Why do we have cross-over cables. - Page 3

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:24:45 +1100, Sylvia Else

For modern ethernet, you don't need cross-over cables. The devices
figure out the pair sorting. All the NICs, routers, and switches I've
come across in the past 3 to 5 years have auto-sorting of the pairs.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
snipped-for-privacy@spam.net says...>

Don't count on it.  We found a bunch of 'em that don't work as
advertised.  :-(

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

 Best to actually use a known good, proper cable, and not rely on a nic
or router to be your cable tester, or repair facility.

 Now tell me that one was wrong too.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:49:33 -0700, Capt. Cave Man

You are.  If you want to test cables, get a cable tester.  If you just
want to hook things up, try it.  You might get lucky.  You'll always
get it wrong, in any case.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

situation.

  This krw idiot, folks...  is a troll. In this case, however, you were
baited into it.

  I was, in fact, correct.  Note how it was me that stated that a nic is
NOT a cable tester.  You are just too retarded to have seen it in your
glaring need to troll me and the group.  Fuck off, KeithTard.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:32:22 -0700, Capt. Cave Man

situation.

AlwaysWrong is wrong again (surprise, surprise).

BTW, how were "they" (whomever "they" is) baited, DimBulb?  Seems
you're the dead fish around here.

Wrong again, on many levels.

No thanks.  You're not my type, DimBulb.  Be careful or you'll make
Roy jealous.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

.

When you connect two computers to each other, you use the crossover cable
and you don't need a router.

Al

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

 And due to your quick scan of the ONE post it appears you read, you
completely missed the point of the entire thread, much less the one post
you responded to.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

Ho hum!

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

Is there a standard specifying how this works?

I'd have to wonder how two such interfaces manage when they are
connected together.

Sylvia.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:19:57 +1100, Sylvia Else

  If a handshake fails, a different connection schema is used (read
switched in) until success is achieved.  Pretty simple.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

And the other end is doing the same. Might go on forever.

Sylvia.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:35:26 +1100, Sylvia Else

situation.

  No.  They are seldom happening at the same time, and their internal
timeouts between tests and switch-outs differ from maker to maker.

 This means that one WILL eventually achieve a handshake, and then both
will discontinue making switch-outs.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
situation.

And if they're two identical NICs?

Sylvia.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:20:59 +1100, Sylvia Else

situation.

 The time in which they perform the test differ as there is no
communication between them in said regard.  So one will always win, and
then a success in the handshake will cause the other to stop trying.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

situation.

The Ethernet protocol assumes that packets will collide and become
garbled. Each NIC will back off for a random amount of time.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet#CSMA.2FCD_shared_medium_Ethernet

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

there's not such thing,

derive the timimngs from the mac address

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.

Helps if there's a standard that says how, which was my original question.

Sylvia.

Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:30:52 +1100, Sylvia Else

---
No, it wasn't.

Your original question was the subject of this thread, and when you were
Re: Why do we have cross-over cables.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:35:26 +1100, Sylvia Else

situation.

---
No.

Have you never heard of taking turns?