Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

Who needs the NBN, when a dial-up account will do just fine?

If we got rid of the 85%+ of all emails which is spam, worm & virus attacks, DOS attacks, we could all go back to dial-up accounts. :-)

Well not quite dial-up, I am joking, but it would make a hell of a difference.

My site stats tell me I may have between 5 and 25 genuine customers on line at any given time. Then all of a sudden, I get 300-500, all from the same IP address, and they are trying to inject scripts into my shopping cart, so they can backdoor my cart and hijack it, (for a great number of reasons) to their advantage. This takes place several times a day.

I have to continually do security updates to my shopping cart to protect myself, much the same as Micro$oft is updating our operating systems.

When I was in the big bad real world running multi-million dollar systems, we had to continually do security upgrades. Little did I know I would still be doing them on a simple shopping cart. A shopping cart that keeps me from going on the old age pension.

Well, maybe. Watched my gas and electricity bills rise by 75% this year. Now, that keeps me off the pension. I better make retirement 80. :-)

At least I won't have to pay for the NBN. My grand kids will be sorting that one out. My eldest Grand Daughter turns 21 in two weeks. I better tell her the bad news. Perhaps she already knows.

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

DOS attacks, we could all go back to

Nice word if, how do propose to do this?

Reply to
SolomonW

Set your mail server to reject anything but text. Set your mail client to treat everything as TEXT and not try to run stuff. Usenet providers should just dump any msg that is cross posted.

Open NIL ports in your firewall. Hint, many applications work just fine, e.g bittorrent with no ports open. Abandon any application that requires you to open ports.

Strip all images from webpages unless picture is identified and viewer clicks to accept it.

Make all webpages static.

Reply to
terryc

Or use an o/s other than windows

--
Reply to
atec77

[...]

At least you still have your sense of Humour Don :-)

(I entirely agree with your sentiments though)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Neither of these proposals will stop spam, it just makes it less pretty.

Reply to
SolomonW

2/3 aint bad. Personally, making it open season on anyone who does would be a good start.
Reply to
terryc

DOS attacks, we could all go back to

I stopped it reaching me in 2002, and anyone who is prepared to take on a little advice, and spend a little money can do likewise.

see:

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Looking in my spam folder in gmail, I doubt 2/3 is correct.

Reply to
SolomonW

Take that up with google.

Reply to