What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

Hi guys.

What is the best brand of alkaline batteries?  If size matters it's for
AAA size & some AA size.

Thanx 4 looking.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

What do you want? maximum capacity or highest terminal voltage over the
life of the battery: most AA alkalines are 2.8 AH and the newer Lithiums
are not much better at around 3.0 AH but keep the terminal voltage at
1.6V to 1.5V for most of the life of the battery.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

of alkaline batteries?  If size matters it's for

But are extremely poor value for money unless absolutely necessary for the
application.
IMO the best alkaline batteries are the ones that give the best life Vs cost
ratio, and don't leak. Duracell fails on the first, Eveready fails on both
counts!
I now use Chinese ones exclusively and don't have any problems.

MrT.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

   FWIW, I've had Duracells leak on a fairly regular basis and would
never use them again for that reason. But I don't recall ever having
either Energizer or Eveready Gold ones leak.
   A few years ago Rockby Electronics was selling 9V "Buzz" alkaline
batteries very cheaply. Every one of them leaked badly. I suppose you
get what you pay for.

Bob

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

I have had so many Eveready's leak I once had a collection for display
purposes!
I once took an *unopened* packet of Eveready Golds that were leaking back to
their office in Melbourne. They were not at all surprised, and offered me
Heavy Duty blacks instead!

Never bought one since, and never will.

MrT.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

   Very interesting! Was this happening recently or some time ago?
You've had the same kind of experience with Evereadys I was having
(but not as badly) with Duracells.

Bob

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

It was nearly ten years ago I stopped buying, and I had a sizeable
collection dating for about ten years previous to that.
I haven't bought an Eveready since then, so they may have improved.
(couldn't get any worse that's for sure)
However one thing I am certain of is that I have had *FAR* fewer batteries
leak since I stopped buying Eveready, and I have saved a lot of money buying
batteries for half the price, which last nearly as long.

I just bought a pack of 4*AA alkalines today for $1.99. Try getting
Eveready's for that!
Somebody's got to pay for their marketing expense I guess, as long as it's
not me :-)

MrT.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

I have a 3.3 to 2.7 volt microprocessor data logging project and I'm
interested in hearing about various experiences with batteries, this
project has to run for about a year on two AA in a tropical marine
environment.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

   Not a Zilog Encore micro is it?

   They reckon lithium cells are best for lowest self discharge and
handling temperature extremes (and having very high energy density).

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

If I had my way it would be a Zilog Z8 Encore XP, The selected device
is a MAXQ2000 16 bit RISC design it's fast and low power but programming
in assembly is fun as I don't have the C compiler for it.

I ported the 28pin Z8 temp sensor example to the 8pin Z8 and had it
hooked up to a class one bluetooth transmitter with a new antenna
design: I had over 3 Km before I ran out of space for it. I understand
the current world record is less than that.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

   Congrats on exceeding the world record.
   I was curious about the micro because I'm playing with the 28 pin
Z8F041 at the moment. No ADC so no temp sensor in that one, but a nice
micro anyway.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

But the claims don't match reality IME, admittedly limited, since I can't
justify the expense of buying any more.
The extra performance certainly didn't match the extra expense.

MrT.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

    Mark was interested in powering a microcontroller circuit under
fairly extreme conditions for a long time, so lithiums seemed to be a
reasonable readily-available choice for that application.
   For more mundane uses, quite likely alkalines would be a more
cost-effective choice. :)

Bob

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

Possibly, but without knowing the actual current drain, time between
service, possible power availabilty from other sources, size and weight
constraints etc. etc. it's impossible to say whether it's a *good* option.

Without a doubt.

MrT.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

I may need to opt for a Lithiums at 1.6V for most of their life
or opt for a third cell just to have some voltage margin to play
with as I really need a few different voltages for the project.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

I can tell you what brand to stay away from - I bought  a pile of Jaycar's
"Eclipse" brand 9V alkalines a month ago and stuffed them into various
different smoke alarms (different brands and models). Within 3 days, every
smoke alarm was beeping saying the battery was flat.

I felt like taking it up with Jaycar, but that sort of thing is hard to
prove, and I can guess the level of Jaycar's care factor.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

Do yourself and other consumers a favour and return the batteries for a
refund.
Sometimes faulty stock or a shonky product get marketed, unfortunately not
always
at the vendor's knowledge.  I reckon it would be uneconomical and
impractical to
test every item that makes its way to the shelves, so take them back and get
them to
perform a discharge test on their "new" floor stock.  It could be that they
have been
supplied with a bad batch of batteries.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

cheap 20/30? pack of arlec alkalines can be had for $10 work well
the bulk packs from DSE are great for the price too.

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

On 23 May 2006 08:57:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mail.tpg.com.au put finger
to keyboard and composed:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/batteries/aa_battery_comparison.htm

- Franc Zabkar

Re: What is the Best Brand of Alkaline Batteries?

  Thanks! That chart  reflects my experience with Eveready Titanium
cells. A lot of hype and a considerably higher price for a negligible
improvement in performance over normal alkalines, even under heavy
loads.

Bob

On Thu, 25 May 2006 07:34:09 +1000, Franc Zabkar