What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**Certainly. Hybrids and EVs are expensive, when compared to IC engined cars. It may not always be the case. As production increases, then costs may fall. Hence my example of the Model T Ford. Whilst Hybrids will always be more expensive that IC only cars, there will ultimately be a point reached where oil is so expensive, that hybrids may make sense. Oil is a finite resource. It is also, far and away, the best, presently available, energy storage system for automobiles.
**Certainly.

**I don't know the Forrester, but I've never seen an engine reach operating temperature that quickly (in cool weather). I feel compelled to doubt your claim. I would expect several km would be about right. The Blue Motion engine would likely warm up faste, due to it's small block mass.
**Good point. Perhaps the indicator cancels the engine management in this area? Those whacky Germans are pretty good at ensuring stupid mistakes are not made when releasing new techology. Mostly.
**Indeed. Nonetheless, given the rising cost of oil, research is likely to continue. Hybrids, in their present form, may not represent the answer to the problems. Standard IC engines are unlikely to represent the future either.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

Exactly this one, made by you a few posts back.

"The H2 engine gives off WATER VAPOUR for exhaust! It's clean!"

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

True statement!

As I said.. even it was an issue, it just raises the question whether it is necessary to supply O2 Tanks on top of H2.

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

I think Rotary Engines are more suitable for H2, I heard the fuel intake is separate to the combustion section so it can handle higher temperatures.

but H2 is the Hard Problem! It's not TOO HARD - 2H. It's H2! :o|

*****

The Easy Problem is 80% of car usage is

Reply to
Graham Cooper

Yes, keeps it firmly where it belongs - either around the coal-fired power stations used to generate the electricity for electrolysis, or around the steam reformation plants.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

:o|

electricity for electrolysis is not a 24 hour application.

You need to get some sun.

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

it's pretty amazing what can be done, an engine can be convinced to produce significantly more heat (and less mechanical energy) merely by delaying the spark by 15 degrees and opening the throttle a bit.

I discovered this by accident about 9 years ago.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

What is it keeping cold exactly? Is it even cold? Hard to tell anything from those pics.

Are you using an eeePC?

Reply to
Clocky

fuel, (including at the roadside, if the battery runs out),

"Better Place" has solved the former and, once battery swap stations are as common as petrol stations, there is no reason why roadside assist vans cannot carry a battery, or charge yours, so that you could get to the nearest one.

as current fuels,

That is not a universal requirement. The "Better Place" target market is the urban dweller that needs a car to get to work but the electric car could equally well appeal to those that use a second car for local transport.

We are there. How about 200,000 miles ?

Electric cars are simpler than carbon fueled cars and there is every reason to suppose they will cost less once there is a mass market.

The cost of electricity to power an engine is much cheaper than the cost of petrol although that is partly because of fuel taxes. Have you wondered why you can't plug a hybrid car into the mains without voiding your warrantee?

That's a nice place to be!

Reply to
Gordon Levi

It's fine. I drove a BMW 1 Series recently and it restarts with no noticeable delay. It was very disconcerting at first because, in addition to the worry about restarting it, when the engine stops you think you have stalled it.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:59:47 -0700 (PDT), the following appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Graham Cooper :

oxides

ADD getting you down? It's right there at the top: "The H2 engine gives off WATER VAPOUR for exhaust!  It's clean!" Although the first sentence is correct (but would also be correct for any existing IC engine, since one of the exhaust components resulting from burning hydrocarbons is water, making it irrelevant), the second is not, since NOx isn't "clean" by anyone's definition.

Missed that part about Wiki not being a comprehensive source, did you? ADD again? Or did you actually mean "relatively clean" and just got carried away by the wonder of it all?

--
Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Casanova

**No doubt. I doubt that the many kg of block mass (and coolant) can be heated up so rapidly though.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

ean!

of oxides

How do you get Nitrates from H2 and O2?

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

rom

Can of coke in the bottom sitting in 3 inches of water.

The temp drops instantly.

The 1st experiment I just recycled 25 degree water into a 12 shower, through 1 foot of air pointing back down into the basin.

Dropped 5 degrees in 10 minutes.

EVAP Coolers cool the air. I'm catching the cold water droplets and separating that from the humid air bi-product.

Standard 10inch notebook.

WOW has an 18inch laptop, clearing stock was $2000>>$1300 but setting up shop is costing all my pays so far.

Should have a Microwave running next week!

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

A purpose built roadster is hardly a passenger vehicle. I never suggested they had no torque, I said they produce maximum torque at

0 revs and as the revs increase the torque decreases. You still haven't shown an electric car that can tow anything as well as a ICE vehicle.

Purpose built sure, but a comparable ICE can do it better and longer.

Reply to
Clocky

Here's Hollywood's concept cars from 2030

You can ride around on a bike today at 50km/hour for 2 hours!

All the Westerners living in Asia love their electric bikes!

But they're 30KG with the battery! 20kg + 10kg

What idiots put an electric motor in a 2tonne Holden?

You could have electric cars TODAY if you reduced the requirements a little!

Put 4 wheels on a bike and an extra 10kg perspex cover!

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

**That is EXACTLY what it is. Two PASSENGERS. OK, then, how about this:

Five seats, 0 - 100kph in less than 6 seconds.

**And you're STILL wrong. Electric motors deliver 100% of their torque at zero RPM and continue delivering 100% of their torque to maximum RPM. This is in contrast to all IC engines, where torque is delivered over a specific rev band.

You still haven't

**That proof was posted by Gordon.
**Your claim that an electric vehicle cannot 'pull the skin off a pudding' has been completely and utterly demolished.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Here's my Electric Car design..

It has virtual pivot independent real wheel suspension shock absorber front wheel suspension dual 1000W Electric Motors with 100km range dual 30AMP-HOUR Lithium Batteries rack and pinion steering rear vehicle passenger access CREE LED headlamps

Total cost $3000 + CONSTRUCTION

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

Hmmm...

No air conditioning.

No weather protection.

No air bags.

Zero crash-worthiness.

High drag coeffecient.

No bluetooth.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

there's a lot of power available. But yeah, looking at google maps it took about 2km to warm my engine up starting from about 15 degrees C,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts