Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

They're banned in Europe and North America and yet we buy this
stuff in toys from China by the tonne.
What I'm talking about are phthalates. These nasty chemicals
that are known to cause cancer, as an endocrine disruptor
and has a negative effect on reproductive development
in humans.
I've been waging a one man war against these plastic
additives for some years, throwing out anything that
emanated that nasty  chemical smell, I just knew from
the smell that these soft plastics were evil. I've only
very recently found out what they are.
Phthalates are used to soften PVC. Usually they are found
in many products for infants like rattles, dummies and
teething rings. The child then absorbs the phthalates
into their system as the chemical continuously leeches from
the plastic.

The Australian market is going to be the recipient of an
avalanche of nasty,toxic toys that have been rejected by
the rest of the industrialized world.
There has even been a book written about this horror by
Canadian Rick Smith called "Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How
the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health".
Why are Mattel and Hasbro, to name only two of the major
toys companies,still selling toys to Australian families
that contain this evil Chemical?

This is not a joke or hoax it's very real. Please write
to you member of Parliament, the media, to Hasbro toys,
Mattel toys and basically let everyone know about this
Chinese toxic assault on our children. This nasty, toxic
chemical should be banned from all children's toys, and
probably altogether.

More info
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/victoria/component+banned+Europe+common+here/1046982/story.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/16/MNT0SQDJV.DTL

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN1443724320071015

http://info.hktdc.com/alert/eu0019.htm

Re: Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

Yeah it figures. I'll have a go at this one.
Of course - this is Australia. The poisoners and polluters turn up, pull
out the Idiot Meter - and it goes off the dial.

Re: Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

   I wonder how many "sex toys" have a high content, they would
then deliver the pthalates to the worst possible location in
the human body

Re: Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

Apparently enough that they are specifically mentioned.

How is that worse than the mouth, or inhalation?

MrT.

Re: Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

   Endocrine disruptors behave like sex hormones, I'm
assuming a concentrated dose to the sex organs would be a
bad thing and would affect reproductive function as well
as induce cancers there.

Re: Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

Your assumptions neglect the fact then that it creates far more damage in
the bloodstream, and therefore it is not the point of contact that matters
as much as the degree of transmission into the blood.

Feel free to provide *evidence* to the contrary though, there may be other
factors that I don't know about.
However it's far more likely there are plenty of other factors no-one knows
about yet.

MrT.

Re: Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?
If they are US companies, then nothing and I mean NOTHING matters
other than maximising profit, regardless of the human costs of this.
Its just the American corporate way, and has other benefits, their
colleagues in the medical industry can rake in fortunes "treating" and
"diagnosing" these illnesses.
Not that things are great here, look at asbestos and its victims for
example.
Repeatedly writing to the QLD parliament (any sort of whistleblowing
especially criticising any government or court official or suggesting
or exposing corruption)
can get you into VERY serious trouble, if you persist after being told
to butt out of it.
It might be the same in other states and federally too for all I know.
This is NOT good advice without people being told of this risk..