wtd: seagate ST318452LW

Hi all, looking for an ST318452LW in working order preferably melb north east suburbs for pickup

remove both deletemelbnospam and melbnospam from the email address

Thanks Greg

Reply to
gcd

Hi again, looking for this to get data freom an old drive. I'm told firmware version will be improtant for this, so I'm looking for a rev 0002 frimware drive

Thanks Greg

Reply to
gcd

your best bet if the firmware matches:

I thought i could help, but i have a stack of ST318453LW, but no 2's

How has it failed?

On a side note, I've pulled apart more then a few drives, they are a LOT more robust then we are lead to believe. I took a standard 80 gig seagate and ran it for a week with the cover off leaving it fully exposed to dust and the only thing that I did to cause dropped sectors were finger prints on the edge of the platter.

Regards, MH

Reply to
Mark Hathaway

Hi Mark, I saw that one on ebay, his firmware is version 4. I've asked the fellow how much to ship to Aus, I'll wait and see.

I may still be interested in one of your LWs. The worst case is the drive won't boot. If I do, the earlier the firmware the better i suppose. As long as there not dell or hp versions, i think the firmware is totally different.

I had a power supply glitch, this 400W supply has been a bit dicky in the past and hasnt been able to have 4 drives on the ide and scsi busses to allow them all to spin up, even the motherboard has probs. The 5V rail drops.

Anyway I put some large caps at the drive to supply inrush on motor start and that all worked ok for about 18mnths- 2yrs. 2 weeks back I plugged in my usb drive as ive done many times and the whole machine crashed, totally.

Upon power up the drive gives an error about asynch start unit request failed, but the motor is already up to speed. So I'll give it a go, worst case (sigh!) I've got to redo all my Altium projects. I thought they were on my data drive, but alas no, on my root drive. The data drive was the one with the caps on it, an ST173404LC and it's fine.

I've tried the dead drive on a few machines here with differing scsi controllers and all report the same problem, so I'm convinced it has a problem :).

Cheers Greg

gcd

Hi Mark, misread your part numbers. Not sure i could use an ultra 320 board on this but if the price is right it could be worth trying, again earlier firmware is probably better for this exercise.

Greg

gcd