WEHT: David Reid Electronics

I was having a discussion with someone the other day about Dick Smith back in the 80's, and I seem to recall an outfit possibly by the name of 'David Reid Electronics' ? who iirc were a major player and competitor of DSE in those days. Does anyone remember whatever happened to them?

Reply to
ò¿ó

"ò¿ó"

** One David Reid store is still operating from 127 York Street, Sydney - in the heart of Silicon Alley.

Originally a NZ based business, David Reid set up a shop right next to DSE in Sydney - very much to the annoyance of Herr Smith who was unable to return the favour at the time due to EXTREMELY restrictive import duties applying in NZ.

The NZ import duty laws eventually changed and DSE set up stores across Z - they have the whole joint covered today:

This link explains a bit of the saga:

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

. . .

If you exclude a couple of computer stores, Silicon Alley now comprises Jaycar, DSE, Tandy, and David Reid. Of those, ony Jaycar is not owned by Woolworths Ltd.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

Woolworths bought them in the late 90's. As others have said, the store in York St still exists, although I haven't been in there for many years now. I certainly spent a lot of my childhood making the trek into "silicon alley", with David Reids always being the highlight. Was almost a weekly pilgrimage. Bought my first CRO from Dave Reids.

Of course, one had to drop into Sheridan Electronics on the way home too.

I don't think David Reids were really a major competitor as they didn't have the chain of stores like the others, but a lot of the Silicon Alley business certainly went their way.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I meant to say "only", of course, but on looking at it a bit more, I'm not sure that is correct. Woolies certainly does own a company called "David Reid Electronics", which must somehow date back to the time that DSE bought some part of the business from the Kiwis. However in the Reid Technology page that Phil gave a link to it mentions "The company's sole surviving David Reid Electronics..." - without it being very clear what company they are talking about. It seems strange that Reid Technology would continue to use the name David Reid Electronics for a store if that name was sold to DSE . On the other hand the David Reid Electronics store in York Street bears little resemblance to DSE or Tandy stores.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

D J Reids disappeared in NZ when DSE started up Maybe 20 years ago. In some instances into the same premises. Had their own brand 'Davred' , and had good (better ?) component stock than DSE, and their own range of kitsets.

Really surprised to hear the name still exists !

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

I found a reference in a Woolworths Anual report that says that David Reid Electronics is incorporated in NZ. So perhaps they only bought the NZ chain and not the single store in Sydney? I always assumed it was the store in Sydney that got bought. If that's the case then there is probably no reason why David Reid Electronics can't still continue to own and operate in Australia under that name?

Over the years though Dave Reids in Silicon Alley slowly switched from electronic bits to computer bits, anyone been in there recently?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Andy Wood"

** It aint.

** Not in Australia.

** It is clear that Reid Technology of NZ own the York Street store.

A little search on the ASIC database reveals " REID TECHNOLOGY AUSTRALIA-VESTFROST PTY LIMITED" is the Australian branch.

** The York Street store operates essentially independently, buying stock from sources like Altronics in Perth.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Taken over by DSE. mid/late 80s

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

"jasen" snipped-for-privacy@free.net.nz>

** Fuck Off - you sheep shagging, Kiwi imbecile !!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The David Reid York Street store is privately owned since the death of David a couple of years ago, it is not "yet another Woolworths franchise". Instead of consumer trash, this store still concentrates on componentry, kits, and parts, and there's always an interesting assortment of oddities in the "scrap bins". People who care about where their Australian dollars go are encouraged to use this store. I am forced to disclose that I used to work there, and left due to ill health.

Reply to
Mic

Is this actually in any way related to David Reid Electronics in NZ ?

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Yes that was a wonderful story how that closed down in New Zealand

Once upon a time David Reid Electronics only sold to the trade, Then they decided to screw the trade - lets focus on selling to the public, So people like me, had to go and find other options, We went to TESA & then Trade Tech came along, That did not worry David Reid, their shops was always full, Then the minister of finance of the day "Jenny Shipley" slashed the unemployment benefits, Over night their shops went empty, Then they had these over parties in their shops to try and grab the trade back, But we had our new suppliers now, that filled the gap, like TESA & Trade Tech,

Not long later, they sold out to Dick Smith ha, ha, ha, teach them a lesson for turning their back on the trade.

Reply to
Eric

This newsgroup seems to have "above average" nastiness compared to other newsgroups. Anyone else think this?

Reply to
Friday

Man you think this NG is nasty - read some of the others ....

Reply to
Richard Freeman

David Reid Electronics in Sydney IS independently owned and Not part of the "we want to own and control everything" - chain. It was sold when david passed a couple of years back from memory, but definately went to an independant person.

Reply to
How do u what

Unfortunately, its become a much nastier and much more unfair world for many, and the state of the modern electronics trade in this country (not to mention interest rate and fuel cost rises) doesn't really promote much in the way of happiness for people.

PS: this group is tame compared to some. Havent been to either for some months but try some of the cat related groups, or aus.hi.fi. Im sure there are much worse than this too.

Reply to
Kr