What happened to my sound card?

My computer speakers died suddenly with a blown fuse. I assumed it was
the speaker power supply so I replaced the speakers with a pair of
cheap ones that also died (no sound and the power light was off). I
could only blame the sound card so I replaced it and the fuse and all
is well. What could go wrong with a sound card that would cause this?

Re: What happened to my sound card?

--------------090801040104090207010008

I am knew here but it sounds like when your speakers blew out you had a
surge that luckily stoopped at your sound card. I am a believer of
battery backups most surge protectors are a joke. I would like to here
of a good surge protector that I could trust. but with battery backups
getting better and cheaper I even have one on my wireless phone. the one
on my computer will shut it down properly during power outage.

Don D Brock

--------------090801040104090207010008

begin:vcard
fn:Don D Brock
n:Brock;Don D
email;internet: snipped-for-privacy@efn.org
tel;home:541-942-3932
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard

--------------090801040104090207010008--

Re: What happened to my sound card?

Thanks Don but I am inclined to think that whatever was wrong with my
sound card killed both sets of speakers. I just don't see what fault
could cause that.

Interestingly, I have just come to the same conclusion that you have
about power protection and UPSs. I'm not sure if my troubles started
just before or just after I installed my new Powerware 5110. At around
$100.00 its about the same price as a quality surge suppressor.

Re: What happened to my sound card?

--------------050002060200070702090603

what is a Powerware 5110, is that a surge protector or battery backup?.
I lived in a 8 story building the first time I got a battery backup I
lost 3 mother boards 5 modems a monitor or 2 before I purchased a
battery backup until then I used surge protectors I also believe your
phone cord needs to be protected. since I have had a battery backup most
my problems have been with software and recently I did lose a monitor

Don D Brock

--------------050002060200070702090603

begin:vcard
fn:Don D Brock
n:Brock;Don D
email;internet: snipped-for-privacy@efn.org
tel;home:541-942-3932
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard

--------------050002060200070702090603--

Re: What happened to my sound card?

It's a UPS <http://www.powerware.com/UPS/5110_UPS.asp but includes
"Automatic Voltage Protection" for transient under and over voltages.