Weller heating element problem

Hi all,

My Weller soldering iron heater carked it recently (TC208 24v 42w) so
after testing found that the heating element was open circuit.

This was no big deal, just went to my local industrial supply place that
deals with Cooper Tools (the Weller Distributor) and ordered a new one.
I have done this previously in the past with no problems.

I received a phone call from my dealer telling me that Cooper Tools
wouldn't sell them a replacement element "as it was dangerous" and that
the iron had to be sent to them for repairs. This is not a warranty
claim- the iron is about 20 years old.

Has anyone else come across this type of crap from Cooper Tools or can I
be pointed to somewhere that sells these items without hassle.

I've tried to support the local Australian distributors and will
probably end up buying it from a US source without drama.

Thanks.

Re: Weller heating element problem
testing found that the heating element was open circuit.
with Cooper Tools (the Weller Distributor) and ordered a new one. I have done
this previously in the past with no problems.
sell them a replacement element "as it was dangerous" and that the iron had to
be sent to them for repairs. This is not a warranty claim- the iron is about 20
years old.
pointed to somewhere that sells these items without hassle.
up buying it from a US source without drama.

Buy a new Hakko, I want to buy one but my 10 years old (previous model) Hakko
doesn't want to break down...
Tom

Re: Weller heating element problem
Buying a new iron is certainly looking like an option. It's unfortunate
though as I've had this one for a long time and really like it as an
iron. Tips etc have never been a problem. Sounds like Hakko is a brand
of choice as an alternative as several repliers suggest this brand.

I'll have a look into these. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Re: Weller heating element problem

We use Hakko at my work, they last a long time. We have some very old
models going strong after years and parts seems not a problem. My own at
home is 7-8 years old and had not one problem yet but it only get hobby use.

Funny enough my company is part of Cooper but to get Weller tools from
sister company we would have to go through lot of paperwork and wait few
months, we order Hakko tools or parts and they arrive next day.

Tom

Re: Weller heating element problem

**Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The best side cutters I have ever
owned (and I've owned most of the premium brands) was made in the US by the
(wait for it) Diamond Tool and Horseshoe Company. Seriously tough cutting
edge that lasts for years. Well made and modestly priced (about 50% cheaper
than the Swedish stuff). When it came time to replace my cutters a few years
back, I looked everywhere and couldn't locate a replacement. I finally
tracked them down. Cooper Tools had bought out the company and shut them
down. Cooper kindly offered to sell me their replacement, which I tried and
rejected. More Cooper Tools crap.

I now avoid ALL Cooper Tools products where possible. Bastards.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Weller heating element problem

:> On 10/04/2011 8:20 PM, Art Vanderlay wrote:
:>> Tom wrote:
:>>> On 10/04/2011 6:03 PM, Art Vanderlay wrote:
:>>>> Hi all,
:>>>>
[...]
:>>>
:>>> Buy a new Hakko, I want to buy one but my 10 years old (previous
:>>> model) Hakko doesn't want to break down...
:>>> Tom
:>> Buying a new iron is certainly looking like an option. It's
:>> unfortunate though as I've had this one for a long time and really
:>> like it as an iron. Tips etc have never been a problem. Sounds like
:>> Hakko is a brand of choice as an alternative as several repliers
:>> suggest this brand. I'll have a look into these. Thanks to everyone for
:>> their input.
:>
:
:**Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The best side cutters I have ever
:owned (and I've owned most of the premium brands) was made in the US by the
:(wait for it) Diamond Tool and Horseshoe Company. Seriously tough cutting
:edge that lasts for years. Well made and modestly priced (about 50% cheaper
:than the Swedish stuff). When it came time to replace my cutters a few years
:back, I looked everywhere and couldn't locate a replacement. I finally
:tracked them down. Cooper Tools had bought out the company and shut them
:down. Cooper kindly offered to sell me their replacement, which I tried and
:rejected. More Cooper Tools crap.
:
:I now avoid ALL Cooper Tools products where possible. Bastards.

I remember having a pair of Diamond Tool brand 4-1/2" side-cutters way back in
the 60's and they were the hardest edged blade I had come across. Somebody
unoficially "borrowed" (stole) them and I never got them back.

In the mid 70's Diamond Tool branded their side cutters Diamalloy and while
Diamond no longer exists you can occasionally pick up a bargain on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DIAMALLOY-TOOLS-FLUSH-CUT-SHEARS-PLIERS-CUTTER-USA-/380324736817?pt=Pliers&hash=item588d1eef31

I still have a near new pair of circa 1970's Diamalloy 4" side cutters and while
they are good they aren't quite as hard as the old 60's era product and they
don't use a boxed joint.

Other good brands no longer in existence or subsumed by the bigger tool makers
were Vanaloy (USA now gone), Ahrem (Germany now gone), Elliot Lucas (now Spear &
Jackson owned and not as good) and one unknown brand simply stamped "K B B".
These all used extremely well made boxed joints and good hard steel. Lindstrom
(Sweden) http://www.lindstromtools.com/index.htm are still going but their
cutters are no longer forged nor do they use boxed joints. These days they use
rivet or screw joints which are not nearly as good as boxed. They are also
expensive out here.

Re: Weller heating element problem

**They're ones. I asked my brother to sharpen my last set. He swore at me. A
hard edge has one big downside, when it comes to sharpening the blade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DIAMALLOY-TOOLS-FLUSH-CUT-SHEARS-PLIERS-CUTTER-USA-/380324736817?pt=Pliers&hash=item588d1eef31

**Thanks for spotting that. Looks like a bargain for the price. Even
allowing for freight.

**Bloody oath.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Weller heating element problem

I like my orthodontic wire-cutters. Box jointed, carbide-tipped,
stainless-steel, made in Germany for clipping hardened high-tensile wires.

I guess they were expensive too, except my father was an orthodontist.

You might find
<http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/12211575/Orthodontic_Plier_Heavy_Duty_With_T.html
or something like it that works for you.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Weller heating element problem
<http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/12211575/Orthodontic_Plier_Heavy_Duty_With_T.html

**I use a few dental tools. In the main, they're superb tools, that keep
their edge. One is constantly by my side. Dunno what it is called, but I use
it for scraping PCBs. It's kept it edge for at least a decade or so.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

:> On 04/13/11 13:48, Ross Herbert wrote:
[...]

There is a German company, Bernstein, whose electronics cutters look to be quite
good (they use boxed joints)
http://www.bernstein-werkzeuge.de/Electronic%20Pliers.html

The range includes hard wire cutters and they are sold in Aus by Mektronics (I
think RS and Farnell as well but haven't checked). I don't think they are
cheap....
http://www.mektronics.com.au

Re: Weller heating element problem

The new hakko tellytubby style is a bit much for me. Mektronics sell a
Chinese clone of the old hakko (903?). They're identical and I suspect that
they come from the factory that produced them for hakko. (and yes, I also
prefer hakko to weller - I own both)

Re: Weller heating element problem

this is the first bad review about Weller i have heard so far..

personally...i got a Weller Magnastat station 18 years ago....and its a
model since late 70's...actually, the one i got was a gift was from some old
electronic servicer that was retired...i have replaced 3 or 4 bits so far at
price of aprox 5 US$ each...and all working perfect...

i LOVE my Weller, so i bought newer one Magnastat also....10 years ago...and
its perfect....if you know how to handle the bits then it can last for a
long time...i changed only 1 bit  so far on newer one...

i still have loads of iron solders of all kinds....but Weller one is turned
on for almost 24/7 and i never had any bad experience nor i had any info
about somone with bad impressions aobut it...

@Art; here in Croatia, you can buy any part of Weller spare part at our
local Weller certified distributor  with no dramas at all...i am very
surprised you got such a issues with it over there in Australia..i think
they are trying to rip you off for service fee....

just for example Elmatis, one of where i always go ;
http://www.elmatis.hr/SearchResults.aspx?searchText=weller

5KN = 1US$

Re: Weller heating element problem

One of my two Weller magnastats failed - heating element died. I had trouble
getting an element at a reasonable price so I bought a Hakko 936 for ~$120
and now use that in preference to my other Weller. Easier to change the temp
too!

Re: Weller heating element problem

Weller Magnastat heater is aprox 40 US$ (and thats considered as expensive)
...you got it even on this web site i gave...

Re: Weller heating element problem

Gagi, Only reason, off the top of my head that I can think of that you
aren't having many problems there is that if the mains there is 220v
(like I found it was in Russia), then the element is having a much
easier life, and lasting longer due to the 5% reduced voltage.
Australia is 240v and often exceeds this, and most international
products would be made for European 220v.

Most people consider this to be "close enough" but that is NOT always
the case in real life with some electrical items.

Re: Weller heating element problem

true..we used to have 220V in main network....but gues what....10 years ago
they did raise the Voltage up to 230V....main reason for that was coz at
some far sided places at the end of sub-trafo station the Volatage would
drop even below 200V sometimes...so, by raising Voltage to 230 - 235V it
never happens again that the drop is below 215V even at the end of power
line far away from sub-trafo station...

i am in the city center and not so far away from central power
ditributor....so, during the day time, power Voltage is in range 228-232V
....while at late night...aprox 3AM Voltage is up to 235V...however, all the
equipment is still working great....while some people  (especially those who
are right next to power distributor station) are complaining as Voltage over
there is much higher, 240-245....sometimes some peaks even up to 250Volts so
they have a problem with burning lightbulbs a lot...

Re: Weller heating element problem

Our nazi government banned light bulbs - so except for those that are
left, this won't be a problem in the future.

Re: Weller heating element problem

since when??
it must be some recent decission?!?

Re: Weller heating element problem

Over a year ago the ban came into force in Australia, and was talked
about for some years before that.  Only special types of incandescent
are allowed to be imported or sold

Do you have all that fraudulent rubbish over there about "carbon
dioxide gas destroying the world and making it warm up/cool down ?

Re: Weller heating element problem

Over a year ago the ban came into force in Australia, and was talked
about for some years before that.  Only special types of incandescent
are allowed to be imported or sold

Do you have all that fraudulent rubbish over there about "carbon
dioxide gas destroying the world and making it warm up/cool down ?

yes, true...we also have such propaganda about CO2 emission....co, the
wolfram light bulbs ban will reduce emission of CO2 coz of less energy that
will be wasted...blah, blah...but honestly...i highly doubt this will be
banned in entire Europe for the next 10 years...especially not in Croatia...

anyway...that CO2 problem related to light bulbs is complete deception
thing...normal light bulbs production line can be established in almost
every country...and production material is available all around the world
easily.....unlike energy saving fluo lights that are usually produced at far
east countries and industrial production line for them is much more complex
and requires sophisticated aproach in general...so, all those elements used
for energy save bulbs and its electronics plus transportation from "China"
to all the round the world is using 10 times more energy to be delivered to
end users hands then he normal one light bulb...

and this is how Weller goes to OT :)))

Site Timeline