Which is better electric or blade shaver?

Which do most people prefer?

I just purchased a brand new electric shaver and I have to say after using it for a couple of weeks now I find I get a better shave with my blade shaver which only cost me a 10th of what the electric one cost.

Very disappointed that the electric one does a less efficient job

Reply to
Kate Fights, I Cry

Yes, the electric gives the lesser shave but mine is 10 yrs old and on its 3 set of blades

I use a blade on my neck if I'm going on a date.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"Kate Fights, I Cry"

** Over a period of years, an electric shaver works out as far cheaper - since you use no shaving cream and you are not constantly replacing blades. Also, you cannot cut yourself and you can do a "touch up " job anytime, anywhere.

BTW Learn to use "OT" when making off topic posts.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Fascinating, absolutely fascinating the things one can learn on aus.electronics

{:-)}}}

Far cheaper not to shave.

Reply to
Terry Collins

cheaper -

blades.

anytime,

Apologies Terry

Since there isn't an aus.electrical group for such things this seems the closest group by topic to post this question in...

Reply to
sittinginthepool

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:17:28 +0930, "Kate Fights, I Cry" put finger to keyboard and composed:

All my life I've used a blade. About a year ago I purchased an electric shaver and have never looked back. Now I wonder why I suffered for so long.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

What are you apologising for. Mine was just as OT And the iconograph says it all {:-).

Reply to
Terry Collins

**I have two electric shavers. An ancient (20 years old) Philips rechargeable and a relatively new (6 years old) Braun. Immediately I used the Braun, I thought it was much better. However, after fitting a new set of blades to the Philips (which I gave to my partner for her legs), I am convinced that the Philips is a superior design. A blade shaves closer than any electric razor can. HOWEVER, my partner much prefers me to use an electric razor. Here's my theory:

A mate and me travelled across the US a few years ago. I was grumbling about how I only managed to get three shaves out of a fairly expensive twin blade razor. He was shocked. He gets more than 3 MONTHS from a blade. I guess there are beards and there are beards.

My thoughts run like this:

A blade cuts the hair and leaves it with a sharp edge. For those of us with tough hairs, it can irritate our partner's skin. An electric razor, OTOH, shatters the hair and leaves it with a ragged end, which does not irritate our partner's delicate skin. And, I stress, that a razor does not cut as close to the skin.

BTW: If you do use a razor, DO NOT EVEN THINK about using soap or those silly foam things. Buy yourself some cheap Sorbolene cream. MUCH better for YOUR skin than soap.

Just my 2c worth.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I prefer the electric.

Had a philishave (basic mains powered model) for about 17 years, was great. When it finally died (AC motor went OC) I bought A new Philips aquagenic 8894, which was about $300 (bought it when out of australia) and much better still.

(I dont know how good other brands are, or how good the cheaper philips types perform so cant comment.)

These take a little bit of getting used to though, when I first started using electric, would get rashes and such, but after a couple of weeks or so they gradually dimninshed to nothing.

I would never use a blade after that, it does give a smoother skin, but no matter how careful I was - would often manage to cut myself in some way or another. Would also be lucky to get more than a few uses from a blade until it went blunt, so it turned out to be an expensive pastime.

Reply to
KLR

Obviously no one showed Norman Gunston how to use an electric shaver without cutting himself. :)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

In his interview with Sally Struthers (the daughter in "All in the Family") she asked him, "Why don't you use an electric shaver?"

Pause.

Gunston: "I do."

Cheers, Gary B-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

You mean do away with the shaving cream or foam and just the sorbolene cream. I'll try it...

I'm still amazed I fell for the advertising on TV before I purchased my shaver... Next time I'll think before spending $$$

Reply to
Kate Fights, I Cry

**You won't be sorry. Your skin will be better for it.

**How do you think I felt about buying a damned Braun, when my ageing Philips provided better performance (after a new set of NiCads and blades were fitted)?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You must be one of the unlucky ones. I get easily a month out of a blade. Electric's never held my fancy, i'll probably go down that path one day but until then, i'm happy with my cream and blade.

Plus, I've never cut myself bar when I first started shaving, and got stuck on pimples.

-mark

Reply to
Mark H