What about Melbourne ? - Page 2

Re: What about Melbourne ? - Nostalgia for long gone shops.

    How could I forget Rod Irving's? They sold cheap EA ESR meter kits
with no microcontroller, containing a note telling the purchaser to get
it from the author, who knew nothing about it until he copped a whole
lot of abuse from irate constructors.
    I think Rockby may have moved into the RIE building in Renver Rd
when RIE (deservedly IMHO) went out of business.

Re: What about Melbourne ? - Nostalgia for long gone shops.

Here's another story about RIE:

http://www.danielbowen.com/2004/03/19/big-ears /

Re: What about Melbourne ? - Nostalgia for long gone shops.

Actually Rocky not only moved into the same building they bought the
remaining stock too. From my childhood I do remember All Electric
Components and the special trips into the city ( i lived in Dandenong ) as
a youngster on the train. I also have find memories of riding to the DSE in
Springvale and hanging around there, used to love playing on the computers
they had set up which I think were Cat's, System-80s, a Feranti (?) pc
compatible and so on.

Mike

Re: What about Melbourne ? - Nostalgia for long gone shops.

These people do!

http://www.ecse.monash.edu.au/alumni/Alumni2.html

Re: What about Melbourne ? - Nostalgia for long gone shops.

my

Yes, "Neveready" hasn't changed much over the years :-)

MrT.

Re: What about Melbourne ?

In another life when I lived in Melbourne, it used to be the only place to
go to get most components.

Re: What about Melbourne ?

I was an electronics and communications student at the RMIT in the early
70s ... McGrath's  - in Little Lonsdale, between Swanston and Elizabeth -
was one of our happy hunting grounds.  Spent many hours browsing there
(probably goofing off from class, more like it).

Another place not mentioned in this thread (I don't think) was the
disposals store in Lonsdale Street, opposite Myers.  All I remember was
scads of old stuff ... old (ex-wartime?) radios, equipment etc.  The floor
was uneven - in fact, it seemed as though the owners had just thrown coils
of old cable on the floor and let everyone walk on it.   (Found a
similar-looking store - without the "unique" flooring - when I discovered
the George Taylor disposals store outside Warrnambool, in south-west
Victoria, many years later).

Re: What about Melbourne ?

"Harold"  wrote

Another place not mentioned in this thread (I don't think) was the
disposals store in Lonsdale Street, opposite Myers.

***** IIRC,the last gasps of Vealls,who were retailers, manufacturers of
radio sets,tape recorders etc.

Brian g.

Re: What about Melbourne ?

I don't think it was Vealls, Brian.  ISTR Vealls being on the same side of
Lonsdale as Myers, but just a bit closer to Swanston Street.

Re: What about Melbourne ?

"Harold" wrote

I don't think it was Vealls, Brian.  ISTR Vealls being on the same side of
Lonsdale as Myers, but just a bit closer to Swanston Street.

***** The mob I am (wrongly) thinking of were Homecrafts at 290 Lonsdale
Street near the corner of Lonsdale St. and Drewery Lane which is on the
opposite side of Londsale St to Myers.

Still need to find out about Vealls! (I do know they manufactured "Velco"
radios and Tape Recorders).

Mea Culpa!!!!

Regards,Brian G

Re: What about Melbourne ?

The store I am trying to remember was on the same side of Lonsdale Street
as Homecrafts (I vaguely remember them being there), but just a bit
further down towards Elizabeth Street.

Just found a dead link that referred to Vealls as being at 243 Swanston
Street, Melbourne, and at 299 Chapel St, Prahran.

And there's a Vealls now listed at 63 Murphy Street in Richmond, which may
be related to the original firm.
http://www.vealls.com.au /

 Not required.

Ditto,  H.