Where to get IDC cables?

**  I need a few 20 way, 0.05 IDC cables.

Farnell have some ready made ones bit not long enough for my app.

Anyone know of a source or someone who offers custom assembly?

.........  Phil

Re: Where to get IDC cables?

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:05:25 +1100, "Phil Allison"

Not really a source as such but Altronics sell a hand tool for
crimping IDC connectors plus the conectors and cables.  Only works
with IDC sockets and D connectors.

They're easy to make and doing it yourself will probably save time and
money.

Just a thought

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: Where to get IDC cables?

"Alan"
 "Phil Allison"

 **   Yes -  I see it in their cat.  for about  $30.

**  Seems limited to crimping  0.05 IDCs of up to maybe 24 way.

     Likely better than my tiny bench vyce but.

.........  Phil

Re: Where to get IDC cables?

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:55:19 +1100, "Phil Allison"

I think the biggest I have done up to now is 26way and 25 way D using
mine - but it should do all sizes without any problems.  The best
thing is that the travel is just right for the connectors so you can't
over-squeeze them (like you can with a vice) and it's fairly easy to
line up the cable at right angles.

I've actually made an adapter for mine to do the very small AMP
micromatch connectors, that are used in some radios, and it works
quite well.

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: Where to get IDC cables?

We've used Australian Interconnection Technology previously, they seem ok.
11 A Capital Link Drv
Campbellfield 3061
(03) 9357 7766

For low quantities, I've generally made my own cables using a bench vice.

Re: Where to get IDC cables?

"dmm"

**  What is the "secret" of getting the ribbon cable aligned at rt. angles
to the header?

 I have tried this in the past and had a fairly poor success rate.

.........  Phil

Re: Where to get IDC cables?

Others may have their own ways which may be better but this is what I do.
Assemble the 1st end onto the cable, with just the connector and the insulation
displacement clamp. Do not clamp it down yet, and try to align the cable at
right
angle to the connector. Use a tri-square if necessary. Once that's achieved,
just
apply a small amount of force to the IDC clamp to enable the displacement blades
to grip into the insulation without going the full distance. Place the connector
assembly
into the vice, trying not to change the position of the connector with respect
to the cable.
Lightly clamp the vice to the connector/cable assembly. When you're satisfied
that the
assembly is still at right angles, and the cable hasn't moved, close the vice to
complete
the crimp. Install the second cable clamp.

If you feel you've got an eye for a right angle, you might just put the cable
into the
connector and then the vice, then wriggle the cable until you're satisfied that
it's
square, then complete the crimp.

I don't think either method really gives a perfect right angle, but it's close
enough.

Re: Where to get IDC cables?

"Phil Allison"

 ** On closer inspection of the  "Farnell in One"  cattledog  -  I find they
have "Molex" brand  QF50 series ready made IDC cables in lengths from 100mm
to 400mm  and  from 10 to 40 way.

Average price around $8  each plus gst.

Think I will give 'em a go tomorrow.

Thanks to all who posted good suggestions for DIY cables.

Site Timeline