write protected usb memory stick

Aust. post sells them, it's a Cruze usb memory stick, comes with installed software. It's also write protected and unusable. How to remove the 'write protection' from it?

Must of missed something in Windows O/S school.

Reply to
cockatoo

Does it have a little switch? Tom

Reply to
Tom

no

Reply to
cockatoo

You mean the whole memory is write protected, or just the mini operating system?

If you google the device, you will find the home page that tells you how to easily un-install the OS, if that is the problem.

I have several of these Cruzer sticks, and I junked the OS. Didn't come from APost however.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

The USB memory stick when inserted into a USB port is recognized by Windows XP as a USB memory stick, then within a second this changes, and it is recognized as a CD-ROM drive. How to stop this from happening is the issue. Of course as a CD-ROM drive it cannot be written to and becomes un-usable. I have had no other USB Mem. stick that does this; nor is there any documentation with it or on it, that describes how to turn this 'false' install off. The Cruzer comes with a few Mb of programs, I believe there is a program on it you run to access the write feature, but I am not sure. Attempted to delete the driver for the device, but it's useless as every time you stick it in a port, the Windows O/S installs it.

Don't care if I can't use this 10 dollar, 1Mb drive, just interested in finding out how to turn write-only off.

Reply to
cockatoo

You do know they are selling ROM sticks with software programmed onto them. It sounds like you got one of these. They are usually 1 to 8MB.

Reply to
MisterE

There's about 100 variants of the Cruzer drive. If you go to the SanDisk site at

and choose your model, you should be able to find a list of FAQs which might help.

Reply to
Bob Parker

try turning off auto-run? try formatting it from the command-line? try a different operating system? try removing the registry key(s) that identif(ies) cd-roms?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts