What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power? - Page 8

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Huh? How did I become responsible for citing figures just because you
claim, without any evidence, that I've previously cited them. My
postings get archived. If you think I've cited something, post a URL for it.

Previously you asserted I'd said 90%. Now it's 85% or 90%. What does
that say about your memory?

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/08/honda-refueling-station-ed01.jpg

OK.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Spot on as always!

"Sylvia gave a figure of 90% last year or around there. "

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

That would be "Sylvia gave a figure of 90% or around there last year."

I'm still waiting to see you provide any evidence.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

seems to be a pet topic of yours.

Results 1 - 10 of about 22 for author:else electrolysis

going through those would be like putting on a Willie Nelson tape

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

So not yet any evidence. The fact that I've discussed electrolysis is
not the same is saying that I've asserted a particular level of efficiency.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

You obviously don't know how much power and how slow the process is to get
the hydrogen using electricity.

Impractical, inefficient and not even remotely cost effective - or
environmentally friendly.

There is no free lunch.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Honda HOME Refuelling Station

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/08/honda-refu =
eling-station-ed01.jpg

Electrolysis is very efficient.

You put 2 electrodes in distilled water.

RAINWATER WILL WORK!

add a pinch of salt for catalyst!

you get Hydrogen bubbles on one wire and Oxygen on the other!

H2 is the perfect 100% no losses, works forever, from water, BATTERY!

IN scuba sized Tanks!

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/08/honda-refueling-station-ed01.jpg

The electrical power required to generate the hydrogen is greater than the
amount of hydrogen produced. It's not efficient. And it's slow, so very
slow.

It would take years to produce enough hydrogen to run a hydrogen car for one
day using a 12V battery!

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

That is not true, but then I'm not such a naysay FUD-master with
energy investments at risk, like yourself.

Fuel cells are capable of delivering 60% efficiency from H2 and O2,
with zero CO2 and even zero NOx if the N2 is never made hot enough or
introduced to begin with.

 http://groups.google.com/groups/search
 http://translate.google.com /#
 Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/94%Guth Venus94%

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

I'm all for clean, renewable energy... but I'm a realist also.

That's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes... but they don't change the facts as
they stand today. It's an inefficient process.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
The all-inclusive benefits far outweigh any negatives that you and
others of your mainstream perpetual naysay kind always have to offer.

Mokenergy derived hydrogen and oxygen from solar energy is relatively
cheap and perhaps gets us as close to renewable as it ever needs to
get.  Unfortunately there's no enforced law making any of us use such
technology, although there are enforced policies making us go to war
over hydrocarbons and to otherwise pay for its Karma.

Are you also opposed to thorium fueled reactors?

 http://groups.google.com/groups/search
 http://translate.google.com /#
 Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/94%Guth Venus94%

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

William Mook will have your naysay mindset fixed, or tossed
overboard.  Actually direct conversion via solar energy isn't all that
inefficient, especially withen the raw power source is unlimited,
renewable and free for the taking.  We could even make, store and
distribute HTP via solar energy.  Boeing now claims having a 100+%
efficient PV technology, that's spendy as hell but it'll become cheap
if give to the likes of India and China to develop those commercially
viable and otherwise end-use PV panels for us.

 http://groups.google.com/groups/search
 http://translate.google.com /#
 Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/94%Guth Venus94%

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Not really, remember that producing a new Volt and the solar array required
to power it would produce more CO2 than driving a $500 20 year old Commodore
(for instance) for the life of the Volt and the solar array.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**Interesting. Of course you have some data to back that claim?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

The carbon footprint of building a new car is pretty well documented.
Driving an existing car that is already older than the life expectancy of
the typical electric/hybrid obviously reduces your carbon footprint.

Then there is the fact that an electric car can't pull the skin off a
custard.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**So, driving an old electric/hybrid is the best of all options. I get
your point.

**Really? How about this:

http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster /

3.7 secs to 100kph is respectable acceleration in anyone's language.

Then, of course, there is this one (not yet for sale):

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

Under 5 secs to 100kph is quicker than lots of vehicles.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Yes, but as revs increase the torque tapers off to nothing making them
completely useless for towing (beyond taking off perhaps where maximum
torque is available at 0 revs) or high speed acceleration.

The X might be able to carry 7 midgets but you won't get anything like the
range or performance out of the thing with a load like that.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Isn't that a bit like saying a porche is useless for shipping freight.
electric cars are generally solf for a particular use.
In any case, it is simply a matter of designing the control circuits to
handle the situation.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

You can buy a Porsche quite capable of towing. You can't buy any electric
car suitable for towing or long range driving load carrying.

Restricted by their inherent problems from other uses you mean.

Electric motors don't produce torque at high revs, that's a fundamental
design limitation. If you use gearing you then increase the load and power
consumption, reducing their range.
So you end up with a light weight chassis, incapable of towing and bloody
expensive to produce.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
Nope,

1) Same as in a conventional IC motor vehicle.
2) Oh, you want everything, hint wiring. Shrug, it works for trains.

Shrug, in practical terms, the electric cars I see around(not the wanker
symbols) are all standard vehcile bodies retofitted.

Any modern car body is "expensive to produce" if you are producing low
numbers.The advantage of modern pressed car frames is their lightweight.
Suitability to towing is a trade off. Keep them long enough and/or do
enough towing and you bend them.

Site Timeline