What happened to SBS TV ?

Hi,

a few months back, all the SBS channels disappeared from my DSE "G7659" standard def STB. So, I rescanned the whole band = no change, so I opened the unit and gave it a clean and service = no change.

Must be faulty tuner, I thought - no biggie as my main (flat screen) picks up all channels fine.

Last night, a neighbour's STB went dead so I loaned them mine and apologised for the lack of SBS. Then I pulled my spare DSE box out of storage and found it too had no SBS despite also being rescanned.

Two faulty tuners ? That IS very fishy.

After about 30 minutes Googling, I finally found that SBS in Sydney has moved frequency right back to VHF !! All the previous UHF signals are now on VHF channel 7 - nominally at

184.625 MHz.

So WTF is wrong with the two DSE boxes, why can't they see the new signal ?

I had not tried the "manual tune" function until just now, cos you need to know the frequency ( or channel number) of a transmitter to use it.

Bingo.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

One of my PC tuners was unable to receive SBS after the change, even though it worked fine for all the other channels, and the other tuner (different brand) had no trouble.

Unfortunately, while trying to diagnose the problem further, I seem to have killed the tuner while moving it to a different box (static, I suspect), and any system that contains it won't work at all.

Your experience just supports my notion that there's indeed something fishy about the SBS signal.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Had the same problem with my PC tuner software "DV Scheduler" (sydney.edu.au/engineering/it/~efax/DVScheduler.html)

Seems to retain old frequency information somewhere, changed from: 571500 Hz To: 184500 Hz, works fine.

Reply to
Vote 99% Greens

My Tivo gets SBS no problems, but neither of the two TVs on the same antenna will get it.

Reply to
keithr

I can't help you with SBS; I had problems with ABC.

I spent four hours building a table of networks, channels, programs, and physical tower location to do my retune, after a factory settings-reset. In retrospect, that was overkill, but I learned some interesting things. The attached file might not be 100% accurate (locations in particular are ambiguous from the government site where I looked up the data) but it might help someone.

Interestingly, though ABC's main channel is transmitted from three towers, it's better from either of the ones that isn't just 5km from here in Gore Hill. That transmitter is putting up only 50kW on a tower with almost 1MW of other TV transmitters, so maybe that's the reason. The signal is better from 50km away out past Richmond...

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I have an LG STB, which was pretty good - it would even work with an indoor antenna. Now it struggles with SBS using the rooftop antenna. I suspect they have reduced power.

Reply to
116e32s

You'd surely have to have something wrong with the antenna or feed.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

** Not likely.

But your antenna may have more gain at their old UHF frequency than VHF 7.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison