Wireless private network over a km line of sight

My home office has a nice unobstructed view of a beach which is several
kilometers away. I have also a small boat/dingi.
How can I use my notebook in my boat and connect to my home network?

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

use an ext directional aerial at each end, and wpa

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Yeah, only if you're dead lucky.  A directional antenna is going to have a
dramatic signal drop off outside its polar pattern.  Likewise all that
rocking and movement on a small boat at sea is unlikely to achieve a
reliable signal between the two points.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Over the surface of water, the wi-fi signal actually gets further with less
dropout.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Agreed to a point, but with a directional antenna and a boat bobbing and
moving about on the ocean how do you anticipate they will maintain
alignment?  Even if the laptop has in-built, PCMCIA or USB wireless the
range isn't going to be very good due to the small RF output power and
bugger all antenna gain.  Then there's propagation issues at 2.4GHz.  I'd be
interested to see it work over those distances previously mentioned.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

There's not much doubt about it.

You can boost the base signal and have a high gain antenna but the laptop is
stuck with a flea-fart of power and is omni-directional if it's wireless is
built in.

You would need to seriously pump up the laptop output power to get
anywhere - especially if you have encryption on.

My Sony ( with inbuilt wireless) can just see the neighbours network 2
houses away - sometimes.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz /

Granted, it's still line-of-sight so even if just one end is moving
(like a boat on water) it'd be challenging.

Chris.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Come again. You say you can see the neighbours network?? Does that mean what
I think.

Cheers, Pete.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Why?  What do you think that it means?

--
Chris.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

it means you think what he thinks your thinking but not what the neighbour is
thinking.... or am i confused with the boat bobbing on the rough swell of the
mooring with the sun blinding me, so the laptop is useless!

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

No, it means you took my suggestion and took a slab out to the boat.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Dunno what you think but I suspect I may have left the wording ambiguous !!

The Sony detects two networks mine and his. Both are secured. So, it's
situation normal in the city or suburbia, AFAICT.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

No reason at all why that shouldn't happen. I was on an island a few weeks
back and almost everyone had a laptop and connected to one of the AP's in
the village. Several newbies had brought their own AP's (told it was a good
thing, apparently) so everything was trying to yell at everything else. Not
much throughput till some selective power-downs took place. :-) Never seen
so many AP's appear on my laptop network screen though.

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Shit, if you were in Oz I would think you were on that Telstra payback trip
to the Barrier Reef.<G>

What are you doing with a PC on an island anyway. The're for getting pissed
and eating too much.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

You may get away with a reasonably directional antenna in your home pointing
at the area where you use your boat. This bunch sells a decent range of
antennas:
http://www.rfshop.com.au/ant.htm
If you look at the beam angles you can work out how high a gain antenna you
can use and still cover the area (the higher the gain the narrower the
beam).

It's not guranteed to work though, particularly if your laptop has a poor
antenna. And any trees or greenery in the way will suck up the signal.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Dunno if you've ever used a laptop outside. They don't work too good.
Plus the fact that when you're outside, a computer is the last thing you
want.

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Notebook + boat = disaster

Take a fishing rod instead

-Andrew M

kilometers

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Does he actually LIKE fishing?

Re: Wireless private network over a km line of sight

Shit, take a chick or a slab then.

Site Timeline