What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power? - Page 13

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

It's fine. I drove a BMW 1 Series recently and it restarts with no
noticeable delay. It was very disconcerting at first because, in
addition to the worry about restarting it, when the engine stops you
think you have stalled it.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**I thought a little more on this comment. Buying a Volt is no more
suspect that buying a BMW X5 so mum can drop the kids to school.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
you plonk a
yourself a
power supplied
many
circumstances.
no

That we can sort of agree on. Both types are just total wankers with more
money... Err, I mean "credit" than sense, and trying to "make a statement",
impress similar wankers, think they wil
l somehow appear "special" or "superior" in some strange way whereas in reality
they are a joke.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

It's a dumb question. The inference is that one day, solar will become
'cheaper' so everyone will switch over. But things become cheaper when
people *don't* want them as well as when there's an abundant supply. The
situation already exists in places like Europe, where green generators are
having to flog their power at knockdown prices because of the large supply
variance.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Though there's a difference. If green generators are having to sell
power at knockdown prices, it's because they cannot externalise the cost
of the variance - the market factors it into the price.

With domestic PV cells, and with anything like the current way things
are regulated, consumers ARE able to to externalise the cost of the
variance - they get to force the retailer to buy power from them at a
price determined by the government for political reasons, and with the
variance not taken into account.

Sylvia.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Yes, just one of the legion of market failures that are endemic in the
energy market. It'll get squeezed out if renewables become more dominant.

Site Timeline