Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

After only 4 years, my Samsung 950p gave up (I bought it as an end of line
model.) For no apparent reason, sometimes the sides wobble, and then, from
the center towards top and bottom, the screen gets fuzzy. If I change
screen resolution, it's OK. Then, it gets fuzzy and I must change
resolution again. Etc. Samsung suggested that they maybe could fix the
problem for close to the price of a new 19" CRT monitor. Without the
guarantee, of course.

Sometimes the screen is absolutely perfect for an hour or two, so I doubt
it's a big problem but, for a lack of service at a decent price on CRT
monitors, it seems I'll have to scrap it, unless you can give me an idea
of the problem. If it's apparently not a major problem, maybe I could get
somebody to take a look. If not, I'll have to go for a LCD, though I'm
less than enchanted by the technology.

I'm considering 2 LCD monitors. The one that best fits my needs --
writing, browsing the net, looking at pictures, DVDs (well, maybe one day)
-- would be a LG L1952T, also sometimes refered to as L1952TX, apparently.
300 cd/m2, contrast 1400:1, DVI-I (standard DVI, I suppose?), 8ms. Picture
quality seems OK. Price: $289 CAN.

The Viewsonic VX922, is less bright (270 cd/m2), the contrast is not quite
as good (700:1, if I remember well), but it's a 2ms, a monitor for gamers.
  Accordingly, it's $50 more expensive: $339 CAN.

Salesman ALL tell me that I'd be much better off with the Viewsonic. They
tell me that the Viewsonic quality is much better. The VX922 looks like a
hot seller for Viewsonic, so maybe the price is set a bit lower than for
other models.

A friend, who knows more about electronics than I, told me that, besides
pixels dying, the main problem with LCDs is screen fade out. So, unless
Viewsonic's pretention that their light source has a 40,000 hrs long life
(other models have a 50,000 hour life expectancy, though) I suppose I'd
theoretically be better off with the LG.

But I'm not a gamer and never will be. My feeling with LG support is not
very good: they don't even have an 800 number for support!

What is your experience with both Viewsonic and LG? Which monitor would
you go for?

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

(...) I would like to add that the problem seems related to temperature.
The hotter it gets, the worst the problem. Today, the temperature was less
than 15 in Montreal and I used my monitor without any problem for hours
at max resolution.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

open it up and check all the solder, many times an intermitent
fault is a dry join bewlow the flyback transformer.
(if you don't know how too do this safely, ask).
Blow out all the dust. (can't hurt)

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I won't open it up unless I have to. I know nothing about electronics. A
friend of mine repairs TVs, but I don't think he knows much about the
peculiarities of monitors.

I'd be interested to know how to remove the high voltage, though. If the
only choice I have is throw the monitor to the garbage, I'll take a look.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I expect he knows enough to avoid the dangerous bits.

After uplugging the mains there's dangeros voltages stored in two main places
inside the picture tube, and in the reservoir capacitors,  these charges
need to be avoided or dissipated.

If the fault is aging capacitors (and not a dodggy joint), it's a more
involved task... Don't ask you friend to fix it for you. (he probably
gets that line from too may others already) but he be able to give you
some pointers, (and can probably tell your skill level better than I).

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

How do you "dissipate" them? I would have thought it would ne better not
to unplug the monitor, so that it remains groundes, just turn the monitor off.

 From what I see now, it seems I'll buy a new LCD and keep the CRT in a
corner hoping that Gawd will send me the messiah. After a year or two with
no messiah in sight, I'll throw it away.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

with a resistor having legs. Mine is a pair of 11kW tubular dynamic
braking resistors (15mm OD x 200mm), with a nice set of fluke multimeter
leads attached and all inside some nice heatshrink.

leaving the plug attached is a VERY BAD IDEA. That means the chassis is
live up to the switch. In many modern monitors, its not even a mains
switch, so the CHASSIS STAYS LIVE. You have been warned.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

  I'm reading all this on a fairly new Viewsonic VA912b 19" 1280x1024
LCD monitor. It has one dead pixel and a faint blemish about 1" long
near one corner.
   But the brightness, contrast, colour accuracy and sharpness of this
thing (fed from the video card's DVI output) blows away every CRT
monitor I've ever seen... no going back for me. :)

Bob

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I use LCD -- make a lot of difference. It is much easier on eyes than CRT.
But... color reproduction is not as good on LCD as on CRT, so I will not
recommend it for people who do "graphical design".

As for Samsung 950... I would check caps in PS and around FBT as a first
measure.

Rudolf

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

I think I had this argument before, but true colour LCD's can be had.
When you consider the benchmark Sony for graphics/photography is
around US$2000-3000 the LCD's aren't that much more expensive.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

   I take an awful lot of digital photos (or is that a lot of awful
digital photos?). Anyway, I can't see anything wrong with the colour
reproduction of this LCD monitor. I also use it for PCB design and
it's much better in both applications than the CRT monitor it
replaced.
   I always hated LCD monitors, but they seem to be getting a lot
better than the first ones on the market, with very wide viewing angle
and excellent contrast, brightness and colour.
   That's my additional 2c worth anyway.

Bob

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

More than likely if you can't tell the difference between what you
photograph and a normal LCD monitor.

Or your prints presumably.

Protel worked OK on a green screen once upon a time too :-)

Sure, if you can afford a professional one.

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

It seems the debate LCD Vs CRT monitors is ongoing and is akin to
valves Vs transistors in the audio sphere.

My 2c worth...

I have 2 PC's running the same resolution side by side. One has a very
good Radeon 7000 AGP graphics card driving a Sony 19" Multi-scan 400PS
monitor which produces excellent results, while my newer PC - with a
Radeon X600XT PCIE graphics card - uses a Mitsubishi Diamond Digital
171JB (17") LCD monitor. Quite frankly, I still prefer the results
from the latter and I can't see any difference in colour grading or
other factors on photo images from one to the other. The Sony cost me
$1500 a few years ago whereas the LCD cost me around $600 or
thereabouts 12 months back.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Not at all, people pay far more for valve equipment with measureably
inferior performance, because they prefer the sound (for whatever reason) or
the look.
I'd be QUITE happy to pay the same, or similar, for an LCD display with
measureably the same or better color performance as my CRT. Simple as that.
I expect one day I will be able to do so!

I'm glad your happy, but has nothing to do with pricing Vs performance
comparison for non professional monitors at the same time of purchase.
My current Pentium outperforms my old 386 for less dollars too (or even an
old PDP11 :-) but it's hardly relevant.
Name one LCD that outperforms a $200 19" CRT for the same price for example?
Have you actually tried properly profiling your LCD or CRT, or are you just
talking out of the box, uncalibrated performance?

I do admit LCD will win easily very soon, if not already, as CRT's stop
being made. Whatever remains in manufacture will be expensive.
Fortunately there are new technologies on the way to improve flat panel
performance. Hopefully I can wait until then.

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

So you are saying that if you had the choice of a CRT monitor for say
$1500 and an LCD for $600, and their performance was near enough
identical in your view, you would still opt for the CRT?

I gave pricing purely for reference. If I bought a CRT and an LCD
today, of course the prices would be lower. But I would be prepared to
bet that a good CRT which performs as well as a good LCD would still
be more expensive. Therefore, given the equivalence in performance,
and without taking into consideration any other factors, the majority
of people would think that price is relevant.

No, I haven't gone around comparing $200 19" CRT displays at all,
either with other CRT's or LCD's. However, I am damned sure that
finding an LCD to perform as well as your hypothetical $200 CRT would
be all too easy.

I am talking from a purely subjective assessment which is all that
counts for anything other than professional graphics/photographics.
This would account for around 99% of all users.

I think that time is almost here already. Philips, for example, have
teamed up with LG for CRT production and their tubes are now made in
China. Sony have stopped CRT production.

Quite likely that due to the decreasing demand for the best grade of
CRT's for professional applications they will become extremely
expensive, even unjustifiably so, and pricing will force even the
strongest CRT diehards to accept LCD. Perhaps if they can wait long
enough OLED displays will start to become available.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Is that what YOU read?
I did pay that much for a totally crap CRT, but that was 20 years ago and
technology has moved on, just as you have proven.
My last CRT was far better and far cheaper. My LCD bought not long after,
was both dearer and inferior.

That would simply depend on your definition of "good".
However since CRT development and production has almost ceased, LCD's will
inevitably beat CRT's due to non availability of the latter.

example?
just

Let me know when you find one then! At least the CRT is not hypothetical,
but lack of demand means they wont stay in production. In fact there are
very few to choose from these days.

Actually a *large* majority of computer users take digital photo's, then
wonder why the prints look nothing like what they see on the LCD screen.
I hear this complaint all the time. Profiling most LCD's is an interesting
excercise in futility.

Yep, all very unfortunate, but not unexpected.

Isn't that what I've been saying, except the price will also take a while to
fall to mainstream.

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Try getting hold of a Spyder or such like monitor calibration tool. Many
of the LCD screens had poor color consistency across the display
compared to CRT monitors and were difficuly to properly calibrate fpr
professional use.

Still, display technology is getting better all the time and you can't
beat a pair of 17" or 19" LCD's on a PC for a huge productivity gain.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

Sure you can, use a CRT and LCD.

MrT.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 04:49:50 GMT, swanny

Putting it in a nutshell, I concur with your assessment.

Re: Weird problem with Samsung 950p monitor; LG or Niewsonic: which?

  Your comments have been duly noted and given the consideration they
deserve.

Bob

Site Timeline