what's valuable in a microwave oven?

Microwave ovens are commonly thrown out for verge pickups.
The last two in my town, I have noticed that somebody has
gone around and opened up every one of them, often with a
crowbar. So I am curious what component is worth the
effort to go scavenging thus?

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

The transformer has lots of copper. maybe worth $20 as scrap.
worth more if someone has another use for it
(eg making a Tesla coil)

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

Local scrap guys in WA are not interested in transformers big or small; "too
hard to separate the copper & iron". They go in with the assorted scrap
steel.

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

On Sun,  4 Jul 2010 06:00:06 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio

Magnets.

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

??? do you mean magnetrons?

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

Yeah the magnets that surround the magnetron's cavity.
Very powerful.

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

moderately powerful.  like the magnet from a large loudspeaker,
pretty wimpy when compared to the neodymium magnets found in hard drives,

Magnet technology has come a long way since AlNiCo.

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

Microwave ovens have powerful magnets around the magnetron.

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

Forgot about them.

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

Are they better than hard disk magnets?

Re: what's valuable in a microwave oven?

terryc Inscribed thus:

As Jason said "pretty wimpy when compared to the neodymium magnets found
in hard drives" !

--
Best Regards:

Re: Denon DP-1200 Direct Drive Record Player - Turntable

.:.

Site Timeline