What can I do to keep this board from warping? - Page 2

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

  You're an idiot, and every solder joint anyone you ever supervised was
improperly constructed.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

  You wouldn't know what was right if it bit you in the ass.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

  No, I have seen the results of 800 retarded pencil-tip geeks.  You
have no clue what is or is not obvious.

  You're an idiot.  NASA was not about temperature, they were about the
mass of the solder joint.  Sorry, but you cannot guess your way around
everything.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

I think it might be time to review the meds Lever Boy.    ; )

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

  I've got nine inches of 'boy' to go up in your fat ass with, little
girl.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

On 9/30/2009 5:04 PM Archimedes' Lever spake thus:

Sounds like a proposal to me!

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

I'd take him up on it only I suspect his Boy has has "made in china"
imprinted on its base.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

  100% pure US citizen here, and my base only has "It ALL belongs to me"
imprinted on it.

  You wish you could take me up on it.  Problem is, I'd rather go up in
you with a fast moving hunk of lead, so your encounter may not turn out
the way you would like it to.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

Tin the tracks with hot solder on the side outside the curve, as it
cools and contracts it will straighten the board.

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

I'd probably try a couple of methods which may or may not help. In welding,
the welds are often alternated from one side to the other, as the cooling
phase causes distortion. The alternating method minimizes distortion.

Another method that I'd consider, would be to raise some of the axial-lead
components slightly above the board surface, where space permits. A shim of
file folder material may be enough to leave a small gap, so the lead
positions wouldn't be so rigid. (the shim removed after the solder cools).

Jumper wires (soldered with a shim underneath them, or a slight hump) placed
laterally where they wouldn't interfere with other components or signals,
may add some flexibility to the overall assembly.

--
Cheers,
WB

Re: What can I do to keep this board from warping?

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:02:55 -0700 (PDT), mickgeyver

  Purchase rigid (of course) Silica plates (heat sink media).  You could
very likely get 0.020" thickness, no problem.  You could also likely get
the exact size you need as well.  Then you proto by dead bug (or not)glue
the chips and other parts on, and hand wire the nodes between them.  Your
proto could then turn into a flex circuit to replace all the hand wiring
for the SMD circuitry, glued (attached) onto one of your already existing
Silica base plates that you bought say 100 of for the first proto and
production runs.

  As small as it looked, I could easily build many of them a day even as
proto style.  But the flex circuit with the heat absorbing capable Silica
back plate sounds like a candidate for being called a solution.

Site Timeline