World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/raspberry_pi_delayed_networking /

Raspberry Pi shipping is delayed
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2158162/raspberry-pi-shipping-delayed

Raspberry Pi delayed by "manufacturing hiccup"
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/education/373432/raspberry-pi-delayed-by-manufacturing-hiccup

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
On a sunny day (Fri, 09 Mar 2012 05:39:15 +1100) it happened Don McKenzie

Seems all very amateur to me.
There is an old Dutch saying:
 "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
the ones I use are.
What if the new connectors are more expensive?
LOL

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Tough shit then.... perhaps the manufacturer was tring to save a few pennies
to go in their pockets by substituting a cheaper connector. Someone's head
will roll :)

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Well, its not the end of the world, they are re-modding the boards and
will be shipping soon (can't wait to get one for myself)

Seems there is some who likes picking on the Raspberry team and their
idea/product (not this thread, but in general). IMHO it outperforms
the competition, like the Arduino boards. As for the complexity of
getting started, just wait and see, since it sells nicely, the
community support will be good.

The low price and the combination of ethernet and USB connectivity
will allow for an easy way to put together custom systems. Need an
internet connection for example, just add a USB wireless stick.
Drivers exist on the Linux Package and visual app tools for Linux are
free.

Regards

Klaus

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.]

Wrong answer!  Actually, the US prototyped that weapon.

OTOH, it was the Dutch Boers, expat Dutch, who upstaged and wreaked
havoc and nearly brought the Brits to their knees during the famous
Boer War in S. Africa.  They merely showed good sense by buying German
Mausers and outhinking the Limeys.  In the meantime, the Dutch don't
even have a good beer!!  Apparently, ya' gotta leave Dutch soil to
gain a pair.

Hey.... jes kidding.  I'm sure the Dutch are good for something
besides tulips.  ;)

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Heineken.

What do you consider good? Slootwater?
Your radioactive polluted drinking water?

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

[snip]

They've got bears in The Netherlands?

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Oh, yes, look up 'Artis'.
No hunting allowed all year long though...

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

delay comments:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/08/1413227/raspberry-pi-production-delayed-by-factorys-assembly-flub?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2FslashdotIt+%28Slashdot%3A+IT%29#comments

http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805

and some snippets:
====================================
[Chorus]
Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die
------------------------------------
Bye Bye, my Raspberry Pi,
I thought that I might buy you,
but the warehouse was dry,
those good old boys say just wait one more month,
but you keep running into delays,
yeah, you keep running into delays.
====================================
yesterday I read a this one on Beagle Bone board:

Customer: How much is a BeagleBone?
Seller: 89 dollars.
C: 89 dollars!  But a Raspberry Pi is only $35!
S: So why don't you buy a Raspberry Pi, then?
C: They're out of stock.
S: Well, if BeagleBones were out of stock, they'd be only $30!
====================================

Cheers Don...

====================================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Perhaps you opposition to Raspberry Pi is due to your company and you
will loose money if it succeeds. Envy is a bad feeling....

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

It's LOSE - not LOOSE

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

  It has to be loose before you can lose it. ;-)

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
On a sunny day (Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:12:13 -0800 (PST)) it happened Klaus

Oh shut up, I have no interest in that, but I do recognize a hype
when I see one.
It is the other way around, the old story, you have invested in it by trying
to buy one, and now you dwell in self-justification.
Just like a guy who buys some peculiar make of car because that is all the money
he has,
and then argues it is the best car in the world.
Even if it is delivered late or never, and does not even have a windshield.
:-)

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/08/1413227/raspberry-pi-production-delayed-by-factorys-assembly-flub?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2FslashdotIt+%28Slashdot%3A+IT%29#comments
What  is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

I am only reporting on what others are saying Keith, so that makes me
the messenger.

Me, I have one on order, and am looking forward to it.

Cheers Don...

==========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Glad to hear it Don, its just that your posts seem to take some delight
in any Pi problems.

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

I have no commercial interest in any of these products, or Don's
business but I do admit that
when I hear over and over of all these various problems I do admit
that the more
I read,  I admit that I do wonder if someone with an interest in these
devices
are in some kind of serious trouble - whether it be financial,
regulatory, or technical problems
that cannot be fixed easily and are just pushing out various excuses
to make people believe all is
ok when it might not be.

Reading the articles and forums linked here there tends to be this
feel to it,
of the kind I remember in the past when someone is having serious
business
problems and won't admit to them, and ultimately fail, usually losing
other people's money
in the process.

I don't know Don personally, but in my opinion reading here over the
years,
I think that he is not the sort of person who would resort to
"rubbishing" the PI for
ONLY the reason that it might cost him sales.

Rubbishing it for that reason alone would be futile, as it will
succeed or fail regardless
of Don's opinion, or whether the backers of it survive or fail - as if
it is a great and popular
device, and viable, someone else will soon start making it or a
compatible.

I think you will find that if the PI is successful in the market, does
what it promises to do, and gets a good following he will jump right
in,
post about his experiences with it on here, and possibly do his best
to have them in stock,
or have a compatible version out, whether designed/made by him or a
3rd party

In writing this, I'm giving my own personal opinion, it's not based on
any facts
but past experience in business and dealing with other people and
firms over many years
and am not saying or implying in any way that any organisation or
product is or isn't in any sort of trouble or doing
anything immoral or dishonest or that you should or shouldnt buy /
support anything

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
 > I don't know Don personally, but in my opinion reading here over the
 > years, I think that he is not the sort of person who would resort to
 > "rubbishing" the PI for ONLY the reason that it might cost him sales.

I have know Don for years-- he was Australia's first "Green Card Lawyer"
type commercial spammer, who'd flood our long-distance mailspools with
adverting and won't stop when he was told how much it was costing us.
After he was banned from Australian ISPs, he hopped to an American
provider and continued.

Dontronics doesn't give a shit if it makes him money..

--
Chris

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

Because he sells the Arduino that has less performance at a higher
price and he will loose busyness if the Raspberry Pi succeeds. Envy...

Re: World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
anfÝrselstegn -

The problem with the RP is that a great many people who should know
better are allowing hope (and hype) to triumph over experience.

If the RP proposition was not so enticing would your really want to buy
from an organization which has never made anything, been very
'economical' with the truth, obviously has no quality control or
procedures etc etc.

I don't want the RP to fail because the media have bought into it and if
it fails then the whole electronic engineering profession gets egg on
its face - not a good thing.

On the other hand, I wouldn't bet much on ever seeing a fully working RP
- the whole saga is so reminiscent of the disasters that overtook many
of the early personal computer projects. (Nascom, Newbury etc).

If I were betting I'd bet on the Olimex Pi-alike. A combination of
experience and fury is hard to beat !

Michael Kellett

Site Timeline