Weller heating element problem

Hi all,

My Weller soldering iron heater carked it recently (TC208 24v 42w) so after testing found that the heating element was open circuit.

This was no big deal, just went to my local industrial supply place that deals with Cooper Tools (the Weller Distributor) and ordered a new one. I have done this previously in the past with no problems.

I received a phone call from my dealer telling me that Cooper Tools wouldn't sell them a replacement element "as it was dangerous" and that the iron had to be sent to them for repairs. This is not a warranty claim- the iron is about 20 years old.

Has anyone else come across this type of crap from Cooper Tools or can I be pointed to somewhere that sells these items without hassle.

I've tried to support the local Australian distributors and will probably end up buying it from a US source without drama.

Thanks.

Reply to
Art Vanderlay

testing found that the heating element was open circuit.

with Cooper Tools (the Weller Distributor) and ordered a new one. I have done this previously in the past with no problems.

sell them a replacement element "as it was dangerous" and that the iron had to be sent to them for repairs. This is not a warranty claim- the iron is about 20 years old.

pointed to somewhere that sells these items without hassle.

up buying it from a US source without drama.

Buy a new Hakko, I want to buy one but my 10 years old (previous model) Hakko doesn't want to break down... Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Trevor Wilson" wrote

this is the first bad review about Weller i have heard so far..

personally...i got a Weller Magnastat station 18 years ago....and its a model since late 70's...actually, the one i got was a gift was from some old electronic servicer that was retired...i have replaced 3 or 4 bits so far at price of aprox 5 US$ each...and all working perfect...

i LOVE my Weller, so i bought newer one Magnastat also....10 years ago...and its perfect....if you know how to handle the bits then it can last for a long time...i changed only 1 bit so far on newer one...

i still have loads of iron solders of all kinds....but Weller one is turned on for almost 24/7 and i never had any bad experience nor i had any info about somone with bad impressions aobut it...

@Art; here in Croatia, you can buy any part of Weller spare part at our local Weller certified distributor with no dramas at all...i am very surprised you got such a issues with it over there in Australia..i think they are trying to rip you off for service fee....

just for example Elmatis, one of where i always go ;

5KN = 1US$
Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

One of my two Weller magnastats failed - heating element died. I had trouble getting an element at a reasonable price so I bought a Hakko 936 for ~$120 and now use that in preference to my other Weller. Easier to change the temp too!

Reply to
Dennis

Buying a new iron is certainly looking like an option. It's unfortunate though as I've had this one for a long time and really like it as an iron. Tips etc have never been a problem. Sounds like Hakko is a brand of choice as an alternative as several repliers suggest this brand.

I'll have a look into these. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Reply to
Art Vanderlay

WES Components, Sydney, have these in stock.

Reply to
who where

Weller Magnastat heater is aprox 40 US$ (and thats considered as expensive) ...you got it even on this web site i gave...

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

Farnell (now element 14)

I have had problems with these too, the elements seem to last a couple of years and then just go open circuit. Not good.

Solved the problem by buying an Ersa and later a Hakko 936. Never looked back.

Reply to
kreed

We use Hakko at my work, they last a long time. We have some very old models going strong after years and parts seems not a problem. My own at home is 7-8 years old and had not one problem yet but it only get hobby use.

Funny enough my company is part of Cooper but to get Weller tools from sister company we would have to go through lot of paperwork and wait few months, we order Hakko tools or parts and they arrive next day.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

old

at

and

ed

Gagi, Only reason, off the top of my head that I can think of that you aren't having many problems there is that if the mains there is 220v (like I found it was in Russia), then the element is having a much easier life, and lasting longer due to the 5% reduced voltage. Australia is 240v and often exceeds this, and most international products would be made for European 220v.

Most people consider this to be "close enough" but that is NOT always the case in real life with some electrical items.

Reply to
kreed

**Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The best side cutters I have ever owned (and I've owned most of the premium brands) was made in the US by the (wait for it) Diamond Tool and Horseshoe Company. Seriously tough cutting edge that lasts for years. Well made and modestly priced (about 50% cheaper than the Swedish stuff). When it came time to replace my cutters a few years back, I looked everywhere and couldn't locate a replacement. I finally tracked them down. Cooper Tools had bought out the company and shut them down. Cooper kindly offered to sell me their replacement, which I tried and rejected. More Cooper Tools crap.

I now avoid ALL Cooper Tools products where possible. Bastards.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Interestingly, my Weller W-TCP-D dates back to 1975 (and was a present from my wife-to-be!). Since then it has seen much hobby use, together with running a small service operation and occasional production pcb-stuffing.

In that time, I have had one element failure (replacement ex WES was ~$A30) and have probably devoured ten or so tips. The iron is NOT left turned on when not required.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again.

Reply to
who where

Which, the iron or the wife? ;)

Reply to
Dennis

"kreed" wrote

true..we used to have 220V in main network....but gues what....10 years ago they did raise the Voltage up to 230V....main reason for that was coz at some far sided places at the end of sub-trafo station the Volatage would drop even below 200V sometimes...so, by raising Voltage to 230 - 235V it never happens again that the drop is below 215V even at the end of power line far away from sub-trafo station...

i am in the city center and not so far away from central power ditributor....so, during the day time, power Voltage is in range 228-232V ....while at late night...aprox 3AM Voltage is up to 235V...however, all the equipment is still working great....while some people (especially those who are right next to power distributor station) are complaining as Voltage over there is much higher, 240-245....sometimes some peaks even up to 250Volts so they have a problem with burning lightbulbs a lot...

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

hat

e.

at

n I

If the wife buys him a soldering iron as a present, then that is one hell of a woman

Reply to
kreed

go

the

e who

ver

so

Our nazi government banned light bulbs - so except for those that are left, this won't be a problem in the future.

Reply to
kreed

If the wife buys him a soldering iron as a present, then that is one hell of a woman

==========================

I was going to add a comment about the wife keeping the sponge wet for me but in the interests of good taste I won't.

Reply to
Dennis

"kreed" wrote

since when?? it must be some recent decission?!?

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

Over a year ago the ban came into force in Australia, and was talked about for some years before that. Only special types of incandescent are allowed to be imported or sold

Do you have all that fraudulent rubbish over there about "carbon dioxide gas destroying the world and making it warm up/cool down ?

Reply to
kreed

Over a year ago the ban came into force in Australia, and was talked about for some years before that. Only special types of incandescent are allowed to be imported or sold

Do you have all that fraudulent rubbish over there about "carbon dioxide gas destroying the world and making it warm up/cool down ?

yes, true...we also have such propaganda about CO2 emission....co, the wolfram light bulbs ban will reduce emission of CO2 coz of less energy that will be wasted...blah, blah...but honestly...i highly doubt this will be banned in entire Europe for the next 10 years...especially not in Croatia...

anyway...that CO2 problem related to light bulbs is complete deception thing...normal light bulbs production line can be established in almost every country...and production material is available all around the world easily.....unlike energy saving fluo lights that are usually produced at far east countries and industrial production line for them is much more complex and requires sophisticated aproach in general...so, all those elements used for energy save bulbs and its electronics plus transportation from "China" to all the round the world is using 10 times more energy to be delivered to end users hands then he normal one light bulb...

and this is how Weller goes to OT :)))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag