what are "trade" prices?

There's an electronics store in Ashfield that advertises prices for
"trade". Does this mean that possession of an ABN will get you these good
prices, or what exactly does one need to do to be eligible for their
"trade" prices? It doesn't have anything to do with the quantity of goods
purchased, does it?

Would it be enough to given them my sister's ABN (her "Majestic Cake
Decorations" business or something) and let them know I am picking up an
order for the boss?
--
John Savage                   (my news address is not valid for email)

Re: what are "trade" prices?

"John Savage"

 **  Who could that be   ???

 **  Supply proof of being  " in the electronics trade ".

 ** Nope.

**  WES require a written order on each occasion that indicates the buyer is
someone involved in the electronics repair trade or a professional user of
electronics.

   It is basically a trade discount.

.............   Phil

Re: what are "trade" prices?

All that's required for a WES account is an ABN and a pulse.

Re: what are "trade" prices?

"Poxy"

** As I do not have an account with WES I have no experience of what rules
they apply for opening one  -  WES management can make 'em up and break them
at whim.

But the OP's question was not about opening an account.

It was about making a counter purchase.

...........   Phil

Re: what are "trade" prices?

It's quite legal to operate a business without an ABN, and some do.
Nor is there any reason for a supplier to require a customer's ABN
unless they're writing a tax invoice for more than $1,000 and don't
have an address -- ATO requires one or the other.

I still use their pre-GST order form, since I 've never bothered to
scan the current one, and they've never asked for an ABN (which I do
have).  I also have a customer number.

Originally they required an account application, though if they're
like most trade suppliers they probably accept cash orders over the
counter from non-account customers.

--
John H

Re: what are "trade" prices?

"John_H"

** As I read the rules, to avoid having an ABN a business must have income
below the threshold AND not supply goods or services to other businesses  -
or else withholding tax must be taken from those invoices.

**  They can still ask for it as an identifier.

** The WES customer number is to let them keep track of your buying habits
and allow mail outs.

 **  Read the heading  -  what is it asking ??

...........    Phil

Re: what are "trade" prices?

Correct.

Incorrect. Tho many of those would prefer to be
able to claim the GST credit on their inputs, some
dont necessarily care with minor transactions.

You've mangled that completely. Thats what
applys to PAYMENTS, not to purchases.

The customer number is that.

Its there for more than just that.

Impossible to say with any certainty.

Re: what are "trade" prices?

"Rod Speed"

**  Wait for the rest of the sentence -  FUCKWIT  !!

**  Try learning to read  - FUCKWIT .

**  Learn to read -  FUCKWIT  !!!

 **  Learn to read -  FUCKWIT  !!!

............   Phil

Re: what are "trade" prices?

Go and fuck yourself, TOASTER MOLESTING WELFARE BLUDGER.

<reams of some toaster molesting welfare bludger's desperate
attempts to bullshit its way out of its predicament that fooled
absolutely no one at all, as always, flushed where it belongs>

Re: what are "trade" prices?

"Rod Speed"

**  ROTFLMAO  -   the mad robot could not possibly be more wrong.

............   Phil

Re: what are "trade" prices?

Some terminal fuckwit welfare bludging toaster molester claiming to be
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Re: what are "trade" prices?

Hmm, that's a good one.
Straight from the mouth of a 13 year old.

-mark

Re: what are "trade" prices?

It usually just means that they claim to be selling
the items for what a retailer would pay for them.

Thats often a lie.

Usually not, few advertise like that with real
trade prices that require an ABN to get.

If they are real trade prices, its often just claiming to be in the trade.

It can do.

Depends on the operation. Many just want an ABN
and dont give a flying red fuck what business its in.

And its better not to ask, just act as if you are in the trade,
provide the ABN if its asked for, and dont say anything if it isnt.

Re: what are "trade" prices?

I thought that trade just got you a discount off the RRP whereas buying an
item for what a retailer does was considered wholesale??

Mike

Re: what are "trade" prices?

"Mike Paull"
 "Rod Speed"

**  Back when we had the old wholesale sales tax system,  the amount of tax
was calculated on the price paid at the transaction immediately prior to
sale to an end user.

So a retail shopkeeper paid sales tax on his ( taxable) purchases, so would
a tradesman buying materials etc.  The tax was collected by tax office
registered wholesalers  -  who then paid it to the tax office.

However, any retailer could offer a "trade discount" to customers who were
intending to "on sell"  the items  -  as a means of attracting business.
The discounted prices would often be the same as or better than those
offered by regular wholesalers  -   particularly if the retailer was making
bulk purchases from manufactures or was involved in direct importing.

As any sales tax would have been paid at an earlier stage in the chain it
would be a smaller amount.

This is what WES Components have long done.

...........    Phil

Re: what are "trade" prices?

Nope, 'trade' is another name for someone in the industry.

Re: what are "trade" prices?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:55:48 GMT, John Savage

WES seem to be fairly relaxed about this. Tell them you will be paying
cash up front (credit card is perfect), and occasionally order five or
more of something. The repair trade is dying, and much of the
otherwise uneconomical repair work is done by very small businesses,
retired techs, and backyarders. WES appear to understand this. After
all, which thriving business would buy a $30 video head for a $50 VCR,
or a $50 laser for a $100 music system?

- Franc Zabkar