What technology will be next

Anyone have an idea what will come after LCD & Plasma
have had their run in the market for TV and monitors?

Re: What technology will be next

OLED, once the technology is improved.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: What technology will be next

Speaking of which I was in the Kodak site and the
way they are going on about OLED panels it's a wonder
they haven't replaced LCD panels in most products
already.

One of their claims is that they are faster then
film when it comes to speed.

Also faster then video pixel response

See here
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path14%73/1481/1485&pq-locale=en_US

and
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path14%73/1481/1486&pq-locale=en_US

--
John

Remember the good old 1980s
Re: What technology will be next

Agreed, OLED will definitely revolutionise screen technology. Do you know if
they have the color OLEDs working yet?

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3
Re: What technology will be next

See here

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path14%73/1481/1485&pq-locale=en_US

and
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path14%73/1481/1486&pq-locale=en_US

Re: What technology will be next

I remember a few months ago, either Sony or some other Japanese company
put on market a PDA type device with a small OLED screen, instead of an
LCD screen. It was on the news as a world first for a commercially
available device that used OLED technology.

Re: What technology will be next

Go wild:
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid05%/05/09/2211209&tid19%6&tid13%7

--
Chris,

Re: What technology will be next

crystal balls

Re: What technology will be next

Speaking of crytal balls, for IEEE members out there, has anyone seen the
picture of a swept 3D display in the IEEE Spectrum Magazine? Its like a
glass globe and an image forms inside.

3D technology looks really cool.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: What technology will be next

They will just get bigger/smaller and in the case of Plasma, cheaper.

D.

Re: What technology will be next

Paper books.

Well, you can always hope.

Luke

Re: What technology will be next

snipped-for-privacy@webber.com.au says...

FED.

Re: What technology will be next

Have heard of DLP ("Digital Light Processing") is a proprietary technology
developed by Texas Instruments. It works quite differently than LCD. Instead
of having glass panels through which light is passed, the DLP chip is a
reflective surface made up of thousands of tiny mirrors. Each mirror
represents a single pixel.

search google for     dlp_demo.swf     and watch it.

Anyone have an idea what will come after LCD & Plasma
have had their run in the market for TV and monitors?

Re: What technology will be next

I can't for the life of me work out why a set of three lasers (RGB)
shouldn't be bounced off two spinning polygonal mirrors and modulated
to produce a projector. Lasers are fairly inefficient light sources
though, perhaps that's the reason. Plenty of advantages if it could
be made to work, though.

Clifford Heath.

Re: What technology will be next

What are you hinting at? Would the lasers make a hologram?

Re: What technology will be next

Not necessarily. I was thinking that I could have a tablet
or handheld PC, and it could project the screen image onto
a suitable wall or even the back of the seat in front,
giving a decent sized screen image out of a small device.
Basically a portable computer with built-in projector.

Re: What technology will be next

You'd have to move the mirrors pretty damn fast for that to happen. Have
you ever been to a laser show? They can't even show a line drawing (with
far less area to cover than a screen!) with any stability (Can't do it
fast enough).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: What technology will be next

Laser light shows use positional transducers. This would use
a spinning polygonal mirror. The horizontal sweep would need
for example a 12-sided mirror spinning at 78000 RPM to achieve
the 15625 kHz refresh rate of TV - quite doable. Relatively
un-exotic devices exist that use air bearings to spin 20 times
as fast - modern dental drills for example that spin over 1M
RPM.

Re: What technology will be next

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:06:57 +0930, I Caught Kate

Check out EDN's Brian Dilbert missive at

http://www.edn.com/article/CA505067.html

Re: What technology will be next - Followup

http://www.physorg.com/news4031.html

Site Timeline