulled apart more then a few drives, they are a LOT
more robust then we are lead to believe. I took a standard 80 gig seagate
and ran it for a week with the cover off leaving it fully exposed to dust
and the only thing that I did to cause dropped sectors were finger prints on
the edge of the platter.

Regards,
MH

Re: seagate ST318452LW

Hi Mark,
I saw that one on ebay, his firmware is version 4. I've asked the fellow how
much to ship to Aus, I'll wait and see.

I may still be interested in one of your LWs. The worst case is the drive
won't boot. If I do, the earlier the firmware the better i suppose. As long
as there not dell or hp versions, i think the firmware is totally different.

I had a power supply glitch, this 400W supply has been a bit dicky in the
past and hasnt been able to have 4 drives on the ide and scsi busses to
allow them all to spin up, even the motherboard has probs. The 5V rail
drops.

Anyway I put some large caps at the drive to supply inrush on motor start
and that all worked ok for about 18mnths- 2yrs. 2 weeks back I plugged in my
usb drive as ive done many times and the whole machine crashed, totally.

Upon power up the drive gives an error about asynch start unit request
failed, but the motor is already up to speed.
So I'll give it a go, worst case (sigh!) I've got to redo all my Altium
projects. I thought they were on my data drive, but alas no, on my root
drive. The data drive was the one with the caps on it, an ST173404LC and
it's fine.

I've tried the dead drive on a few machines here with differing scsi
controllers and all report the same problem, so I'm convinced it has a
problem :).

Cheers
Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-Cheetah-ST318452LW-18GB-68pin-15K-SCSI-Drive_W0QQitemZ270023095547QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11160QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: seagate ST318452LW

Hi Mark,
misread your part numbers. Not sure i could use an ultra 320 board on this
but if the price is right it could be worth trying, again earlier firmware
is probably better for this exercise.

Greg