What voltage caps ?

** See  ABSE  for pic of some ceramic caps.

Marked as " 470 " &   " M750 "    =   470pF and 750ppm.

Reddish orange in colour, dimensions = 10mm x 10mm x 2mm.

Probably sourced from an Australian supplier a few years back.

What is the voltage rating and how do you tell ?

....   Phil

Re: What voltage caps ?

I thought that M might be the tolerance code (M = +/-20%) and 7 possibly the
material code. This leaves the '50' as the voltage rating of 50V.

Re: What voltage caps ?

"swanny"

**  The cap exhibits a negative tempco of about 750ppm.

M might just stand for  "minus".

The colour is the only clue left for voltage.

.....   Phil

Re: What voltage caps ?

it must be 470pF and +/-20% 750V. I find it hard to believe it has
750ppm per degree, what is it from?

Re: What voltage caps ?

"MisterE"

**  Better go look up  " temperature compensating ceramic capacitors " on
Google.

 Bit old hat for the uP, MP3 and IT  generation   -    I know.

**  Did you see the pic?

.....    Phil

Re: What voltage caps ?

That was my thinking too. Expected now to be slandered mercilessly.

Graham

Re: What voltage caps ?
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:01:14 +0100, Eeyore
composed:

There are NPO, N150, N750, N1500 ceramic caps, for example.

N750 caps have a tempco of -750ppm/degC.

That doesn't quite gel with "M750", though.

See
http://www.libertybellinc.com/CatalogFinalPDF/FixedComponent/FixedCapacitor/CeramicDiscCapacitors/CeramicCapacitor-CDC16-100V.pdf
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xs5zt

- Franc Zabkar

Re: What voltage caps ?

:On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:01:14 +0100, Eeyore
:composed:
:
:>MisterE wrote:
:>
:>> it must be 470pF and +/-20% 750V.
:>
:>That was my thinking too. Expected now to be slandered mercilessly.
:>
:>Graham
:
:There are NPO, N150, N750, N1500 ceramic caps, for example.
:
:N750 caps have a tempco of -750ppm/degC.
:
:That doesn't quite gel with "M750", though.
:
:See
:http://www.libertybellinc.com/CatalogFinalPDF/FixedComponent/FixedCapacitor/CeramicDiscCapacitors/CeramicCapacitor-CDC16-100V.pdf
:http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xs5zt
:
:- Franc Zabkar

You are correct Franc. My guess is that the manufacturer chose to substitute the
N with the M since the 750 by itself infers the tempco, and since this
characteristic is invariably negative there is no need to put the N. The
substitute M is a neat way of providing the capacitance tolerance (+/-20%) while
saving extra characters in the limited space available.

Re: What voltage caps ?

:http://www.libertybellinc.com/CatalogFinalPDF/FixedComponent/FixedCapacitor/CeramicDiscCapacitors/CeramicCapacitor-CDC16-100V.pdf
the
while

Sounds moderately convincing. Doesn't solve the voltage rating problem though.

Graham

Re: What voltage caps ?
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:56:09 +0100, Eeyore

:
:
:Ross Herbert wrote:
:
:> Franc Zabkar wrote:
:> :Eeyore: put finger to keyboard and:composed:
:> :>MisterE wrote:
:> :>
:> :>> it must be 470pF and +/-20% 750V.
:> :>
:> :>That was my thinking too. Expected now to be slandered mercilessly.
:> :>
:> :>Graham
:> :
[...]

If you have been following this thread then you will note that I gave my opinion
on the voltage previously. I was simply replying to Franc on the topic of the
use of M in place of N ahead of the 750. You didn't respond to Franc's post by
saying that his post didn't solve the voltage problem so why do so with mine. If
you can't offer some constructive comment then say nothing.

Re: What voltage caps ?

"Ross Herbert"

** Such complaints are just water off a duck's back to psychopathic
narcissists like Graham Stevenson.

Even his web page is totally vacuous:

http://www.grahamstevenson.co.uk/contact.asp

http://www.grahamstevenson.co.uk /

All bloat,  no substance.

.......    Phil

Re: What voltage caps ?
finger to keyboard and composed:

750ppm over a range of 100degC would equate to ...

 750 * 100 * 100 / 1000000 = 7.5%

- Franc Zabkar