Where to get IDC cables?

** I need a few 20 way, 0.05 IDC cables.

Farnell have some ready made ones bit not long enough for my app.

Anyone know of a source or someone who offers custom assembly?

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not really a source as such but Altronics sell a hand tool for crimping IDC connectors plus the conectors and cables. Only works with IDC sockets and D connectors.

They're easy to make and doing it yourself will probably save time and money.

Just a thought

Alan

Jenal Communications
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan

We've used Australian Interconnection Technology previously, they seem ok.

11 A Capital Link Drv Campbellfield 3061 (03) 9357 7766

For low quantities, I've generally made my own cables using a bench vice.

Reply to
dmm

"Alan" "Phil Allison"

** Yes - I see it in their cat. for about $30.
** Seems limited to crimping 0.05 IDCs of up to maybe 24 way.

Likely better than my tiny bench vyce but.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"dmm"

** What is the "secret" of getting the ribbon cable aligned at rt. angles to the header?

I have tried this in the past and had a fairly poor success rate.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think the biggest I have done up to now is 26way and 25 way D using mine - but it should do all sizes without any problems. The best thing is that the travel is just right for the connectors so you can't over-squeeze them (like you can with a vice) and it's fairly easy to line up the cable at right angles.

I've actually made an adapter for mine to do the very small AMP micromatch connectors, that are used in some radios, and it works quite well.

Alan

Jenal Communications
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan

Others may have their own ways which may be better but this is what I do. Assemble the 1st end onto the cable, with just the connector and the insulation displacement clamp. Do not clamp it down yet, and try to align the cable at right angle to the connector. Use a tri-square if necessary. Once that's achieved, just apply a small amount of force to the IDC clamp to enable the displacement blades to grip into the insulation without going the full distance. Place the connector assembly into the vice, trying not to change the position of the connector with respect to the cable. Lightly clamp the vice to the connector/cable assembly. When you're satisfied that the assembly is still at right angles, and the cable hasn't moved, close the vice to complete the crimp. Install the second cable clamp.

If you feel you've got an eye for a right angle, you might just put the cable into the connector and then the vice, then wriggle the cable until you're satisfied that it's square, then complete the crimp.

I don't think either method really gives a perfect right angle, but it's close enough.

Reply to
dmm

"Phil Allison"

** On closer inspection of the "Farnell in One" cattledog - I find they have "Molex" brand QF50 series ready made IDC cables in lengths from 100mm to 400mm and from 10 to 40 way.

Average price around $8 each plus gst.

Think I will give 'em a go tomorrow.

Thanks to all who posted good suggestions for DIY cables.

Reply to
Phil Allison