Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

To complete repairs of a Fluke 23 I now only require some "1500 V
surge protectors". That's what the BOM on the Fluke 70 series service
manual calls them. Though on the 23 model one of them is actually 2 in
series.

These are red, about 5mm dia x 4mm. markings are

H NI
1399

They look like old Harris or GE MOV's.

The other one is yellow, 8x8x5mm, has a sawn slit half way through it
and has markings

MDC
1-2KV
9143

Any clues where to get similar ones at least? Farnell, Digikey and RS
don't appear to go that high in voltage choices.

Re: Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

< snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

** Then MOVs are what the probably are.

Farnell have 7mm MOVs in 460 Vrms or 750 VDC  @ 1mA  -   so two of them
gives you 1500 VDC.

Cat:  100-4346  for  $1.21+

** Then that is no MOV -  it is a spark gap.

 Not likely to need replacement  - just a clean.

.....   Phil

Re: Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

That looks like the nearest thing around. I'll grab some.

OK.. so I had a close look inside the gap and spied a tiny bit of grit
there. Cleaned with some shim, now the resistance shows megohm instead
of ohms. I will get a new one, but replace for now.

Re: Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

< snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
 "Phil Allison"

OK.. so I had a close look inside the gap and spied a tiny bit of grit
there. Cleaned with some shim, now the resistance shows megohm instead
of ohms. I will get a new one, but replace for now.

** Very hard to find anyone selling such spark gaps.

Might be easier to extract one from the neck PCB of an old CRT monitor   -
look out for one in the nature strip fodder.

....   Phil

Scrounger Phil from Summer Hill

Still getting your parts from road verge collection junk eh
Philthy? :-))  Had any more Quad gear, toasters or Sony
CDP101s lately?

TT :-))

Re: Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

You might find some in old `junk box' PC power supplies...

Cu

Re: Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:18:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Fluke's supplier code for that part is 91984.

This URL suggests that "MDC" is "MAIDA DEVELOPMENT CO":
http://www.tpub.com/content/logistics/59/10/759/01-319-9890.htm

This is MDC's web site:
http://www.maida.com/content/products/products.asp

9143 appears to be a YYWW date code.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Where to get Fluke spares..surge protectors.

Good find Franc, cant see spark gaps on their site yet though.

Site Timeline