why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal? - Page 2

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

You will be surprised how bad service can be with big brands and how good it
can be with cheap ones. I am doing warranty repairs for a bunch of smaller
brands and I do not want to touch big ones! Way too much hassle and mess.
Of course, there are exclusions from the rules. (I am not going to mention
names).
BTW, many cheaper LCDs use LG panels, so you may as well get a cheaper one
and effectively get same TV as LG.
Dead pixels. When panel is made, some dead pixels do occur sometime. Panel
has to be thrown away. Hence the price tag, especially on the larger panels.
Each bad panel adds to the cost of good ones.
Some manufacturers pick up those bad panels and sell them in cheap TVs.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you are buying. For some
applications (security monitors for example), couple of dead pixels won't
matter.

In the end -- you get what you paid for, although, I believe, this is not so
true when talking about expensive big names.

Rudolf

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Panel usually comes with the support boards from panel manufacturer. Usually
all that is needed is video controller/tuner and power supply.

Rudolf

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

All three of which can be screwed up by the el-cheapo's.

You usually get what you pay for, it's a universal rule for every
electronic product on the market.

Dave.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Unless it's a Toshiba, in which case you pay for quality and get a lemon.
Lemons.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

    They were good once. I bought my Toshiba C-810 18" TV in August 1975
and it's still going OK.
    I admit that I've had to re-solder almost every joint in the thing
and it's had a couple of electrolytic caps go leaky and a vertical
deflection transistor failed. Tube's still good though.

Bob

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

"Bob Parker"

 **  How is your dad's old axe going   -  Bob  ?

.......   Phil

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

    Resoldering joints isn't quite the same as replacing lots of parts,
but I know what you mean.
    I've been tempted to get some kind of LCD TV to replace it, but the
discussions here are making me wonder if that's such a good idea.

Bob

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

"Bob Parker"

**  If you can find a Big W store with any of those AWA brand, 17 inch
Monitor/TVs on sale for $ 299   - grab one.

BTW

The one I saw was not faulty, in any way.

The customer used it to demo her new " magic microphone "  to me.

If you dunno what that is  -   try Google.

What will they think of next  ..................

.......   Phil

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

    Thanks for the info. I've been browsing various retailer sites to
see who might be flogging them (Big W's online presence doesn't seem to
extend to having catalog info).
    I might go to a Big W for a first-hand look.

     Struth - not for me!

     I dread to think about that....

Bob

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

You may not get MORE than you pay for too often, but you sure as hell can
get LESS.
The more you pay the greater the chance of the latter unfortunately.

MrT.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 05:17:21 -0700, "David L. Jones"

That tired old mantra is a never ending source of annoyance for me.
This kind of FUD is usually recited by those who have never done more
than research the sales brochure and price tag. The number of times
I've been let down by an upmarket product is just too many to
remember. In the present case I probably would have chosen a cheaper
panel if its warranty matched that of the LG, or if I could have had a
peek inside. I have no experience in LCD TVs, but if they are anything
like LCD monitors, then most of the work is probably done by a single
ASIC with only a few support components. Assuming the ASIC is
reliable, then I'd only have to be prepared to repair the PSU (usually
straightforward), the inverter, or the tuner (which would probably
become available in the aftermarket). I presume that generic
replacement CCFLs will soon be available from WES and similar sources.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:58:15 +1000, "Rudolf"

These days it seems almost everything is badge engineered. You never
really know what's inside until it breaks down. That's why I'm cynical
when it comes to brand names.

Right now I'm repairing a 10 year old TC-29R20 Panasonic TV (tuner
fault) which has a tired US-made RCA CRT. One of the last Philips TVs
I repaired had a low emission Zenith CRT, also US-made. The best CRTs
in my experience were made by Philips and Mitsubishi, but even
Mitsubishi stopped making their own many years ago.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

hi, all  lcd tv`s are crap , you go to the side a bit  and it  looks crap ,
with a plasma , does it look  crap when you go to the side a bit   hmmmmm,
errr , let me think errr,,,   NO !!

mark k

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

This has been a problem in the past, but I was looking at one the other
day (just passing time - I'm not yet in the market to buy), with this
particular issue in mind, and it was providing a decent picture at any
angle that anyone in their right mind would want to watch it from.

Sylvia.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

hi, you say looking at    one    ,  try looking at the most and you`ll see
lcd are crap.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Only the very cheapest screens these days have this problem. Most of the
modern ones have very large viewing angles.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Get thee to an eye/brain doctor. Right now.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

hi, no, the LATEST sony lcd is crap , the  800 dollar special  from dick
smith electronics is better than the sony..

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Why do you say that Mark?

Elmo

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Cause he's a moron, the latest Sony LCDs look fantastic.

--
"She made me feel like a human being. That's not the kind of thing you
just forgive." - Angel, Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Site Timeline