Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

If we got rid of the 85%+ of all emails which is spam, worm & virus attacks, DOS
attacks, we could all go back to
dial-up accounts. :-)

Well not quite dial-up, I am joking, but it would make a hell of a difference.

My site stats tell me I may have between 5 and 25 genuine customers on line at
any given time. Then all of a sudden, I
get 300-500, all from the same IP address, and they are trying to inject scripts
into my shopping cart, so they can
backdoor my cart and hijack it, (for a great number of reasons) to their
advantage. This takes place several times a day.

I have to continually do security updates to my shopping cart to protect myself,
much the same as Micro$oft is updating
our operating systems.

When I was in the big bad real world running multi-million dollar systems, we
had to continually do security upgrades.
Little did I know I would still be doing them on a simple shopping cart. A
shopping cart that keeps me from going on the
old age pension.

Well, maybe.
Watched my gas and electricity bills rise by 75% this year.
Now, that keeps me off the pension. I better make retirement 80. :-)

At least I won't have to pay for the NBN. My grand kids will be sorting that one
out.
My eldest Grand Daughter turns 21 in two weeks. I better tell her the bad news.
Perhaps she already knows.

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

DOS attacks, we could all go back to

Nice word if, how do propose to do this?

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Set your mail server to reject anything but text.
Set your mail client to treat everything as TEXT and not try to run stuff.
Usenet providers should just dump any msg that is cross posted.

Open NIL ports in your firewall. Hint, many applications work just fine,
e.g bittorrent with no ports open. Abandon any application that requires
you to open ports.

Strip all images from webpages unless picture is identified and viewer
clicks to accept it.

Make all webpages static.

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Or use an o/s other than windows

--

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Neither of these proposals will stop spam, it just makes it less pretty.

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

2/3 aint bad. Personally, making it open season on anyone who does would
be a good start.

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Looking in my spam folder in gmail, I doubt 2/3 is correct.

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Take that up with google.

Re: Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

DOS attacks, we could all go back to

I stopped it reaching me in 2002, and anyone who is prepared to take on a little
advice, and spend a little money can do
likewise.

see:
http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Cheers Don...

--

:
[...]

At least you still have your sense of Humour Don :-)

(I entirely agree with your sentiments though)

Site Timeline