What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power? - Page 10

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

**Like the Tesla Roadster? You have still not explained how a vehicle
with no torgue (like the Tesla) is able to accelerate a 1.2 Tonne car to
100kph in 3.7 seconds.

**It shows that an electric automobile can possess excellent towing ability.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Why don't you run a cable to it like The Delorean?

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

A purpose built roadster is hardly a passenger vehicle.
I never suggested they had no torque, I said they produce maximum torque at
0 revs and as the revs increase the torque decreases. You still haven't
shown an electric car that can tow anything as well as a ICE vehicle.

Purpose built sure, but a comparable ICE can do it better and longer.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

**That is EXACTLY what it is. Two PASSENGERS. OK, then, how about this:

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

Five seats, 0 - 100kph in less than 6 seconds.

**And you're STILL wrong. Electric motors deliver 100% of their torque
at zero RPM and continue delivering 100% of their torque to maximum RPM.
This is in contrast to all IC engines, where torque is delivered over a
specific rev band.

  You still haven't

**That proof was posted by Gordon.

**Your claim that an electric vehicle cannot 'pull the skin off a
pudding' has been completely and utterly demolished.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
http://CAMAFFILIATE.COM/ELECTRIC-CAR-PROTOTYPE.png

Here's my Electric Car design..

It has
  virtual pivot independent real wheel suspension
  shock absorber front wheel suspension
  dual 1000W Electric Motors with 100km range
  dual 30AMP-HOUR Lithium Batteries
  rack and pinion steering
  rear vehicle passenger access
  CREE LED headlamps

Total cost $3000 + CONSTRUCTION

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Hmmm...

No air conditioning.

No weather protection.

No air bags.

Zero crash-worthiness.

High drag coeffecient.

No bluetooth.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

It's got 4 wheel disc brakes...  but you need 4 hands to use all 4 at
once!

http://CAMAFFILIATE.COM/ELECTRIC-CAR-PROTOTYPE.png

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

No structural integrity and the weight of the battery, motor and dri... errr
rider should make for an amusing contraption to watch come to pieces at
100km/h.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Bike Riders do OK!   200W Bike will keep you going at 50km/hour on the
flat, bit of peddling will get you up to speed quicker without
draining power.  i.e. pedal to start from the lights.

This car won't have pedals though.

1000W bike (illegal in Aus) will accelerate nicely for you.

Probably top 100km/hour my 2000W design, briefly.

Air resistance is proportional to the SQUARE of speed.

It's not noticeable at Suburb speeds, you can wear sunnies if you
like.

When you get up to 180km/hr you can't move your helmet left or right
on a motorbike, you won't be moving it back to center the wind
resistance kicks in about 150km/hr.

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Doesn't matter. Greenies don't include the CO2 released by rotting human
corpses when calculating greenhouse impacts.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Doesn't matter, the impact of rotting humans is the same regardless of what
time in life death occurs but the environmental impact as far as resource
use and emissions goes is greatly reduced if a human is killed prematurely
in Herc's contraption compared to having lived their full lifespan.

So yes, Herc's contraption reduces CO2 emissions but not neccessarily for
the reasons he thinks it might.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Well spotted. Now, the premature death doesn't have to be caused by
Herc's machine. Any cause will do. Including self-infliction. This
allows us to test the resolve of Greenies. If they really believe
there's an issue, they have a course of action available to them to
mitigate it.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

An easier test of their resolve is to get them to all be sterilized.
That's been suggested enough times, but the overwhelming majority of
them refuse.  Easier than that, suggest that they lead the way by
strictly following all their own rules (that they want to force on us
nonbelievers), and logically extend those rules to drastically reduce
their environmental impact.  Nope, they won't do that either.  I have
a greenie (CAGW) friend who goes on and on about what we should all
do, and be forced to do, to save the planet.  He and his wife live in
a house of about 2400 square feet, leave lights on all the time "for
the cats", own three vehicles, drive to jobs that are within easy
bicycling distance, frequently fly to distant (>1000 miles) cities for
recreational purposes, frequently drive for recreational purposes, and
otherwise live like the typical modern people that they blame for the
imminent destruction of the planet.

Extremists are generally hypocrites.  Good luck getting them to do
anything towards their own claimed goals that involves even a minor
sacrifice on their own part.  They'd rather try to force everyone else
to "behave".  When I approach Al Gore's lifetime "carbon footprint",
I'll start to consider whether I should cut back.
</rant>

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

I think we should do what we can individually to reduce our impact (and set
an example form others to follow, not preach and do nothing) and remove the
(typically) right wing intentionally destructive fuckwits from the gene
pool.

There is no question that our actions is damaging our environment (the
evidence is overwhelming) and change starts at home. Why put it off?

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

It's the same problem. There will be days on which the sun doesn't
shine, and you'll then charge your Volt off the grid, which has to have
generation capacity in place to allow for that. If everyone charged
their Volts off the grid every day, then more efficient generation
capacity would be used than for the situation where Volts are only
charged off grid when the sun isn't shining.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Not only that, the cars are least likely to be used at night, would be char=
ging, and would NOT be using solar.   Even in this fictional commuter scena=
rio quoted, where everyone drives into the city to work, then home, it woul=
d be impossible to get sufficient surface area on multi level car parks, or=
 office buildings to place enough panels to do the job for the number of ca=
rs involved.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**Let's review the facts:

* Not ALL cars are used every day to drive 40km. In my case, a 40km
range would last me almost a week.
* I suggested (but did not explicitly state) that the PV array would be
dedicated to charge the battery of the Volt (though it could be another
electric car).

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

I still don't see that changes anything unless you are willing to forgo
the use of your car when you've used up the charge, or run it on its
petrol engine.

You might be willing, but if so I can't see most people being like you.
Most will charge it from the grid if there's no sunlight, and that
causes the problem discussed in this thread.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**Your initial comments (correctly) centred on the ramifications of
using PV cells and their usefulness WRT grid connected power. My
suggestion was to not bother with connecting the PV cells to the grid at
all, but to, instead, use the PV cells to keep an electric vehicle
charged. This would have several benefits:

* Reduce CO2 emissions from the vehicle.
* Have no impact on the grid.
* Reduce demands on the grid.

**No one suggested that PV cells were a panacea, but there are other
ways to skin a cat.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

One needs to take a pragmatic view. Some people may be willing to adjust
their lives to address CO2 emissions, but most people will simply follow
the path of least financial resistance.

The Government needs to ensure that that path doesn't represent an
increase in total cost without a commensurate environmental gain. As
things stand, that's very much in doubt.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline