WEHT: David Reid Electronics

I was having a discussion with someone the other day about Dick Smith back
in the 80's, and I seem to recall an outfit possibly by the name of 'David
Reid Electronics' ? who iirc were a major player and competitor of DSE in
those days.
Does anyone remember whatever happened to them?

Re: David Reid Electronics

""

**  One David Reid store is still operating from 127 York Street, Sydney  -
in the heart of Silicon Alley.

Originally a NZ based business, David Reid set up a shop right next to DSE
in Sydney - very  much to the annoyance of Herr Smith who was unable to
return the favour at the time due to EXTREMELY restrictive import duties
applying in NZ.

The NZ import duty laws eventually changed and DSE set up stores across
Z  -   they have the whole joint covered today:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?44e31d68066c3e32273fc0a87f9906e8+EN/catalogs/INF0002131

This link explains a bit of the saga:

http://www.reidtechnology.co.nz/reidprofile.html

.......   Phil

Re: David Reid Electronics

. . .

If you exclude a couple of computer stores, Silicon Alley now
comprises Jaycar, DSE, Tandy, and David Reid. Of those, ony Jaycar is
not owned by Woolworths Ltd.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: David Reid Electronics

I meant to say "only", of course, but on looking at it a bit more, I'm
not sure that is correct. Woolies certainly does own a company called
"David Reid Electronics", which must somehow date back to the time
that DSE bought some part of the business from the Kiwis. However in
the Reid Technology page that Phil gave a link to it mentions "The
company's sole surviving David Reid Electronics..."  - without it
being very clear what company they are talking about. It seems strange
that Reid Technology would continue to use the name David Reid
Electronics for a store if that name  was sold to DSE . On the other
hand the David Reid Electronics store in York Street bears little
resemblance to DSE or Tandy stores.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: David Reid Electronics

I found a reference in a Woolworths Anual report that says that David
Reid Electronics is incorporated in NZ. So perhaps they only bought the
NZ chain and not the single store in Sydney?
I always assumed it was the store in Sydney that got bought.
If that's the case then there is probably no reason why David Reid
Electronics can't still continue to own and operate in Australia under
that name?

Over the years though Dave Reids in Silicon Alley slowly switched from
electronic bits to computer bits, anyone been in there recently?

Dave :)

Re: David Reid Electronics

"Andy Wood"

**  It aint.

**  Not in Australia.

** It is clear that Reid Technology of NZ own the York Street store.

A little search on the ASIC database reveals  " REID TECHNOLOGY
AUSTRALIA-VESTFROST PTY LIMITED"  is the Australian branch.

** The York Street store operates essentially independently, buying stock
from sources like Altronics in Perth.

.......   Phil

Re: David Reid Electronics

The David Reid York Street store is privately owned since the death of
David a couple of years ago, it is not "yet another Woolworths
franchise". Instead of consumer trash, this store still concentrates on
componentry, kits, and parts, and there's always an interesting
assortment of oddities in the "scrap bins". People who care about where
their Australian dollars go are encouraged to use this store. I am
forced to disclose that I used to work there, and left due to ill
health.

Re: David Reid Electronics

Is this actually  in any way related to David Reid Electronics in NZ ?

geoff

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

Woolworths bought them in the late 90's.
As others have said, the store in York St still exists, although I
haven't been in there for many years now.
I certainly spent a lot of my childhood making the trek into "silicon
alley", with David Reids always being the highlight. Was almost a
weekly pilgrimage. Bought my first CRO from Dave Reids.

Of course, one had to drop into Sheridan Electronics on the way home
too.

I don't think David Reids were really a major competitor as they didn't
have the chain of stores like the others, but a lot of the Silicon
Alley business certainly went their way.

Dave :)

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

D J Reids disappeared in NZ when DSE started up Maybe 20 years ago. In some
instances into the same premises. Had their own brand 'Davred' , and had
good (better ?) component stock than DSE, and their own range of kitsets.

Really surprised to hear the name still exists !

geoff

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

Taken over by DSE. mid/late 80s

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

"jasen" snipped-for-privacy@free.net.nz>

 **  Fuck Off   -    you sheep shagging,  Kiwi imbecile !!

........  Phil

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

Yes that was a wonderful story how that closed down in New Zealand

Once upon a time David Reid Electronics only sold to the trade,
Then they decided to screw the trade - lets focus on selling to the public,
So people like me, had to go and find other options,
We went to TESA & then Trade Tech came along,
That did not worry David Reid, their shops was always full,
Then the minister of finance of the day "Jenny Shipley" slashed the
unemployment benefits,
Over night their shops went empty,
Then they had these over parties in their shops to try and grab the trade
back,
But we had our new suppliers now, that filled the gap, like TESA & Trade
Tech,

Not long later, they sold out to Dick Smith
ha, ha, ha, teach them a lesson for turning their back on the trade.

I was having a discussion with someone the other day about Dick Smith back
in the 80's, and I seem to recall an outfit possibly by the name of 'David
Reid Electronics' ? who iirc were a major player and competitor of DSE in
those days.
Does anyone remember whatever happened to them?

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

This newsgroup seems to have "above average" nastiness compared to other
newsgroups. Anyone else think this?

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

Man you think this NG is nasty - read some of the others ....

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

David Reid Electronics in Sydney IS independently owned and Not part of the
"we want to own and control everything" - chain.
It was sold when david passed a couple of years back from memory, but
definately went to an independant person.

Re: WEHT: David Reid Electronics

Unfortunately, its become a much nastier and much more unfair world
for many, and the state of the modern electronics trade in this
country (not to mention interest rate and fuel cost rises) doesn't
really promote much in the way of happiness for people.
PS: this group is tame compared to some.  Havent been to either for
some months but try some of the cat related groups, or aus.hi.fi. Im
sure there are much worse than this too.

Site Timeline