Words for Jaycar Kit KA1795 - add-on regulator for car battery charger

In Electronics Australia July, 1997 there was an article on an add-on
regulator kit for an el-cheapo battery charger to make it fully automatic.
Jaycar sell the kit.

I've had trouble finding the article and wonder whether anyone has a pdf
file or link that will let me read about the kit and see what requirements
it has in terms of the battery charger.

Thanks folks,
Dave

Re: Words for Jaycar Kit KA1795 - add-on regulator for car battery charger

"Dave"

**  Jaycar,  DSE etc kits come with reprints of the original article -  if
you go to a store the staff will let you examine the kit and instructions.

The EA  July '97 Add on Regulator etc  was shown with an Arlec 4 charger.
The article suggests using a transformer with a  13-0-13  volt secondary and
a pair of  5 amp diodes for those who wish to roll their own.

BEWARE:

I very strongly suggests you do  NOT  use a standard toroidal tranny for
such a charger as they are  COMPLETELY  UNSAFE  in the application.

.........  Phil

Re: Words for Jaycar Kit KA1795 - add-on regulator for car battery charger

Thanks Phil . . I didn't realsie DSE has it as they are a lot closer for me
to visit than Jaycar.
I'll have a look there . . and thanks for the advice.  I have an Arlec
Charger 8.

Thanks again
Dave

Re: Words for Jaycar Kit KA1795 - add-on regulator for car battery charger

"Dave"

 **  The ARLEC  Charger 8 is rated at a  *meaningless*  8 amps rms  OR  more
correctly at 4.5 amps continuous.   The latter figure is the effective
charging current.

A C122D  SCR conducts at about 1.5 volts, so heat dissipation will be 6.5
watts or so.

.......   Phil

Re: Words for Jaycar Kit KA1795 - add-on regulator for car battery charger

I'd be interested to know if it can be used or 24 V batteries

Site Timeline