Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which? - Page 2

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I use mine for editing photos and PCB work as well.

i am talking about professional image editing -- CRT can reproduce more
colors and those are close to real ones you will get at printing.

Rudolf

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

The psuedo standard CRT for photography/graphics/colour is the Sony
Artisan monitor, which will set you back around US$2000, if you can
still buy one.

For around AU$2000, one can now buy an EIZO monitor the same size as
the Sony. Couple this with a McBeth Eye-One or a SPyder calibrator and
you have what the Pro's use.

There is also quite a lot off buzz surounding the LaCie monitors for
professional use. It seems these are fast becoming the Artisan version
of the LCD, and they come with a calibrator. These are sitting close
to AU$3000 for a 21", so they almost beat the Artisan for price.

I think you will struggle to find many pro's that still use CRT's
these days.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:37:31 +1000, The Real Andy

Oh, and I almost missed the new player on the block, NEC.

http://www.necdisplay.com/products/ProductDetail.cfm?Product42%5

coming in at nearly US$7000. Its had some good reviews though. This
technology will become the new standard.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:48:23 +1000, The Real Andy

When the price drops a bit I might buy the CAD version. Could be a
while yet though :-(

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Maybe when the price drops of course.

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

The common cause in your CRT monitor is that many of the electrolytic
capacitors become temperature sensitive with age and use. The cost of
servicing your monitor would most likely exceed the replacement value. This
is not a repair you can easily do yourself, unless you are experienced in
servicing monitors.

Much of what you are going on about the life span of LCD monitors is a lot
of hype!  Get yourself a good LCD monitor, and you will be very happy with
it. I would never go back to the CRT type again. In a way I have no choice,
because in about a year, there will be no more available, unless bought
used.

The Viewsonic, and Sony in their higher end models are excellent. I have a
number of Viewsonics, and I am very pleased with them.

--

JANA
_____

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

   So, how long will the 100+ spare CRT monitors I have on hand last for
me? ;-)

prove it.
Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Hype? Most people tell me that after the warranty period ot's just about
finished.

I wonder. First, from what I read yesterday on LG's site, it seems that
you never get 16.7 million colors unless you pay a hefty price and are
ready to cope with a slow response time. Instead, what you get is (2^6)^3
or 262,144 colors and dithering makes it look like 16.2 M colors through
dithering. So a 6 bit panel sould be recognized because specs say 16.2
instead of 16.7 M colors.

Viewsonic never says if their LCD panels are 6 or 8 bit, bever speak about
the number of colors. The VX922 is certainly a 6 bit because it's fast.
What they do say is that unless you get seven burned pixels on a 17 or 19"
monitor, they won't replace it. LG doesn't specify the number, but they do
say that the replacement they'll send you could have dead pixels too, that
producing perfect panels would be too expensive.

So what's the advantage of LCDs? Would you like to cope with 6 dead pixels
on your screen for years? They take less place on your desktop and take
about 2 or 3 dollars worth of electricity less a year. Big deal!

Why? Mine has a refresh rate of 85 Hz at 1280x1024. It's fairly
comfortable to the eye. Do you think a LCD would be any better?

Yes. And it's hard to get outmoded technology fixed at a decent price. But
that doesn't nean the replacement is any better. Think about CD vs vinyl
records. All that can be said in favor of CD, is you couldn't get a good
turntable for that kind of money. But $400 sould get you sound that you'll
never hear from a CD. Maybe when 32 bit sound somes?

What are the models, so I can check the specs. Any one that could sell for
around $350 CAN?

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Very true! Surface noise, Distortion, Rumble, Wow and flutter etc. etc.
(But in fact you can hear them all from CD by simply digitally recording the
vinyl record)

Seems this load of old bollocks will never disappear!

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

True enough, but phonographs have "personality" and some people can't get
enough of that. I agree that if one does a competent job of digitizing an LP
to a CD the results do sound remarkably like the original LP. I've had some
pretty good results copying vinyl to the computer, cleaning up with DcArt or
CoolEdit, and putting on CD. It's a tedious process though, especially doing
manual pop - and - click removal. Thankfully more and more of the old music
has been re-issued on CD anyway.

Mark Z.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?
keyboard and composed:

Or you could take a "perfect" digital recording and add the nostalgic
artifacts with appropriate software.

I suppose one could also simulate a CRT monitor on an LCD by using
software to add a black border, out-of-focus corner regions, vertical
and horizontal linearity variances, pincushion, and colour convergence
problems. One could also simulate EHT regulation issues by shrinking
or expanding the image when the brightness varies. An occasional
simulated HV crackle from the built-in speakers would add to the
nostalgia.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I'll be quite happy to forego all those problems as soon as a flat panel
display provides better contrast, color saturation and gamut as a good CRT,
at a similar price.
(nostalgia is vastly overrated anyway, even if it ain't what it used to be
:-)

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

keyboard and composed:

I'm resisting purchasing an LCD or plasma TV for the same reasons (and
others). The thing I like best about my LCD monitor is its sharpness
and the perfect geometry. My eyes used to water when I had a CRT. Not
so with an LCD. BTW, I don't play games on my PC.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I recently bought one of those DSE 1440x900 LCD monitors. its very nice.

Nor do I play games on my PC. its a tool. I've also had my entire
lifetime quota of games (my folks owned many, many arcade machines when
I was a boy, then I worked for 3 years servicing them before getting a
degree)

I have no intention of buying a fancy TV though - all TV is shit,
regardless of the picture size.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

finger to keyboard and composed:

How about DVDs?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

yep, got hundreds on my last trip to china, at about NZ$1 each.

pissed me off really, when I look at the large stack I already had.

its kinda fun actually, when theres a movie on telly, to say "bugger the
ads" and slap on the DVD.

I have a 29" telly. any bigger and there is no benefit, as the
resolution stays the same, so you have to sit further away....

Personally, I leave the TV off unless watching a movie or a good comedy.
I used to like the news, but the journalism is so superficial it just
annoys me. but the missus likes

Besides, I can feel myself getting stupider while the TV shouts
advertising at me.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

My eyes used to water with a cheap CRT too, so I bought a decent one. End of
problem.
I also get eyestrain with a cheap BenQ LCD, and it's totally *useless* for
graphics work to boot.
So now I am happy with using a good CRT and a LCD in dual monitor set-up.
A larger flat panel display with even higher quality than either will be
nice when they invent one, *and* the price becomes reasonable. In the
meantime a suitable solution exists for me at an acceptable price. It's not
one that many others choose, but that's their decision.

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I've seen that...  if you know someone who's running linux, get then to
run xscreensaver and demonstate the "analogtv", "pong" and/or "apple2"
screensaver modules. analogtv is the best but the other two follow a
similar theme.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

   Just download the Nokia monitor test program from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/nokiamonitortest.html and run the EHT
regulation test. :)

Bob

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

G'day, an experienced technican would use an isolation transformer as
your set is a live chassis, that is above earth, if you don't have
access to an isolation transformer be extremely careful and try the
following. Making sure that the set in unpluged from the mains supply
(power point) remove the rear cover and then attach the normal input
that is aerial/component etc, plug into mains and let it soak (run
until the fault appears, sometimes I have used a hair dryer to generate
excessive heat to induce the fault) when fault appears I would use
Freeze (a can of freeze can be purchased at any spare parts supplier or
even Tandy's) to various components to see if that fixes the problem.
To locate this area look for when the CRT (cathode ray tube) EHT (extra
high tenion) plugs into and follow that down to the boubler/tripler and
flyback/line output transformer. The high voltage that is residual
after turning set off is the EHT and in most sets there is a flat spade
 that attaches to the aquadag (metal cover surrounding the CRT (also
called the picture tube) via a twisted wire connector, I doubt if you
would need to use this. I hope I have given you a couple pointers mate.
cheers gazza

Site Timeline