why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Panel usually comes with the support boards from panel manufacturer. Usually all that is needed is video controller/tuner and power supply.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

one was the 'Soniq' at JB HIFI the other was in Dick Smith, forget the model

Reply to
u235bomb

All three of which can be screwed up by the el-cheapo's.

You usually get what you pay for, it's a universal rule for every electronic product on the market.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Unless it's a Toshiba, in which case you pay for quality and get a lemon. Lemons.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

They were good once. I bought my Toshiba C-810 18" TV in August 1975 and it's still going OK. I admit that I've had to re-solder almost every joint in the thing and it's had a couple of electrolytic caps go leaky and a vertical deflection transistor failed. Tube's still good though.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** How is your dad's old axe going - Bob ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Resoldering joints isn't quite the same as replacing lots of parts, but I know what you mean. I've been tempted to get some kind of LCD TV to replace it, but the discussions here are making me wonder if that's such a good idea.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

You may not get MORE than you pay for too often, but you sure as hell can get LESS. The more you pay the greater the chance of the latter unfortunately.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

** If you can find a Big W store with any of those AWA brand, 17 inch Monitor/TVs on sale for $ 299 - grab one.

BTW

The one I saw was not faulty, in any way.

The customer used it to demo her new " magic microphone " to me.

If you dunno what that is - try Google.

What will they think of next ..................

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for the info. I've been browsing various retailer sites to see who might be flogging them (Big W's online presence doesn't seem to extend to having catalog info). I might go to a Big W for a first-hand look.

Struth - not for me!

I dread to think about that....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 05:17:21 -0700, "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

That tired old mantra is a never ending source of annoyance for me. This kind of FUD is usually recited by those who have never done more than research the sales brochure and price tag. The number of times I've been let down by an upmarket product is just too many to remember. In the present case I probably would have chosen a cheaper panel if its warranty matched that of the LG, or if I could have had a peek inside. I have no experience in LCD TVs, but if they are anything like LCD monitors, then most of the work is probably done by a single ASIC with only a few support components. Assuming the ASIC is reliable, then I'd only have to be prepared to repair the PSU (usually straightforward), the inverter, or the tuner (which would probably become available in the aftermarket). I presume that generic replacement CCFLs will soon be available from WES and similar sources.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:58:15 +1000, "Rudolf" put finger to keyboard and composed:

These days it seems almost everything is badge engineered. You never really know what's inside until it breaks down. That's why I'm cynical when it comes to brand names.

Right now I'm repairing a 10 year old TC-29R20 Panasonic TV (tuner fault) which has a tired US-made RCA CRT. One of the last Philips TVs I repaired had a low emission Zenith CRT, also US-made. The best CRTs in my experience were made by Philips and Mitsubishi, but even Mitsubishi stopped making their own many years ago.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

hi, all lcd tv`s are crap , you go to the side a bit and it looks crap , with a plasma , does it look crap when you go to the side a bit hmmmmm, errr , let me think errr,,, NO !!

mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

This has been a problem in the past, but I was looking at one the other day (just passing time - I'm not yet in the market to buy), with this particular issue in mind, and it was providing a decent picture at any angle that anyone in their right mind would want to watch it from.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Only the very cheapest screens these days have this problem. Most of the modern ones have very large viewing angles.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Get thee to an eye/brain doctor. Right now.

Reply to
Anthony Horan

hi, you say looking at one , try looking at the most and you`ll see lcd are crap.

Reply to
mark krawczuk

hi, no, the LATEST sony lcd is crap , the 800 dollar special from dick smith electronics is better than the sony..

Reply to
mark krawczuk

Why do you say that Mark?

Elmo

Reply to
Elmo

Cause he's a moron, the latest Sony LCDs look fantastic.

--
"She made me feel like a human being. That's not the kind of thing you
just forgive." - Angel, Buffy The Vampire Slayer